The history of the Westshoremen

So um.....where were we?

Oh Dub ??

it's amazing. In person you can't shut him up. On here, he goes AWOL for days/weeks

:tongue:

LOL. True. I disappear. Things like work and being subpoenaed make my attendace spotty. Also trying to deal with an organist who can't feel 10/8 to save his life and can't maintain a steady tempo. Also trying to explain Jazz in 45 minutes to a college class. Near insanity to do so, but I managed to do it with several musical examples.

Back to the second show of 1982. Rome, New York. There are two reasons why this show was memorable. Well, three or four reasons.

One was a head-to-head with Sun. This made it a great challenge, and a good reason to really work hard at practice.

Two were the prizes. Larry annnounces to the corps that Hamm's beer, the show sponsor, wasn't going to give out trophies like everyone else, they were giving prizes in product, their new Beer-balls filled with BEER.

Needless to say, this created a near riot. If we could win enough caption trophies and stuff, we'd have FREE BEER. HOOAH! WOOOO!

More on this later. This created some odd effects within the corps during the day and some issues that were eventually negotiated by Larry.

For some folks reading this, I'm sure they're aghast that a show would give away beer to the corps as prizes. Drinking age in NY at the time was 18. Times were different. I'm kinda guessing Fran and Tony and the rest of Sun from their end were also trying to figure out how to haul in as much of that beer as was possible on their end. This was for more than just winning- it was for the one thing that was fueling DCA in this era... BEER. Better yet, FREE BEER.....

Wow...it's almost like Dr. Bombay! :thumbup:

LOL. True. I disappear. Things like work and being subpoenaed make my attendace spotty. Also trying to deal with an organist who can't feel 10/8 to save his life and can't maintain a steady tempo. Also trying to explain Jazz in 45 minutes to a college class. Near insanity to do so, but I managed to do it with several musical examples.

Back to the second show of 1982. Rome, New York. There are two reasons why this show was memorable. Well, three or four reasons.

One was a head-to-head with Sun. This made it a great challenge, and a good reason to really work hard at practice.

Two were the prizes. Larry annnounces to the corps that Hamm's beer, the show sponsor, wasn't going to give out trophies like everyone else, they were giving prizes in product, their new Beer-balls filled with BEER.

Needless to say, this created a near riot. If we could win enough caption trophies and stuff, we'd have FREE BEER. HOOAH! WOOOO!

More on this later. This created some odd effects within the corps during the day and some issues that were eventually negotiated by Larry.

For some folks reading this, I'm sure they're aghast that a show would give away beer to the corps as prizes. Drinking age in NY at the time was 18. Times were different. I'm kinda guessing Fran and Tony and the rest of Sun from their end were also trying to figure out how to haul in as much of that beer as was possible on their end. This was for more than just winning- it was for the one thing that was fueling DCA in this era... BEER. Better yet, FREE BEER.....

That's right the beer balls!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: Not great beer... (Hamm's? or Matt's? or something microbrewery like before it's time!) It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible...but it was FREE!!!

That's right the beer balls!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: Not great beer... (Hamm's? or Matt's? or something microbrewery like before it's time!) It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible...but it was FREE!!!

It was Matt's, from the FX Matt brewing company of Utica, NY.

I gotta be honest here... I thought that stuff was pretty rough. It made Budweiser taste good by comparison, and that is tough to do. :tongue:

The irony here is that the same brewery... FX Matt... makes Saranac craft brews, which, IMO, are among the best craft brews anywhere. My fave is the Saranac Black Forest black lager. Tasty!!!

The other thing I remember about that after-show party in the parking garage was the lighting in that garage. It was really bright.

Then again, perhaps the brightness of the lighting was due to the... uhhh... "enhanced state" I was in for the party. :ph34r::tongue:

It was Matt's, from the FX Matt brewing company of Utica, NY.

I gotta be honest here... I thought that stuff was pretty rough. It made Budweiser taste good by comparison, and that is tough to do. :tongue:

The irony here is that the same brewery... FX Matt... makes Saranac craft brews, which, IMO, are among the best craft brews anywhere. My fave is the Saranac Black Forest black lager. Tasty!!!

If I do remember correctly it WAS pretty bad....but as I said FREE!...the cool thing was that we made sure we drank it in NY because a lot of us were under 21 at that time, so it was one of the few legal times I was able to drink! :thumbup:

The other thing I remember about that after-show party in the parking garage was the lighting in that garage. It was really bright.

Then again, perhaps the brightness of the lighting was due to the... uhhh... "enhanced state" I was in for the party. :ph34r::tongue:

I remember that for some reason as well?!?!