Nominee for Best Ballad

anyway, what always amazed me about the piece was the shakos / helmets on the field. I did something similar with a band this year, and it was a nightmare trying to time everything and get people back to where they needed to be without looking contrived. Oh, and if I could have been one person in 1993, I would have been that mello player in the front of that triangle. Good LOOORRRDDD.....

I'm glad you brought that up. I've always been SO impressed with that drill, but because I'm not a director or show programmer I always assumed that the actual programming was relatively simple and that I was impressed in a naive-sort of way. I'm glad to hear that it's really difficult to execute, which makes me even more impressed in watching it.

Um, kind of like learning the history of the music and appreciating it more...I guess. :tongue:

And that wedge at the end of Danza! Oh my! And the spin at the end! Good LOOOOORRRRDDD...such a perfect ending. I still can't figure out how the baritones swung those horns around and got them up and in place in time to play that last reprise. Just incredible!

Edited by garfield

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no room to talk... but DCP is a little on edge lately, lol, oh off season.

But yeah... I love that ballad. And if you aren't moved by it... well you're just stupid :tongue:

I'll play!

93 PR ballad is my second favorite - to SCV 2000 Adagio. Listening to a recording or on the video of SCV '00 is NOTHING like hearing it live and it is just one of those drum corps moments that gives me goosebumps every single time I think about it. I think that to truly appreciate a particular ballad like that one, you really had to be there and see/hear it live. Same with 1993 PR... and even 1993 Cadets. No recording I've ever heard sounds as good or compares to what it sounded like and "felt" like, live!

I'll play!

93 PR ballad is my second favorite - to SCV 2000 Adagio. Listening to a recording or on the video of SCV '00 is NOTHING like hearing it live and it is just one of those drum corps moments that gives me goosebumps every single time I think about it. I think that to truly appreciate a particular ballad like that one, you really had to be there and see/hear it live. Same with 1993 PR... and even 1993 Cadets. No recording I've ever heard sounds as good or compares to what it sounded like and "felt" like, live!

I have an audio engineer-tweak brother who knows tons about music reproduction. Twnety years ago I wanted to build a stereo system to recreate sitting in the stands and "feeling" drum corps (albeit with my eyes closed). He turned me on to Magnepan speakers and if you ever want to hear recorded drum corps reproduced like you're really there, you gotta hear a pair of Maggies.

It took me 20 years to buy the system and even now, with my hearing half gone, it's like sitting in the stands all over again.

I'm not kidding. It's THAT good!

I have an audio engineer-tweak brother who knows tons about music reproduction. Twnety years ago I wanted to build a stereo system to recreate sitting in the stands and "feeling" drum corps (albeit with my eyes closed). He turned me on to Magnepan speakers and if you ever want to hear recorded drum corps reproduced like you're really there, you gotta hear a pair of Maggies.

It took me 20 years to buy the system and even now, with my hearing half gone, it's like sitting in the stands all over again.

I'm not kidding. It's THAT good!

Thank you for the suggestion. :) I will look into those but I know that my wife will likely have an objection. She's not much of a drum corps fan - in fact, elementary school teacher. Needless to say, loud drum corps is one of her least favorite things to come home to. HAHA! I think it's time to negotiate saving up to build an additional "entertainment" section on the side of the house. :tongue:

ha! it's just how i felt about that comment. it's been one of those weeks with my students...the horns have had to come out and apparently they're on the ready in here as well.

the charmed city not good enough for your location?

unfortunately i am from a paris...sadly not france.

I'm from near Paris (not France): Commerce. Though really, east Texas and France are pretty much the same. :tongue:

ok maybe not wine and all that lame stuff

but Texas is pretty much synonymous with good food

you are jealous

:tongue:

if you want to die of a myocardial infarction by the age of 40, then yes it is. i blame texas for the concept of super-sizing and mammoth portions. everything is bigger in texas...especially LDL levels.

Man, and I thought I was contributing. :lle:

-$1.25 from Tekk's account. (sorry, but 25% interest is the best deal i can give.)