The history of the Westshoremen

Hey I'll be 55 this summer.... at least I got 2 of the 3 words right.... :tongue:

LOL, few years back we spent a week in the Finger Lakes area and stopped in Elmira. Can't rememebr why (maybe we needed gas or soda) but kind of a rough place in areas (like Harrisburg). We drove around looking for something but then just left (oh man that'll bug me all day trying to remember why we were there). Wasn't anything to do with Mark Twain but we kept following the signs to whatever it was... and then the signs disappeared.... :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hard to say...I DO remember some of the Mark Twain stuff...we stopped going there regularly in about 74 maybe...my grandmother closed the store, and then moved in with us not long after. So some of that stuff is pretty vague anymore. (killed a lotta brain cells between then and now) :blink:

We were up a few years back... Penn State played at Syracuse so we went to the game (The Carrier Dome is NOT air conditioned?!?! go freaking figure) and then took the trip down the lakes the next day (hitting wineries like crazy :thumbup:) and then stopped in Elmira so I could show Lisa where the store was, her house, and a few other "sites"...yeah, downtown Elmira is pretty crappy, but the outlying areas are nice!

We did Corning Glass Factory (not a big a deal as I remember) and where the three WSM buses (with Howie leading) went the wrong way down the main drag in Corning twice. What surprised me was how bad Corning got hit in the 72 Agnes flood. Just read something where Corning or some other town in the area had a flash flood and just wiped out a LOT. IIRC, the river is right behind the main road in Corning. Living near Harrisburg I knew how bad we got hit and my family was actually leaving Bloomsburg (also nailed) as the rains started. Man, we were actually some of the last people to see the Transportation Music (next to a big stream) there, it never reopened as the owner died soon after. Just never knew what it was like in NY state.....

OK, keep it corps related.... Barons of Stueben - Corning, NY hosted the show in 79 (I think). Still have the program as Freddie (D-bag) Kurtz is on the cover. And Jerry Yoder and myself are in the back ground....

LOL, need a long weekend trip this year to keep sane. So far plans are go back to the Hampton Inn in Ithica and hit the Finger Lake wino-ries. Just found a forgotten bottle in the basement and it went down REAL nice after this weekend. Mother In law is hanging in there with her declining health but one bro-in-law got in my face because his misunderstood something. He wasn't happy when he realized I wasn't backing down..... and his sister (my wife) wasn't backing him up. (I may be a head shorter than him.. but)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'd start now, but the problem is...we need the Hershman era, because it can help explain a lot of what was to come.

Yeah...I remember those Corning shows....the Barons of Stueben!! :thumbup: (they probably couldn't use "The Glassmen" since Toledo already had it...

Freddie Doooooshebag!! Now there's a name you don't hear often enough! :tongue: (and how can we forger Mrs. Doooooshebag!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Freddie Doooooshebag!! Now there's a name you don't hear often enough! :tongue: (and how can we forger Mrs. Doooooshebag!)

And the kids walking around saying "We're all little Dooooooshbags"......

This morning someone asked what people got out of corps and I posted I learned to get along with all types of people. That's a No S***ter with Westshore.....

OMG, just remembered this one as I was typing. Someone showed Mrs D errrr Kurtz a Playgirl centerfold one night after a show. She just shrugged and said "####, I see bigger things at home". :tongue:

And the kids walking around saying "We're all little Dooooooshbags"......

This morning someone asked what people got out of corps and I posted I learned to get along with all types of people. That's a No S***ter with Westshore.....

OMG, just remembered this one as I was typing. Someone showed Mrs D errrr Kurtz a Playgirl centerfold one night after a show. She just shrugged and said "####, I see bigger things at home". :tongue:

I'll never forget when I first met them, and someone said "this is Mrs. Dooooshbag"! :blink: I didn't know what to say?!?!

Hey I'll be 55 this summer.... at least I got 2 of the 3 words right.... :tongue:

LOL, few years back we spent a week in the Finger Lakes area and stopped in Elmira. Can't rememebr why (maybe we needed gas or soda) but kind of a rough place in areas (like Harrisburg). We drove around looking for something but then just left (oh man that'll bug me all day trying to remember why we were there). Wasn't anything to do with Mark Twain but we kept following the signs to whatever it was... and then the signs disappeared.... :blink:

Wait...just picked up on that...55? That's it???

Wait...just picked up on that...55? That's it???

You forgot :devil:

Some mornings I feel like a '1' is in front of that 55...... :ph34r:

not to make you guys feel old, but i'll be 43 in a month