2010 Predictions (Thats right, its THAT time of the off-season)

for fun.....my initial guesses (which will probably change wildly after I see the corps....)

title contenders: Crown, SCV, Phantom

next group: BD, Cadets

next group: Madison, Bluecoats, Cavaliers

9-12 Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Troopers, Boston

13-16 Spirit, Colts, Academy, Glassmen

17-21 Pacific Crest, Crossmen, Jersey Surf, Seattle, Mandarins

22 Pioneer

hardest to peg: Madison, Cavaliers

Madison will make finals easily with the new staff and programming......however, they could be quite a factor with that staff if they attract a ton of new talent, which could happen.........on the other hand, if they are young, they could be in the 9-12 range...........

Cavaliers.....obviously this corps has a rep, and even though I think they could finish as low as 8-9 if they

have musical issues (should have been a distant 5th this year), they could also leap into

contention with a strong musical program/book, and they have some new people. They will most

likely have their strong visual/guard program and a drumline that executes, so they could

move fast if the music brass book/program/effect are up to snuff......

Blue Knights....they have a great arranger now........possible move up depending on talent level........

Any of the 13-16 group could step up and make it into finals, bumping someone..........I would not be surprised if it is quite tight between lower finalists and semifinalists.........

again, at this point, pure speculation, but fun...........

GB

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 will be my first trip to DCI finals... all the way from Scotland.

I'd like to see Phantom win it although it could be Carolina Crowns year, they've been knocking on the door for a few years now.

Come back of the year I hope will be Madison.... Slaughter on 10th Avenue & Rhapsody in Blue should make for a classic "old skool" DCI show.

My friend marched with Boston in the 80s and I've always had a soft spot for them so I hope they make top 12.

*The Blue Devils become so innovative they get the placement of 0th. No score can be found to explain how perfect they are.

Cadets learn to fly, making 2-D drum corps a thing of the past.

Cavaliers "WOW" audiences with the best visual production ever seen by human beings. The only thing that surpasses its aesthetic beauty is the actual show shirt.

Carolina Crown gets 1st place, but since the Blue Devils transcended the former boundary of 1st place, the victory for Crown is bitter sweet.

*Vanguard brings a symphony orchestra on tour.

*Bluecoats show up, but do not perform, and take 6th place anyway.

Phantom Regiment leaves DCI to create its own Soap Net.

*BAC's guard uses very similar outfits to 09, and everyone is happy.

The Blue Stars are bought by the Dallas Cowboys, because Jerry Jones can do whatever he wants.

*Glassmen go back to 11th place for another few years, they missed it.

*Academy, Troopers, the Colts and Madison all tie for 12th place because nobody can decide which corps is actually better.

...alas! My tea leaves are all used up. Good night.

:cool:

Those with *'s are Simply brilliant, you did forget the blue knights though

Well guys, here's my prediction:

1. H.N. Cadets - I think Maria and Tony from W.S.S. will take them to the top; this, I believe (sorry guys, I like crown too, but they did have a lot of age outs, these guys have a really amazing visual program and I really do think this put them up their, I think their brass will be even stronger this year)

2. Crown - They aren't in Kansas anymore (They could either get 1st or second, but their brass-line is solid and a lot of people will want to try out for them, simply amazing how they got to the DCI Elite so fast)

3. BD - Yeah, 1930's... too far back, I don't think they even had drill back then, try this decade or shock everybody and go classical guys - (probably won't get 1st unless they have an "absurd enough" show to keep them up top, ya never know, it's very possible)

4. Cavaliers - The divide in their placement from last year to this year won't be too great (The Cavaliers are consistently in the top 5 but I don't think they are going to be able to get back to the top like they did at the beginning of the decade)

5. SCV - Eureka! We still have many simple gifts to entertain the audience, but our brass isn't as solid as Crown's (Yeah a disappointment to a lot of fans but I think they will probably stay where they are at, due to the fact that they have been in this range for a little bit)

