Why the Blue Devils should've scored higher than 99.05

OK, then let's have figure skating judges judge via the TV monitor, not sitting down next to the ice, since that's how 99 percent of the audience watches figure skating. :whistle:

Also not relevant, as in figure skating they are judging one individual. In drum corps its all about the whole...I'm saying the individual shouldnt matter as much

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love watching musical chairs in drum corps...it's SOOOO entertaining... :whistle:

BDs drill is (in my own opinion) not as hard as the corps that finish under them. BUT...it's not about how great the drill is, it's about how clean it is. Ex. Citations 09 compared to BD, SCVC, Teal, and Cap Reg. If the drill is clean and everything else is clean, then they will win. IMO...crown shoulda won but somehow BD wins in everything. Clean as *****

That gave me goosebumbs.

I was in the '01 version, and since finals I've never seen a group move better,

Until '09. I told a few guys in the parking lot after the show that I'm no longer part of the best marching ensemble ever....because '09 devils just won that caption hands down.

Rediculous!

~M

To paraphrase a text one of my friends sent to me after seeing them finals night: "If BD doesn't get a perfect 20 in feet I'm going to kill somebody." They got a 19.9. Oh well, can't win everything.

Edited by TSRTS13

why should their musical scores change based on non musical things?

the visual demand should be the job of the visual judge.

a lot of corps let visual get in the way of sound. you hear feet in the sound...people drop out on a really physical move.

You do realize that at the top level, the brass score comes down to cracked notes, right? Not something you can really hear from the box if you're that good. Everyone contending has the demand to win the Brass trophy.

No, I'm actually not. Thats great that its judged, by why can't it be judged from the stands? It will never make sense to me. If shows are made to be presented to an audience, why should they not be judged from that perspective?

Which audience perspective ought to be judged? Most of the audience is not high up between the 45s but that's where you'll find the judges - except those on the field. Why not have some judges down low? We've got audience down there. Lots of audience outside the 35s but no judges.

There is no way that Carolina Crown's brass performance was a 19.6. I'm not saying BD was better than Crown, quite the opposite in fact. If ever a show has deserved a perfect 20 in brass, it was Crown this year. Granted, I wasn't down on the field, so I don't really know what individual issues there were going on, but to me it seems like Jeff Harper was playing the numbers game and gave them a 19.6 so he wouldn't be pigeonholed into giving BD a perfect 20 if they performed better than Crown that night (which is pretty much what happened when BD got a perfect 20 at quarters in 2004). I'm sorry, but this Crown hornline blows that Devils one (2004) out of the water from start to finish. I haven't heard a hornline sound that good in person, and judging from CDs/DVDs I think the only corps that might give them a run for their money are the early 90s Star hornlines and a couple of BD shows from the mid-90s (94, 99 come to mind), and maybe, in terms of balance and blend, Cavaliers '02 (but they certainly didn't bring the volume Crown did this year). In a realistic world, Crown scores a 19.8 on finals night (or 19.9), BD gets a 19.6 or 19.7, ends up with a total music score of 29.55 and beats the Cavaliers score from '02 and Cadets from '05 by a tenth.

And don't even get me started on BD's visual scores. How they got less than a perfect 20 in field visual on finals night is beyond me. I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a display of technique like that on a football field, and I consider myself somewhat of a technique guru. You idiots can yap all you want about their lack of demand - which is pure and utter bull****, btw. . . Crown and BD were comparable this year. Cadets blew them both out of the water, but since when is that anything new? - but there was clearly no corps that held a candle to the visual clinic BD put on Saturday night in Indianapolis. I've spoken with several other people whose opinion of marching technique I respect, and they all pretty much agree. No one ever moves like the Blue Devils, but I think this is one of the best marching BD corps since maybe 2003 or 2001.

I laugh now, as I am going to go and stand/lie down/pose on a chair, while playing a horn!!! ( and I'm old, too.....amazing!!......I must be the state of the art)

GB

[/rant]

I laugh now, as I am going to go and stand/lie down/pose on a chair, while playing a horn!!! ( and I'm old, too.....amazing!!......I must be the state of the art)

GB

I'm sorry, there's just no way we can have an intelligent discussion about this. You are wrong. Stop letting a minute and a half of show time dictate what you think about a twelve minute performance.

Devs moved. A lot. If you don't see that, you're ignorant. That's all I can say.