DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

I can think of a few suggestions for Frank Dorritie... :tongue:

A little harsh??? :tongue:

I walked by the place where they did that to Louis XVI and Maria Antoinette last night. It's looking a little boring, but maybe a public beheading will liven things up! :sad:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .I wonder how fast Allentown will sell out in 2010.

I think quite a few people might make it their "Finals" this year. :tongue:

Already got my tickets :tongue: Even if you cant get in, just bring a big truck and park it at the top of the hill really early, then stand on top of it. You'll probably have a comparably good sound and viewing experience compared to 80% of the seats in indy :sad:

A little harsh??? :tongue:

I walked by the place where they did that to Louis XVI and Maria Antoinette last night. It's looking a little boring, but maybe a public beheading will liven things up! :tongue:

nope. Drum Corps is black and white, no grey area.

displeasing the the fandom in such a manner warrants death.

march to the scaffold!

I don't think he is saying to design a show that would work for LOS. As someone who has performed in multiple venues with concert bands, I understand that we need to adjust the way we play to each venue, but the music was all the same. It's not a new concept really. If I remember correctly, corps used to carry around large binders of weather conditions for each city/town/stadium they would play in and adjust tuning and whatnot based on what was recorded in these binders.

So what could a corps do in this age to adjust to different venues?

1. adjust dynamics of individual sections

2. change the tuning pitch (440, 441...etc.)

3. adjust angle of horns

4. adjust tempo settings

These are just some things I've have seen done in the past. The corps staff are supposed to be experienced, well educated musicians, so should be able to get a good handle on how to adjust their corps to different conditions. Granted, it's not easy to make such adjustments and at some points, the time to do so may not be accessible, but there are things that can be done.

Rex pointed out to me that one thing that corps could do to optimize the sound for this venue would be to turn down the BASS 'reinforcement' coming from the amps. Several corps just amp'd the &*%$#^ out of their low-end. That may play well in a big outdoor stadium - but it just bounces around in an indoor venue.

Maybe what Mr. Dorritie was saying is that corps would sound better if they were not amp'd so much and so badly. In fact there was just as much 'real estate' in the article on that subject "“Levels and EQ for amplified sound need to be optimized for Lucas Oil Stadium, as in any professional concert situation.”

What a concept .... 'drum corps un-plugged'

Of course that was overlooked as well as other aspects of the article so we could make a mountain of a molehill out of this one comment.

I refuse to let you make some kind of exception for the situation using that line of thinking.

My point, Chicken Little, was that corps designers will adjust to playing in LOS. Some of them did a very nice job of compensating based on the available info in 2009, and not by "playing mf". They will do an even better job in 2010.

The sky is not falling, and good shows can be designed and performed in the dome, while still sounding perfectly good outside. Those that do not, well, it's their own fault.

It's time that drum corps designers stop thinking like drum corps designers and more like people putting on a real show...one that can be preformed to a high level in whatever the available venue. This is one area where corps that do electronics well will really excel.

Wow. So now we expect design to cater simply to how the acoustics will be at finals, what about the other 98% of the season?

I would love if DCI could provide actual specifics:

What aspects of the design and arranging would actually improve the wash of sound at LOS?

How drastic do these changes need to be?

Are they coming out and saying the roof will be closed no matter what?

These "sonic anomolies" are much more present then in any other venue of the year. Are they actually going to do something to fix it, or pass the buck onto design staffs and blame them for the sound?

Obviously you do not attend many shows. Atlanta and San Antonio are much worst sonically.

They are not passing the buck. Why do you think that DCI is releasing all of this info: they are trying to improve the sound quality.

Can they? I do not know, but there seems to be a feeling that this is all DCI's fault. This is really short sighted. Couldn't it just be possible that they are really trying?

I wish all of the DCA detractors would stay on their side as they can never see anything good about DCI.

Some of the people who are commenting have never even been in LOS. How can you even give an opinion?

Maybe we should have separate forums: Wait, we do.

DCA people: please stay on the DCA side and stop your continuous criticism of DCI. We should be trying to build up the activity and not continuously attack DCI just because you don't like some of their policies.

I do not see any DCI people attacking DCA.

I wish that DCI would open there own forum on dci.org so DCI people could talk among ourselves and not have this continual attack by the DCA cabal (As if they were the only "pure" drum corps left)!

It is unbelievable to me the level of animosity that is present against DCI. Please stay on your DCA forum and let us DCI folks try to actually work out solutions instead of just attacking DCI.

They are working on solutions. Let's work with them and keep building up the activity.

Rex pointed out to me that one thing that corps could do to optimize the sound for this venue would be to turn down the BASS 'reinforcement' coming from the amps. Several corps just amp'd the &*%$#^ out of their low-end. That may play well in a big outdoor stadium - but it just bounces around in an indoor venue.

THAT, is an issue i dont think you will find much argument with on here. And for the record, did anybody LIKE hearing synths blare a bass note out through an amp either way....indoor or out? But i guess if it convinces corps to turn down the base its a good thing. Kind of like every cloud has a silver lining, except this cloud is made of....well, doodoo. :tongue:

My point, Chicken Little, was that corps designers will adjust to playing in LOS. Some of them did a very nice job of compensating based on the available info in 2009, and not by "playing mf". They will do an even better job in 2010.

The sky is not falling, and good shows can be designed and performed in the dome, while still sounding perfectly good outside. Those that do not, well, it's their own fault.

It's time that drum corps designers stop thinking like drum corps designers and more like people putting on a real show...one that can be preformed to a high level in whatever the available venue. This is one area where corps that do electronics well will really excel.

Designing a show to sound good in 3 or 4 enclosed stadiums is not the same thing as fixing problems unique to those venues and non existent everywhere else. That's what I thought (and still hope) DCI was going to be addressing.

And despite your revelation that shows have been designed in the past to do well at the finals venue, you forgot to mention that before this year, they were all outside.

The majority of shows did not sound good inside at LOS.

There is absolutely no precedent for stating that designing shows to sound good at LOS will result in shows that sound as good outside of LOS...which just happens to be where most shows are.