6-8. Phantom Regiment/ Blue Stars/ Bluecoats - this is very hard to decide as

a) Phantom will most definitely be On Air, flying slowly back up in the rankings (to make up for last year, I believe that they won't stay at 9th for sure)

b) The Blue Stars are working hard in the Factory on that brass, visual, and percussion material (becoming Crown's baby in the fact that they are really stepping up their game and are sounding great)

c) Bluecoats - Somewhat of a mystery, but there's no "criminal" investigation needed to know that this corps is definitely one of the stronger 4th-7th place finishers, (I think they'll "knockout" the crusaders, the knights, the glassmen, and whoever the heck finishes 12th at finals)

9. Boston Crusaders - even though that colorguard is tempting, it just doesn't hit the audience as "Suite" as some would like - (Not too much evidence to show that they will improve or worsen)

10. Blue Knights - Some would say that Corps are on fire but brrrr, it's cold, what a nice change from something that relates to anything that includes dark, knight, or something blue in the title (I loved their show this year, i think they will probably take the place of the crusaders in the next few years)

11. Glassmen - probably only "1" explanation to the fact that these guys keep making finals, the judges just haven't told us yet (but yes, they'll definitely make finals, and they aren't terrible, but their style is certainly weird, at least this past year wasn't .... AS weird)

12. I'm as dumbfounded as most, lets take a guess shall we?

It'll be one of these:

Colts

Troopers

Spirit

Scouts

Edited by JF154283

boy this sure jumped down the line in a hurry

These mean nothing, obviously... but if lou holtz can predict ND in the national championship preseason....

1 Crown- On their current course since 04, this should be their year

2 Cadets- If they continue in the same fan-friendly in your face drum corps show style from 09, theyll continue to be a favorite.

3 BD- just not enough adsurbity in this year's show to pick up 14.

4 SCV- (is the vanguard yell back this year?) :thumbup:

5 Blue Stars- Frank Sullivan taking over brass, and Aungst taking over percussion= continued improvement

6 Cavies-offseason changes mean a temporary drop for cavaliers

7 Bluecoats- still trying to figure out what was going on in 09 :thumbup:

8 Phantom- will fall anywhere from 6-9, depending on how many in-show kills they have.

9 Boston- after tackling the 'core of temptation' story, boston takes on 'the ten commandments'... the audence, however, feels like they spent 40 years wandering in the desert :thumbup:

10 BK- liked 09 better than any other recent show.. keep that up

11 Madison- all star staff gets madison back into finals.

12 Troopers- here to stay.

Of course, I realize these are just predictions, and many of you are having fun with it.

But I will say this for the list above: I actually think Bluecoats will benefit from what happened last year. Many of you may not have realized that the corps lost the drill writer just prior to spring training. They had to piece together that show incredibly fast, on the fly, and then adjust, edit, tweak, and clean. Come finals they were clearly a polished corps, and in many ways truly sold their show as well as any corps on the field.

In the course of all that happening last year I believe they found some new talents within a team of designers/teachers that really get along and know what they are doing. They also had to replace a ton of talent from the percussion and brass lines from the year prior, and they managed to do so in truly FINE form. Their ballad was some of the best playing on the field, and clearly their percussion were, again, one of the best as well. The fresh discoveries and ideas that I think they worked with last year, especially in terms of staging and guard integration, will pave the way for what I think will be a monster of a show here in 2010. And they have excellent talent returning.

Go BLOOOOO!

Regiment, continuing with shows that include a “femme-fatale,” (Red Violin, Spartacus, Faust, Romeo & Juliette) will stay with classical, only, classical rock/blues performing their show – “Joplin – no, not Scott, the other Joplin – Janis.” Guard will be appropriately attired in late 60’s outfits. Musical selections to include – I Need a Man to Love, Flower in the Sun, Raise Your Hand, and Move Over!

Madison – Anyone that didn’t predict them finishing at least in the top 10 is, well, ludicrous! The staff alone gets them into the top 12, what they do after that is just icing on the cake!

You heard it here first folks!

I got to agree with you Rocketman as far as Madison goes if the kids with the most talent head for Madison this year like I think thier going to

then your absolutly right , infact I'll do you one better . We all have seen what can happen to a drum corps in one years time ie "Phantom"

well I believe that can happen the other way also if Madison picks thier kids very carefully then I would go as far to put them in the 6th-8th

range I know that I'll get alot of flack out of my prediction But like I said if Madisons staff chooses wisely this could happen ! I can't say anything

about not enough info .