Woodwind Transition

As someone who has done the opposite (gone from bari to playing / reading sax music), its the easiest switch in the world to make...probably easier than switching to mello treble clef. The way the staff works out with the Eb instruments is perfect....just read it as you would sax music, and it works fine (gotta add some flats). Really, you play the same #### music for 12 hours times 80 days....i think you'll learn it just fine

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bari saxophonist, thinking about the baritone transition for 2011 as well.

Quick questions:

Basically, do I just need to know how to play the instrument and march before auditioning? No scales or anything?

Are the fingerings the same for baritone/euph/mellophone?

Do corps use TC or BC for baritone? I read that they do both, but I was looking at Teal Sound's baritone audition piece and it's in BC.

Alto.

I intend on marching a World Class Corps in 2011...I think it is a bit too late for this season since auditions are in a month and a half.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Please march open class.

They are really outstanding corps and the instruction that you will find there is some of the best in your local area, maybe regionally, or nationally.

Plus, it is what drum corps used to be. It has a family vibe to it. They will support you and your endeavors to march whatever corps you want and train you in the process.

In addition, its not all about playing. Where else would you receive the marching credentials?

Think about it.

Bari saxophonist, thinking about the baritone transition for 2011 as well.

Quick questions:

Basically, do I just need to know how to play the instrument and march before auditioning? No scales or anything?

Are the fingerings the same for baritone/euph/mellophone?

Do corps use TC or BC for baritone? I read that they do both, but I was looking at Teal Sound's baritone audition piece and it's in BC.

Define "play the instrument". I would assume that to say you 'play the baritone', you could at least get up and down a Bb scale, and maybe one other. Depending on where you go, they might not care at all if you cant play a scale, as long as you show up and work....then come to the next camp and be a little better

The fingerings are the same after a fashion - thay all do the same things. That said, the fingering dont yield the same pitches, because the instruments are in different keys and clefs.

If you want to play bari, learn bass clef. Most upper level corps dont even print treble clef bari music, and honestly, part of being a well rounded musician is learning both clefs anyway.

People, seriously??

(puts arm around OP and directs away from evil brass people...)

5th bass my friend. Basic rhythmic ability and a strong back will get you into a world class corps this year. Top bass next year, snare the year after that and that's when you get the chicks my friend! Unless you're a chick. That's when you get the dudes my friend! Unless you're into chicks, in which case, that's when you get the chicks my friend! :laughing:

The sax players I've known who marched ended up on bari or tuba. Yes, either one will be a challenge, but think of the guns you'll have at the end of the season. :D

Play tuba. A mans instrument. Well, contra was a mans instrument. Tuba is a boys instrument.

People, seriously??

(puts arm around OP and directs away from evil brass people...)

5th bass my friend. Basic rhythmic ability and a strong back will get you into a world class corps this year. Top bass next year, snare the year after that and that's when you get the chicks my friend! Unless you're a chick. That's when you get the dudes my friend! Unless you're into chicks, in which case, that's when you get the chicks my friend! :laughing:

Finally. The good plan.

I'm in Tampa, FL... so idk.

Teal Sound maybe?

But they are in World Class now I think.

So it sounds like Baritone then.

You have a couple of option in the Tampa area. You could Check out Florida Brass based out of Lakeland and work on your skills there. Or if you are Determined to march and compete this year while building your brass chops then check out the Sundevils.

Edited by Michael S

Pioneer has made many low brass players out of sax players, and a few mellophone players as well. We have a connection in Florida around Ft. Myers with one of our brass techs and many students from Florida as well. We are also a world class corps that prides itself in teaching students that would otherwise be rejected from the top level corps and make no bones about it. It only takes a desire to want to learn and compete.

PM me with your interest and dont wait until next year when you can do it now. or go to the websitre for more information. www.pioneer-corps.org. The office phoner number is 414 327 2847.

Donny Allen