The history of the Westshoremen

Holy mackerel... until I saw those scores I had forgotten about how close Westshore was that season.

As things turned out..... sounds like one of those "what if" seasons that every corps has sooner or later.

I can't blame the membership. they did the best with what they were given. the problem was what they were given

One thing out of their control was a pretty smokin' nuclear hornline in the form of Les Metro. DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS! Those folks nearly knocked me on my can! Seriously!

I hear ya. That corps was borderline insanely awesome, in 1992 and 1994.... which unfortunately was their final season at the DCA title show. (In 1993 they slipped a bit, but were still pretty good.)

Talk about a high-energy show. Wow.

94 Les mets was an awesome show. they made Interstellar Suite work for a DCA show

Haven't been fond of HERCO for some time. Sent a rather pointed E-Mail to Houlihan's World HQ about the Hershey site. Told them they were lucky I wasn't a minority- the way I was treated would have resulted in a rather nasty lawsuit I'd have been greatly enriched from as a result.

Oh, my wife has gone rounds with the managers of both Houlihans AND Devon seafood grill! She told them that basically you NEED to worry about the way they treat people regardless of whether they are tourists or locals, but they BETTER treat the locals better because of the BULL #### we put up with on a daily basis during season! She ran the Houlihans manager up the wall that one time, it was hilarious! The Devon Manager was a little luckier, but it wasn't as bad of an issue. Both of us have gone rounds with some of the local businesses and their attitudes! We're also about ready to give the Hershey Theater the heave ho with the crap they've been getting there.....HERCO took over the booking and management of the theater and it's gone down hill ever since! WHen they FIRST took it over they said "more shows, better show, more concerts!" So far, not so much! Penns Peak is KILLING them with acts! (and it's in the middle of freaking no where!)

Oh, my wife has gone rounds with the managers of both Houlihans AND Devon seafood grill! She told them that basically you NEED to worry about the way they treat people regardless of whether they are tourists or locals, but they BETTER treat the locals better because of the BULL #### we put up with on a daily basis during season! She ran the Houlihans manager up the wall that one time, it was hilarious! The Devon Manager was a little luckier, but it wasn't as bad of an issue. Both of us have gone rounds with some of the local businesses and their attitudes! We're also about ready to give the Hershey Theater the heave ho with the crap they've been getting there.....HERCO took over the booking and management of the theater and it's gone down hill ever since! WHen they FIRST took it over they said "more shows, better show, more concerts!" So far, not so much! Penns Peak is KILLING them with acts! (and it's in the middle of freaking no where!)

I thought the locals were better treated than I was at Houlihan's. When I stand with a friend in FRONT of the hostess booth for FIVE minutes waiting and not even a Frik-frakkin' "hi, I'm sorry, we're a bit busy tonight, There may be a bit of a wait, can I take your name!?" and two local girls run in front of me and get tended to when I got steamed! I started to walk out then went back and demanded the manager. I told them more or less "What the HELL is going on with this d--mned place when people butt ahead of me in line and I stand here ignored!??" And I know Ream is thinking, like........ any sentient being can ignore me!!?!?!?! :dontgetit:

Two locals then walked up to me all smug and said I was the problem, not THEM because I used the word 'hell". Or "d--n". Then these two smug bungholes basically wanted to start a fight. If my friend wasn't such a wimp, I'd have taken them on. Sue me.They can't get blood from a stone. I left disgusted. Now you know why I told the Corporate HQ they were lucky I wasn't of a non-white racial background. I'd have won the powerball off of HERCO AND Houlihan's, AND got them plastered all over the Patriot News for racial discrimination. I was the problem?

Never got a reply from their corporate HQ either. Told them not to bother sending me any coupons, I'd never go back to that place after being treated in such a disgusting manner, and that I'd tell as many people as I could when I got the opportunity to never patronize that place. Like I am now.

To make it worse, two of my friends were working there at the bar and the kitchen at the time. I went there to patronize a place and support my friends.

I thought the locals were better treated than I was at Houlihan's. When I stand with a friend in FRONT of the hostess booth for FIVE minutes waiting and not even a Frik-frakkin' "hi, I'm sorry, we're a bit busy tonight, There may be a bit of a wait, can I take your name!?" and two local girls run in front of me and get tended to when I got steamed! I started to walk out then went back and demanded the manager. I told them more or less "What the HELL is going on with this d--mned place when people butt ahead of me in line and I stand here ignored!??" And I know Ream is thinking, like........ any sentient being can ignore me!!?!?!?! :blink:

Two locals then walked up to me all smug and said I was the problem, not THEM because I used the word 'hell". Or "d--n". Then these two smug bungholes basically wanted to start a fight. If my friend wasn't such a wimp, I'd have taken them on. Sue me.They can't get blood from a stone. I left disgusted. Now you know why I told the Corporate HQ they were lucky I wasn't of a non-white racial background. I'd have won the powerball off of HERCO AND Houlihan's, AND got them plastered all over the Patriot News for racial discrimination. I was the problem?

Never got a reply from their corporate HQ either. Told them not to bother sending me any coupons, I'd never go back to that place after being treated in such a disgusting manner, and that I'd tell as many people as I could when I got the opportunity to never patronize that place. Like I am now.

To make it worse, two of my friends were working there at the bar and the kitchen at the time. I went there to patronize a place and support my friends.

Sorry you had that issue with them. I went there twice during the season and had no problems either time.

wow. never had an issue with Devon.

My guess is Houlihan's has a high turnover rate. Both my friends who had worked there were gone inside of 3-4 months after that issue. From all observations, one doesn't stay in HERCO for long unless one manages to wheedle and kiss butt to the higher levels of the structure where you can start making real money, doing less, and can start being more of a boss, LOL.

Anyhow, let's see. All the excitement of a pretty good DCA season, a couple of interesting (and I use the word 'interesting' like a judge uses it... :tongue: ) people getting cuckoo over my reviews... now- If I recollect correctly, I was trying to figure out the odd brew that was the 1982 Westshoremen.

Several factors discussed.

-Staff changes in percussion and the young guns getting experienced enough to take the more critical spots in the line.

-Many of the 'old guard' deciding it was time to go, again, more of the young guys, which now had 3 or more seasons of performing experience taking over...

-Bringing in a then untested and untried Eric Kitchenmen to hone and develop the corps attitude and marching skills...

-There are a couple of other factors that also played an important part to the success as well, both the utterly sublime and the utterly ridiclulous we didnt get to before more important matters came to us..... Should I start next with the sublime... or the ridiculous.... :tongue::blink: