Cadets 2010 Show

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Hop just posted on Facebook that the centerpiece of the 2010 show will be Howard Hanson's Merry Mount Suite.

I have not yet given it a listen and am not familiar with it. Anyone know the piece and would you like to share any thoughts on it?

Well Hop just posted on Facebook that the centerpiece of the 2010 show will be Howard Hanson's Merry Mount Suite.

I have not yet given it a listen and am not familiar with it. Anyone know the piece and would you like to share any thoughts on it?

corpsreps.com indicates that the Holy Name Cadets were the first to do a part of Hanson's Merry Mount in 1972. Also, Boston did "Children's Dance" from the suite in 1996. SCV Cadets' 1999 show was based on the suite ... I can't recall their 1999 show - anyone?

From Hoppy's blog....

Merry Mount Suite - Opus 31 ; Howard Hanson

10/20/09 12:52 pm

Well, we will have more announcements forthcoming but, the centerpiece of the Cadets 2010 production does appear to be the classic my Howard Hanson, " the Merry Mount Suite"

That he lived in the twentieth century not withstanding, Howard Hanson was a Romantic of the purest sort. He stated that music should be "a manifestation of the emotions," and his works glow from within with passion. His most ambitious work was his opera, Merry Mount. Based upon a Nathaniel Hawthorne short story, it is a tale of tragic love set in Puritan New England in which a pastor becomes obsessed with a visiting woman and subsequently runs amok. The opera was first performed in 1934 to thunderous success at no less venue than the Metropolitan Opera in New York. The suite, crafted by Hanson four years later, is a set of four short pieces, all brilliantly evocative and characteristically intense. The opera's overture, a brief "Children's Dance," a mournful "Love Duet," and finally a rousing Prelude to Act II and "Maypole Dances" comprise the 16-minute suite. ~ All Music Guide

And if you want information on the OPERA ...

http://www.usopera.com/operas/merrymount.html

So, enjoy. I am sure you will wonder what movements .... ??? I bet you will all figure it out after a listen or two!

Oh, and in case you are wondering, we are not telling the story of the opera but rather our own story, our own world, and our own program.

And yes, this original source material makes for some interesting challenges!!!

Go to www.cadets.org for up to date info on the Cadets

From the link on Hops blog: "Merry Mount was one of the Met's most successful essays into new American works in the thirties, both artistically and with the public."

I smell a great title...."1930"! :thumbup:

Just joshing...kick butt Hoppy! I know it will astound! :blink:

From the link on Hops blog: "Merry Mount was one of the Met's most successful essays into new American works in the thirties, both artistically and with the public."

I smell a great title...."1930"! :thumbup:

Just joshing...kick butt Hoppy! I know it will astound! :blink:

Ha!

funny

So, if you were the designer for INT and they wanted to do a show with this source music, what theme and specific pieces would you use in your show for INT?

Again, sources:

-Copland

-Bocook

-Hanson

-Rimsky-Korsakov

For INT, my inspiration would not come from Copland ( nor Copeland ).....but I would consider D. Copperfield

For INT, my inspiration would not come from Copland ( nor Copeland ).....but I would consider D. Copperfield

Copeland? In googling the name, all I could find was an alternative indie group, and a professional wrestler. Then again, I haven't posted on here since mid-august, maybe I'm rusty on DCP satire.

Copeland? In googling the name, all I could find was an alternative indie group, and a professional wrestler. Then again, I haven't posted on here since mid-august, maybe I'm rusty on DCP satire.

Drum Corps have played music that was drawn from musical inspiration sources that were much more exotic and obscure musical sources than from those from that of Michael Copeland of the Irish Woodwinds International. Heck, if you can find him on " google ", it's probably already reached too much of the Pop scene and would be ruled out by some Drum Corps arrangers. You've heard of Michael Copeland's Irish Woodwinds International, right ?

And what would you have against Copeland from the alternative indie genre, anyway ?

Musical tributes to Pro Wrestlers could work. We've had Pro Boxing musical tributes with " Rocky ".

We could have " a Musical Tribute to Pro Wrestling's Own Lou Albano "

Music inspired by Cyndi Lauper.... " Girls Just Wanna Have Fun " ( I know, I know, it won't be appropriate for some Corps, but some Corps could conceivably go to the mat for it )

Edited by BRASSO

Drum Corps have played music that was drawn from musical inspiration sources that were much more exotic and obscure musical sources than from those from that of Michael Copeland of the Irish Woodwinds International. Heck, if you can find him on " google ", it's probably already reached too much of the Pop scene and would be ruled out by some Drum Corps arrangers. You've heard of Michael Copeland's Irish Woodwinds International, right ?

And what would you have against Copeland from the alternative indie genre, anyway ?

Musical tributes to Pro Wrestlers could work. We've had Pro Boxing musical tributes with " Rocky ".

We could have " a Musical Tribute to Pro Wrestling's Own Lou Albano "

Music inspired by Cyndi Lauper.... " Girls Just Wanna Have Fun " ( I know, I know, it won't be appropriate for some Corps, but some Corps could conceivably go to the mat for it )

this

has possibilities!

um...I better read the other 10 pages

to be honest, had a long day and this made me lol, thnx :-)