Drum Corps Injuries

Sun burn injuries? I had long hair, and kept it parted. I didn't wear a hat because of it. Well, when I shaved my head finally... I had a sunburn mohawk. >_>

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was different where you marched, but there were very few people faking injuries at my corps. I saw a whole lot more bandaged, drugged, and going way overboard on the ibuprofen to just make it through the day.

I did something to my LCL (back of the knee, outside) in '08 that hurt any time I bent my knee and put weight on it. I asked the trainer about it at the beginning of the day and he told me that he saw no reason for me to sit out. You can't tell someone like me that.... I take that as a challenge. I spent the whole 12 hour practice in tears running back to sets before a staff member finally pulled me out.

Long story short, the staff didn't LET me march for a week, and even then, it was only because I told them that I was going to march. And the whole time, I felt horribly guilty for not being in the block thinking that everyone on the field thought I was faking it. It never healed. I just started popping 4 ibuprofens at a time and got ulcers from it.

That was in '08. I'm just now starting to be able to walk again without pain.

Maybe it was different where you marched, but there were very few people faking injuries at my corps. I saw a whole lot more bandaged, drugged, and going way overboard on the ibuprofen to just make it through the day.

I never said there were a lot of people faking, just that it happened. Some people seemed shocked that it could ever happen. Every corps has people that march when they probably shouldnt be, and sit out when they should be marching....just a part of the activity.

My age out year at Crown in 08' there were many injuries (specifically in the trumpet section) that were all stress fractures in the feet. For most of the season we had anywhere from 4-8 holes. I finally healed early July and got back in! It was a very strange experience sitting on the sideline unable to do anything. I got to see things that not too many others were able to see and that helped me be more constructive in Sectionals and in my own performance.

One thing that BLEW was some people constantly giving me #### about sitting out while they were working their butts off... one of the weirdest feelings... guilt and pain! Nothing like it! :P

Achilles tendonitis in 06. basically just overworked that tendon that goes from your heel to your calf or something. took me out for a few days and the doctor put me on steroids to speed up the healing process.

also in 06, i got some kind of sick where my insides pretty much said "i think i need to be completely empty now for some reason". anything i ate for like 2 days would come back up within 5 minutes. even water. what was already in me came out in the toilet...violently... i felt ok but since i wasn't getting any water or nutrients i was really weak and couldn't rehearse for like a day and a half.

other than those two times i never missed a rep in my 4 years of marching... at least not that i remember

I had what I thought was minor knee injury prior to move-ins in 06. About 2/3rds of the way through the season, rehearsing for the Denton show, my knee hyperextended, and I tore my ACL and meniscus cartilage. Had to go home and get surgery, then I was on crutches for a month or two.

07, during a show in Arkansas, I over-hyped a visual and re-tore the cartilage. I couldn't march, but I stayed on as a conductor and ran the met.

hmm nothing serious with me. got shin splints in 07 on both legs which affected me in 09 when we were doing basics like @ 200 or so. my legs got really stiff and couldnt really march so i would strech them out. this isnt a drum corps injury but i also had a wisdom tooth come in during all days.worst pain EVER! went to the dentist one day and pulled it out and was on vicodin for the next few days which was great.

Way back in 1982, the Knights (Geneseo) had a practice field with pretty bad lighting. Catching any guard equipment is enough of a challenge without having to guess where it's going to come back from the dark. One flag pole decided to land on my lovely bride's cheekbone, leaving her with a black eye. Then, to add insult to injury (literally), she did it again to the other side.

Hence a short-lived nickname of "Adrian", as in "Yo, Adrian!"

Garry in Vegas

The only advice I've ever gotten on how to toss in poor light is "count your rotations".

Someone asked one day during all days

"What about the wind?"

Instructor says "The wind cant count for you"

D'OH!

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to sue the corps over their injuries?

I'd say it would be pointless, because wouldn't something relating to injuries be in the contract they signed?