The history of the Westshoremen

Ok...went tot he Rush concert in Allentown last night (awesome as expected) When I first got there and was scoping out the fair and where to go etc. I run into Cecily! and the first thing out of her mouth is "Wanna buy some raffle tickets!" She's a sick unit for sure!!! :rolleyes:

No comment.

No comment.

I take it you two aren't.... um...friendly?

LOL... hey- I did three years in what Jim Prime Sr. called "The Hot Seat" for a good reason. This is actually FUN. If this had been around in '82, my guess would be that "It'll be close, but Sun's gonna make it happen" would be the consensus, and we'd have done what we did the way we did it and took our best crack at it anyway. :worthy:

I thought about the way we looked at the reviews, and it was actually pretty cool. I can tell you do a LOT more effect than I do, I'm mainly a hard-core analysis techie-geek. :devil:

I'm actually pretty excited for DCA as an organization. The three shows I went to were well-attended, a good mix of ages present and the crowd appreciative, and there are a lot of good shows and good ideas being presented by all of the corps. I know Tom Peashey says this repeatedly, some people get all mad and indignant when he does say this, and I have to say he's right. I looked for myself, and I'm very positive about it after seeing several shows for myself. My only wish would have been that I would have gotten to see MBI, Kidsgrove, and the Kilties this season. I know people like the Kilties a ton, they seem to have a corps full of really big-hearted individuals that love what they do from my observations, and I'd like to just see what's happening there for myself to understand it better.

The only things I've found find more fun recently are when I get to play a horn, teach, or break out my NSR 1/32 Gulf-Porsche 917 and stic kit on the slot car track and race it in the IHSR league I participate in. It gets my competition Jones satisfied! :tongue:

Heh W, great review of the Reading show on the other other thread, man! I know this is off topic for this thread, but I wanted let you know I'm behind you 100% on the Tom Allen response. Go to his training web site he lists in his signature. There is a mission statement there for his business. One wonders how he can maintain that business mission statement and be 180 degrees from it in his personal life. I found it curious. :huh:

Mike B

Westhoremen 1978-1983

Westshoremen Alumni 2003-2010

Edited by wsbari82

well, Tommy is banned, so you won't see him much anymore Mike!

Heh W, great review of the Reading show on the other other thread, man! I know this is off topic for this thread, but I wanted let you know I'm behind you 100% on the Tom Allen response. Go to his training web site he lists in his signature. There is a mission statement there for his business. One wonders how he can maintain that business mission statement and be 180 degrees from it in his personal life. I found it curious. :devil:

Mike B

Westhoremen 1978-1983

Westshoremen Alumni 2003-2010

Thanks, Mike, but that's just cos you're just backing up one of the fruitcake leads from BITD, right? :worthy:

It's all good. I meant in all seriousness in one of my reviews that The Statesmen's shows are good for the activity. I just also happen to think shows like Reading's and the Hurcs are also good for DCA, too. I'm really into the who 'arena of ideas' concept behing this activity. seeing different ideas is part of what makes it great, or should make it great. It's when I see like... 4 'Beauty and the Beast' shows at a band show that I start getting upset because evryone's thinking that;s the only way to do it.

I really liked MBI a ton in '09. When I listened to them, I felt like they were a spiritual descendant of the '82-'83 Westshore corps, it just had that zen that touched my heart in that way. I'm just hopin' that hard-hitting jazz Drum Corps will stick around...

Thanks, Mike, but that's just cos you're just backing up one of the fruitcake leads from BITD, right? :worthy:

It's all good. I meant in all seriousness in one of my reviews that The Statesmen's shows are good for the activity. I just also happen to think shows like Reading's and the Hurcs are also good for DCA, too. I'm really into the who 'arena of ideas' concept behing this activity. seeing different ideas is part of what makes it great, or should make it great. It's when I see like... 4 'Beauty and the Beast' shows at a band show that I start getting upset because evryone's thinking that;s the only way to do it.

I really liked MBI a ton in '09. When I listened to them, I felt like they were a spiritual descendant of the '82-'83 Westshore corps, it just had that zen that touched my heart in that way. I'm just hopin' that hard-hitting jazz Drum Corps will stick around...

SAW MBI at Jamestown and they don't play the jazz theme this year...actually they have a bizarre theme (IMHO) based on middle east..they play scheherezade(yes I can't spell) some more stuff similar and a Led Zeppelin tune that I forget the name right now. The guard looks like Taliban people etc. In the stands at Jamestown were a lot of OFFENDED Patriotic Americans..and yes we know it was for the musical flavor, but why that theme now?

SAW MBI at Jamestown and they don't play the jazz theme this year...actually they have a bizarre theme (IMHO) based on middle east..they play scheherezade(yes I can't spell) some more stuff similar and a Led Zeppelin tune that I forget the name right now. The guard looks like Taliban people etc. In the stands at Jamestown were a lot of OFFENDED Patriotic Americans..and yes we know it was for the musical flavor, but why that theme now?