Nominee for Best Ballad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freelancers 91 " The Kiss"

That's a great one, too.

It hasn't gotten a mention yet, but I really like the ballad in the 88 Suncoast show.

hmmm... i can never pick a favorite ballad...i think my list changes. PR 93 is usually at the top for me...mixed in with my fav cadet ballads (the obvious ones like 93, 98, and 2005.

To the original poster, two things:

First, I don't see the reasoning in splitting hairs between "Fire of..." and "Flames of...". The title is translated from the Russian original, and as such, there are a few different interpretations. Perhaps "Flames of..." is more correct, but it's a fallacy to call "Fire of..." INcorrect.

And how dare one say that the history behind the composition of the piece is "useless trivia"! This social/historical context is what creates the emotion in the piece! Sure, it was exciting when Regiment played it. And really loud. Whoopie. The TRUE emotion comes from this "useless trivia" that so many people throw away.

Music like this is about looking past the loud noises, and seeing the underlying inspiration! Being swept away by its beauty and volume is, in my opinion, a result of being a superficial listener (what the majority of the drum corps community is, I think). Looking between the lines, knowing this "useless trivia"--THAT is when you are truly listening.

Just my thoughts. In no way am I trying to cut anyone down, I just get on a soapbox sometimes. Thanks for listening :innocent:

To the original poster, two things:

First, I don't see the reasoning in splitting hairs between "Fire of..." and "Flames of...". The title is translated from the Russian original, and as such, there are a few different interpretations. Perhaps "Flames of..." is more correct, but it's a fallacy to call "Fire of..." INcorrect.

And how dare one say that the history behind the composition of the piece is "useless trivia"! This social/historical context is what creates the emotion in the piece! Sure, it was exciting when Regiment played it. And really loud. Whoopie. The TRUE emotion comes from this "useless trivia" that so many people throw away.

Music like this is about looking past the loud noises, and seeing the underlying inspiration! Being swept away by its beauty and volume is, in my opinion, a result of being a superficial listener (what the majority of the drum corps community is, I think). Looking between the lines, knowing this "useless trivia"--THAT is when you are truly listening.

Just my thoughts. In no way am I trying to cut anyone down, I just get on a soapbox sometimes. Thanks for listening :innocent:

QFT.

In a quick google search, I found the piece spelled 12 different ways. Also, and I can't remember where I read this so I might have made it up, but I read somewhere once that the subtitle The Flames/Fire/Fires of Eternal Glory was only added to the piece in English and other non-Russian languages. The idea being that everyone in Russia would know what Novorissiysk Chimes was referencing, while non-Russians would have not heard the story of those brave soldiers, and therefore the title would be inadequate in portraying what Shostakovich was trying to get across emotionally.

Also, I found shostakovich spelled about six different ways. It seems that people just don't agree on how to translate Russian into English, probably because those goofy pinkos use a whole different alphabet! In addition, they make a whole bunch of crazy gutteral sounds when they talk that we don't have letters for in English.

Edited by 709

A couple of great ones that I want to mention from the 70s are:

Softly as I Leave You......Cavaliers 80,81

Ice Castles.......Madison 80, 81, and I think 82

I've always loved Regiment's ballads. Great selections every year. Especially '93, '95, and '06. LOVE them. Can't think of any that I didn't care for actually.

Cadets tend to have some pretty amazing ballads as well. '93, '97, '98, '99, '05, '09 come to mind. Awesome stuff.