Madisons Staff...

I'm curious what impact Madisons new staff will have on other corps in terms of drawing talent away...I don't expect a significant impact for at least a year but with the recent Changes to the Cavaliers line up I expect the Cavies to lose more talent to Madison than anyone.

What does everyone else think?

I think at best it will be very minor draw (i.e. Scouts alumni of current marching age might come back instead of going elswhere). But, it could slightly hurt retention (if members grew close to staffers who were bumped out of a job for the new staff, they might go elswhere).

We're still talking about a sub-finalist level corps that wasn't close to making finals this year: vs. membership auditioning for a corps that is in the hunt for a Championship (Cavaliers), gunning for Top 6 or 3 (Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats), finalists (Glassmen, Blue Stars), or at least closer to making finals (Colts) than Scouts.

I think it will take until this time next year for the real buzz to happen (assuming Scouts make the competitive adjustments predicted). But I believe that the new staffers at Scouts don't know how to fail, and will probably right the ship for Scouts this season. But I think it will probably take a year for the marching members to see the difference and want to be a part of it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious what impact Madisons new staff will have on other corps in terms of drawing talent away...I don't expect a significant impact for at least a year but with the recent Changes to the Cavaliers line up I expect the Cavies to lose more talent to Madison than anyone.

What does everyone else think?

Please. Get real. I sincerely doubt anyone in Rosemont is sweating loosing kids to Madison because of a few staff announcements. I realize that Madison has brought on some big names and I'm glad they seem to be addressing their weaknesses in a big way but I'd be willing to bet your average, rank-and-file 17 year-old band kid has no idea who these people are. Besides, The Cavaliers, who have 5 DCI World Championships to their name from the last decade alone, probably aren't the least bit threatened by Madison, who have missed finals three times in the last decade. Sorry, folks. Cold, hard facts.

Edited by contrajedi8

I agree. The current college freshman was born in 1991. When the Star staff was in its heyday. I'm willing to bet that many of them never even heard of Star.

That makes me sad... I was born in 1992 and I love Star.

The names on staff are only one of many things that factor into a kid's decision regarding where to audition.

Including the color of the buses. :thumbup:

...Phantom has a lot to do to make up for their 09 showing and this won't help their cause either.

While Phantom's '09 showing was not nearly as successful as the '08 showing, I don't believe that too many people will be running from the #8 finisher

to the #14 just because of staff changes.

I think at best it will be very minor draw (i.e. Scouts alumni of current marching age might come back instead of going elswhere). But, it could slightly hurt retention (if members grew close to staffers who were bumped out of a job for the new staff, they might go elswhere).

Coming from the demographic that you all are talking about, this is VERY true. This hasn't been said much but is true. I don't mean to air dirty laundry or anything, but this is happening. Couple that with the understated fact that the average drum corps rookie doesn't really know much drum corps history and stuff like that, and the fact that rookies don't really know names that well (most of them look at the identity of the corps, not who runs the joint (unless they have an in with whoever runs it)).