The history of the Westshoremen

SAW MBI at Jamestown and they don't play the jazz theme this year...actually they have a bizarre theme (IMHO) based on middle east..they play scheherezade(yes I can't spell) some more stuff similar and a Led Zeppelin tune that I forget the name right now. The guard looks like Taliban people etc. In the stands at Jamestown were a lot of OFFENDED Patriotic Americans..and yes we know it was for the musical flavor, but why that theme now?

the theme is Oasis, and i promise you it's not meant to offend.

and MBI, IMO, channels the spirit and grooce of the 95/96 corps. hell look at the uniform :worthy:

Oops, was just trying to say the Zep tune was Kashmir.....

I know exactly where you're coming from.

Maurice Jarre's score from the Movie "Lawrence of Arabia" is brilliant, and many years ago Alfred Reed scored the main theme for band, great work for concerts, well.... it WAS....

I have the movie, soundtrack CD, had done some initial studies to try and propose this for a band show, but really, after 2001, that idea pretty much has to take a back burner.

I also read Lawrence's book "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", which is his autobiographical account of his work in WW1, which the movie is extremely faithful to, actually. It's a very difficult read, took me three weeks of reading a couple of hours a night, but it provides a rather keen insight into the Arab culture from a Westerner's perspective. Very little that they do suprises me that seems to astonish other folks here in the USA after I read "Seven Pillars".

Also got to play a Miniature wargame event years ago with a guy who recreated one of the battles, and I got to be T.E Lawrence. Was a real hoot with camel troops and British Armored Cars running around the table against Turkish Cavalry and ground pounders, LOL. Desert warfare is very popular with miniatures guys. All you need is like a sand colored piece of felt or a big sheet, some hobby grit to spread on the table surface, and blammo! Instant desert!

Anyhow, yeah, given the state of war, given the patriotism that's always been a part of DCA, yeah, you have to really be careful as to what you present.

Now, Ellington's "Caravan"... in and of itself isn't offensive, LOL. It's the best known example of a type of 'exotic' piece he wrote for the Harlem Night Clubs his band mainly played in- I forget the actual term for it- tunes written specifically for when the sexy dancing girls came out and entertained the audience.....

One can also pander too much to the patriotic theme and cheapen it, if one is not very careful.....

Have to go, busy day ahead.... just my 2 cents... :worthy:

Caravan didn't offend me...neither did the uniforms the guard was wearing ...but many others took offense when they came out to perform and 2 guys like Alladin pulled a speaker blaring mid-eastern music..Turn that off was a milder comment heard..and as far as I personally think.MBI is always a very well thought out and techically performing corps no matter what the theme..I really think the choice wasn't the best and it probably didn't help they had to follow OZ that night(no need to put color pre back) or as my daughter said.."I am glad the Marines aren't here" (many people in the crowd sat on their hands or expressed their opinions in the crowd)

funny. I sat with a few Marines watching Glassmen this summer, which opened with a Muslim prayer call. They loved it.

some people obviously can't suspend disbelief

funny. I sat with a few Marines watching Glassmen this summer, which opened with a Muslim prayer call. They loved it.

some people obviously can't suspend disbelief

I know, but you gotta be incredibly careful, especially on the scholastic end. seen some pretty ignorant admins and their pals wreck programs for the fun of it.

this is drum corps, not the scholastic end. and to be honest, I see far more offensive things than a show with anything Muslim in them in the fall and in indoor and no one complains.

and i know, if I was a parent, with some of the #### they put the kids in, i'd complain. regardless of what people say, not every uniform design is flattering

this is drum corps, not the scholastic end. and to be honest, I see far more offensive things than a show with anything Muslim in them in the fall and in indoor and no one complains.

and i know, if I was a parent, with some of the #### they put the kids in, i'd complain. regardless of what people say, not every uniform design is flattering

Back to the spandex arguement!!! :doh:

not just spandex. take a look around you this fall a few times

I trust everyone made back from upper Ra-cha cha ok?