The history of the Westshoremen

Btw....the reason I stopped in...got the email about the "changes" in staff...jeez...a lot of people stepping down. so how ARE things this year?

i'm stopping by Sunday to say hi. I really havent heard anything, but i havent gone out of my way to keep in the loop

i'm stopping by Sunday to say hi. I really havent heard anything, but i havent gone out of my way to keep in the loop

Planning to head there Sunday, too.

But please do not let that deter you from going. :tongue:

Hit the Salvation Army, Goodwill etc for off the wall books every few months and hit the jackpot at Volunteers of American off the Carlisle Pike. Book is "History of the American Legion" and couple of corps pics (Commonwealth Edison, St Paul Indians, Cabs) and..... caption of "Westshoremen (Linglestown Post 272) receive their trophy at 1978 Nationals". BUT...... the pic is probably LI Kingsmen the Jr winner. Have the Legion mag for that show and they had the corps captions switched then too.....

Cue Rodney Dangerfield about gettin' no respect.....

Haven't started reading it yet.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hit the Salvation Army, Goodwill etc for off the wall books every few months and hit the jackpot at Volunteers of American off the Carlisle Pike. Book is "History of the American Legion" and couple of corps pics (Commonwealth Edison, St Paul Indians, Cabs) and..... caption of "Westshoremen (Linglestown Post 272) receive their trophy at 1978 Nationals". BUT...... the pic is probably LI Kingsmen the Jr winner. Have the Legion mag for that show and they had the corps captions switched then too.....

Cue Rodney Dangerfield about gettin' no respect.....

Haven't started reading it yet.....

The Bridgeport show the weekend before DCA in '78... I remember seeing the Westshoremen buses pull in with the "AL Champs" banner on a bus, and the corps members looking like they hadn't slept in a week... LOL... this after they just got back from New Orleans. That was one seriously long trip!!!

Planning to head there Sunday, too.

But please do not let that deter you from going. :tongue:

Sadie will just cry LOL

• Like 1

The Bridgeport show the weekend before DCA in '78... I remember seeing the Westshoremen buses pull in with the "AL Champs" banner on a bus, and the corps members looking like they hadn't slept in a week... LOL... this after they just got back from New Orleans. That was one seriously long trip!!!

and some even remember it!

was going to be there on Sunday but work calls

and some even remember it!

LOL!! I hear ya... the stories Barbara told me about that trip.... wow!!!

I remember New Orleans except for coming back thru VA.... something about killing the contents of a cooler before I got home.

Bridgeport I remember kind of a weird anger/mutiny type vibe but not sure what was going on. Horn line (or some of it?) stayed by the bus for some reason instead of high tailing it to the practice area. Was practice postponed or some members decide not to go over for whatever reason? Horn instructor Nate did not return the next year and perhaps that was part of it. Heard other vibes that some drum instructors wanted a more corps savvy guy so Nate was going to go. Just a lot of weird rumor type crap that IMO should have been addressed instead of simmering. Remember I heard drum stuff from riding with Benny and Paul G....

And that is all I remember of Bridgeport..... still......

Edited by JimF-LowBari