The history of the Westshoremen

This seems an appropriate time to repeat a post I made (in Jeff Ream's direction) a couple of years ago...

Here in the Twin Cities we are fortunate to have the amazing talents of many Minnesota Public Radio and PRI (Public Radio International) personalities who are also of national and international renown: Garrison Keillor, Mindy Ratner, Chris Farrell, Cathy Wurzer, Lynne Rossetto Kasper, Dale Connelly and Lynne Worfel-Holt just to name just a few.

Lynne Warfel-Holt has recalled several times on the air about her remembrances of growing up with the Westshoremen. Her father used to help run the corps and she has mentioned her fond memories of the corps and what it stood for. For example, she recalls as a little girl the thrill she got as the corps warmed up in her very own backyard. (Imagine that as a kid of 10 or 12!)

(Of course, many people in the listening audience are going "drum corps?? huh??" :) )

So, remember, all of you who have had the good fortune of being a part of a great corps like the Westshoremen: You have influenced more people than you might think. Your efforts have made a difference. Who knows what the future will bring? Perhaps someone from your past will help the corps rise again. Or maybe someone yet to appear in the future will be the one to help bring the corps back to life!

Just keep the spirit alive - it will then be able to grow.

Regards,

Ron Haselius

Minnesota Brass, Inc.

P.S. You can read a little about Lynne's hstory here:

http://mnbrassinc.org/news/showcase04.html#lynne

Edited by Ron H

ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bud Warfel.

"hey Bud what time should we wamr up?"

"what time do we gon on?"

"8"

" oh ####, we better start now. we'll need it all and then some"

and Ron as for the growing part...lotsa rumors flyin around da Burg. never say never.

Thanks Ron, when I started with the corps I rode with some guys who played with Bud and his name came up often in conversation. The article was a nice memory jog.

"How much a judge deducted if you pass out on the field" - priceless

hershey...my cooler. i park out by the bushes by where the corps are.

and Wally will be there( he has to be there i'm his ride).

we had fun last year til the rain hit, then we closed the Gman. we thought about YP, but Hershman reminded us he's still waiting for a stromboli he ordered at the Carlisle Pike YP in 1979.

Sounds fun! All this talk of corps even has the wife thinking about hitting a show or 2!

Hershey is MY back yard...Scranton is her OLD back yard so we may be at 2 as long as we're in town!

Ben the locals this year are Lewisburg 6/26, reading 7/10, hershey 7/25 Coatesville 7/31, and then prelims/finals in Scranton

Whelp...Hershey's already out! (figures...in my back yard!)

Hey Jeff-

Do you have a current email address fo Steve Filipelli? I marched in one of his lines, but haven't seen him in 20 years.

Thanks-

LuvsPAisTe

Sent you a private email with it let me know if you don't get it

Hey Jeff-

Do you have a current email address fo Steve Filipelli? I marched in one of his lines, but haven't seen him in 20 years.

Thanks-

LuvsPAisTe

Sent you a private email with it let me know if you don't get it

Got it. Thanks, Ben.

BTW- did you used to be known as Chumley?

Hey Jeff-

Thanks-

LuvsPAisTe

What year did you play with the Bearded Wonder??? He still works at the Navy Depot and I see him from time to time...