can anyone identify this stadium?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hershey show was in the daylight if I remember correctly and this looks like its at night.

I also don't remember the stadium at Hershey being very big and this looks like a pretty big venue.

I was a tad hung over that day so the memory is a bit foggy.

Hershey might have started in the daylight but was a night show. I wondered about Hershey myself but the postion of the track in front of the field looked off. Hershey has a paved track (used to have midget car races there in my dads day) that is a lot closer to the field.

Edit: Looked again at the people in front. On the right they are sitting down and appear to be smaller (younger) than the group on the left. Group on the left is standing and most appear to be in uniform. Guessing group on right are runners and group on left are part of a corps/color guard. Strange that a group would be standing in front of a corps during a show.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I thought Troopers had 5 snares in 75? It looks like in this pic, they have 6.

For no other reason than its in my area, I submit a possible ID of Jeffco Stadium in Lakewood, CO.

A more modern look at the stadium: http://sc.jeffco.k12.co.us/education/sctem...496/Jeffco.jpeg

Drums Along the Rockies actually "started" here in CO in 1972 and was held at Jeffco in the early years (there were actually a few DATR named shows in the 60's as well, but the resurrected version that has gone on every year since began in '72). I don't recall what year it transferred to Mile High Stadium. The show was an evening show, which would match your picture. Jeffco stadium was a conglomerate stadium for the local high schools. So you'd have the larger venue, yet also the lower back stands typical of a HS stadium.

I really can't see any details in the pic like you all are pointing out. Perhaps its my eyes, or the smaller screen on my laptop. So there are no points in the pic that I even recognize that would say that's the stadium I think it is. But I did get a funny vibe when I saw the pic, if that's worth anything. But I thought I'd at least throw the possibility out there for what its worth. Oh, and Troopers were in Glenwood Springs that year too. Any chance the people are yelling, "welcome to the Springs?"

It is definitely not Hershey, because I have that one too! This is somewhere else. I was hoping someone might remember that giant section of missing grass, or the number of people seated on the field.

If I'm not mistaken, that "missing patch of grass" is actually a pole vaulting pit which suggests a college or municipal stadium since most high schools didn't offer that sport as part of track and field.

Are those actually light towers at backfield, or just lens reflections? I'm assuming the camera was tripod-mounteed and didn't move during the performance.

Can you decipher the regional accent of the person who yells at the top of the show? What sounds like "ace" could be "East" in Back Bay pronunciation.

Send me an mp3 of the audio and I'll do some forensic analysis.

I'll put together a short video clip over the weekend and post it. Thanks a lot everyone for trying so hard to solve the puzzle.

What this is, is a video that is likely to be included as a bonus track on the upcoming set. It would be nice if the banners that I put up could actually give the date and location... for now it says "1975, unknown location".

The "towers" might indeed be lens reflections. I'll try to put as much revealing stuff on the video clip as I can. Thanks again everyone.

CorpsReps data on theTroopers for 1975:

Aug. 8 Bellfontaine, OH

Aug. 8 Marion, OH (US Open Prelims)

Aug. 9 Marion, OH (US Open Finals)

Aug. 13 Philadelphia (DCI)

It seems unlikely they did 2 shows on the 8th, but it's not impossible. Marion to Bellfontaine is about 70 miles, and Jones might well have been trying to pick up some additional cash to augment the tour.

Are there any other corps on that video? A cross-check of line-ups would be helpful.