The history of the Westshoremen

not to make you guys feel old, but i'll be 43 in a month

I'm only 6 years older than you (I'll be 49 this October)

(mentally, I'm still about 14 :tongue:) (well heck...see the picture to the left, I was about 14 or 15) in that one

Edited by Jaminbenb

I'm only 6 years older than you (I'll be 49 this October)

(mentally, I'm still about 14 :tongue:) (well heck...see the picture to the left, I was about 14 or 15) in that one

awesome! We're the same mental age

awesome! We're the same mental age

that's all that counts! :thumbup:

that's all that counts! :thumbup:

Does watching Boomerand and Cartoon Network count? :tongue: Not to mention Comedy Centrals 'Ugly Americans'.... :devil:

Yep, 54 yr old 'toon head....

I wish some of the people that have video of some of the other years would convert them to digital and post them (or at least make them available to the former members) I'd love to have DVD's of some of the old daze! (Not to mention action shots that people have lurking in their photo albums)

Sorry that I'm a little late with this reply....

That's one of the reasons I've been collecting videos of us (Sun) and digitizing them. I knew I was not the only one that would love to actually see the shows, not just listen to them. (I've also digitized a few judges tapes for some of our Alumni as well.) So far we've collected 19 seasons (28 performances) which is about 36GB of data so far.

OK, So I have more time to do this than most folks but it does keep me busy doing some thing I really enjoy as well as gives our Alumni something they want as well... thumbup.gif

i have some stuff i want to get converted to digital...i think this is on it as well as 80 prelims

If it doesn't have bee done over night I'll offer to do that for you if you don't already have some one that can and will do it. I'd send my snail mail addy to you, put them on DVD(s) and mail the VHS(s) tapes and the DVD(s) back to you.

PS - Need some prayers for Kris' mom and the family. Got taken back to the Holy Hilton yesterday and having breathing problems along with other issues. Don't see this going on too much longer.

OK, I've not read the entire thread, there's about 4 pages to go....

Prayers on the way....

LOL. True. I disappear. Things like work and being subpoenaed make my attendace spotty. Also trying to deal with an organist who can't feel 10/8 to save his life and can't maintain a steady tempo. Also trying to explain Jazz in 45 minutes to a college class. Near insanity to do so, but I managed to do it with several musical examples.

Back to the second show of 1982. Rome, New York. There are two reasons why this show was memorable. Well, three or four reasons.

One was a head-to-head with Sun. This made it a great challenge, and a good reason to really work hard at practice.

Two were the prizes. Larry annnounces to the corps that Hamm's beer, the show sponsor, wasn't going to give out trophies like everyone else, they were giving prizes in product, their new Beer-balls filled with BEER.

Needless to say, this created a near riot. If we could win enough caption trophies and stuff, we'd have FREE BEER. HOOAH! WOOOO!

More on this later. This created some odd effects within the corps during the day and some issues that were eventually negotiated by Larry.

For some folks reading this, I'm sure they're aghast that a show would give away beer to the corps as prizes. Drinking age in NY at the time was 18. Times were different. I'm kinda guessing Fran and Tony and the rest of Sun from their end were also trying to figure out how to haul in as much of that beer as was possible on their end. This was for more than just winning- it was for the one thing that was fueling DCA in this era... BEER. Better yet, FREE BEER.....

OK, still 3 more pages to go.... shutup.gif

We (Sun) did have a plan for the "Caption Awards"..... Empty them before we reached home... devil.gif

I seem to remember the beer was Matt's not Hamm's. Could there have been TWO shows that Draft Beer Balls (equaling 2 1/2 cases of beer per ball) were the caption awards?

It was Matt's, from the FX Matt brewing company of Utica, NY.

I gotta be honest here... I thought that stuff was pretty rough. It made Budweiser taste good by comparison, and that is tough to do. :tongue:

The irony here is that the same brewery... FX Matt... makes Saranac craft brews, which, IMO, are among the best craft brews anywhere. My fave is the Saranac Black Forest black lager. Tasty!!!

thumbup.gif (I though I remembered it was Matt's)

We had one of our members make a comment to the show sponsor as I was talking with him after the show. I was thanking him and his company for sponsoring the show and for supplying a "different" kind of caption awards. Just as I was shaking his hand the ("anonymous" Sun member) walked up behind me. I introduced him to the sponsor and he then said "Thanks for the beer, it's a good pukin' beer".... OK... well then, the "interview" was over... all I could do (I was still in uniform and hadn't had an opportunity to try the beer) was just look at him (sponsor) and shrug my shoulders and walk away... shutup.gif