B flat vs G scoring disparity

After watching the Mini corps competition at DCA, I'm convinced "B flat" corps should be judged in a separate category.

B flat instruments tend to be of better quality, ergo better tone and pitch. They sound cleaner and more like a "real" orchestra, or, in this case, brass ensemble.

To paraphrase Jeff Gibbons, "Figure skating or Hockey". They can use the same arena, but should they be "scored" the same?

I'm sure this topic has arisen before, but the differences in the relative qualities of the B flats vs G contestants at DCA was very patent.

Bruce Linderman

It is a corps choice to use Gs, and whatever it may do to them competitively is on them, really. That is like saying corps with old equipment should be in a different category as corps with new equipment. It is on the corps to get usable equipment and compensate for the downsides of whatever equipment they get, not the judges.

After watching the Mini corps competition at DCA, I'm convinced "B flat" corps should be judged in a separate category.

B flat instruments tend to be of better quality, ergo better tone and pitch. They sound cleaner and more like a "real" orchestra, or, in this case, brass ensemble.

To paraphrase Jeff Gibbons, "Figure skating or Hockey". They can use the same arena, but should they be "scored" the same?

I'm sure this topic has arisen before, but the differences in the relative qualities of the B flats vs G contestants at DCA was very patent.

Bruce Linderman

Yes. this sounds logical.

We should also classify corps based on the type of busses they use and their choice of hotel.

Or maybe spot a corps 30 points if they would be willing to field with G-D bugles.

Wait a minute. This argument isn't logical at all.

Bruce Linderman

Speaking for myself, I prefer the sound of G horn lines.

Yes. this sounds logical.

We should also classify corps based on the type of busses they use and their choice of hotel.

Or maybe spot a corps 30 points if they would be willing to field with G-D bugles.

Wait a minute. This argument isn't logical at all.

There! That's better :laugh:

As much as bag pipes are badly out of tune I still enjoy them marching in a parade. I would love to see an Alumni corps march with G-D Bugles. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure the Empire Statesmen have won or shared the DCA High Brass award at least twice in recent years, with them on Gs and their main competitors on B-flats.

Fran

I'm pretty sure the Empire Statesmen have won or shared the DCA High Brass award at least twice in recent years, with them on Gs and their main competitors on B-flats.

Fran

It's true.

Fran

So true. G mini corps clearly have the advantage going in. Why would anyone spot them extra points. Should it not be the other way around???

:laugh: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<KIDDING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. :ninja:

And what would you do if a corps had a mixed line??

No...because they're not the same activity...the only similarity is they both involve skating on ice...Bb vs G...they both do the EXACT same job.