Infamous Drum Corps Members

1977...... I might not have all the details totally correct on this one, but here's the gist of the whole thing from what I remember:

Late in the season, we watched as a group from Yankee Rebels/South Wind played "human bowling."

10 guys lined up in the standard 10-pin formation at the bottom of a hill, and another guy... the "bowling ball"... would roll down the hill and try to knock as many of the "10-pins" down. If he didn't get a strike, he would go back up the hill and roll down again to try and knock the rest of the guys down and convert the spare.

The best shot of the night..... the guy rolled down and left a "split".... two of the 10-pins left standing... not a 7-10 split, the two "pins" were a bit closer together.

So.... the "bowling ball" rolled down the hill a second time, took one guy out with his body and leg-whipped the other guy to the ground!!!! Hilarious.

A buddy of mine who marched with YR/South Wind that season said the bowling game was part of what they called the "Wide World of Dorks" series. I think McShane might have been involved with the whole thing. LOL

Fran

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977...... I might not have all the details totally correct on this one, but here's the gist of the whole thing from what I remember:

Late in the season, we watched as a group from Yankee Rebels/South Wind played "human bowling."

10 guys lined up in the standard 10-pin formation at the bottom of a hill, and another guy... the "bowling ball"... would roll down the hill and try to knock as many of the "10-pins" down. If he didn't get a strike, he would go back up the hill and roll down again to try and knock the rest of the guys down and convert the spare.

The best shot of the night..... the guy rolled down and left a "split".... two of the 10-pins left standing... not a 7-10 split, the two "pins" were a bit closer together.

So.... the "bowling ball" rolled down the hill a second time, took one guy out with his body and leg-whipped the other guy to the ground!!!! Hilarious.

A buddy of mine who marched with YR/South Wind that season said the bowling game was part of what they called the "Wide World of Dorks" series. I think McShane might have been involved with the whole thing. LOL

Fran

This "game" sounds like something that occured with Westshore but it was a member who went sliding

down a hill next to the Hershey stadium. Something about the superman theme and some Skyliners wanted to see it again so they attempted to throw the member down the hill.... Help me Jeff, I can't remember the whole story.... could McShane have been that member?

Ricky Lee S####### was Superman and the next paragraph is what I posted 5 years ago about it. The Superman "legend" :thumbdown: started somewhere between 1980-1983 (IOW after I left and before the corps reformed in 1984). And the Bud towel was his "cape".

"Sounds like the way Paul Geiger (yet another bass drummer) described it to me a week or two after it happened. Don't remember Paul telling me about the Cabs showing up but then he was laughing so hard he was kinda hard to understand at times. "... and look it's SUPERMAN... *laugh* and it's Ricky Lee with that ####### Bud towel of his.... *laugh gag* and a WHOLE #### load of Skyliners chasing him. *laugh wheeze watering eyes, etc etc*...":P "

And Fran, I remember Yankee Rebels/South Wind. That game might have explained their scores. :worthy: At DCA we heard their new name was South Wind (Southwind?). Next comment I heard was "They're a south wind (aka fart) alright." Much I hate to bust on another corps, just didn't sound right..... Oh crap, just realize I have a recording of them, will have to burn that to CD.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I went through this entire thread before responding. I'm surprised some of the oldtimers forgot the most notorious group of drum corps people EVER!!!

Yes I'm referring to I.C. Reveries 1966 sitdown on the starting line at VFW Nationals. They got screwed and did not make finals and decided to not take it. To quote Corpreps they "passed into drum corps history" when they somehow got through the gate and sat down on the starting line and would not move. They performed their show but were not judged.

The parish removed their sponsorship but the Director ( all drum corps people know who I'm referring to) gathered the kids together and formed a new corps and the "27th Lancers exploded on the drum corps scene". Classic. The sad part is the corps I.C. Reveries will always be known for the sitdown and we forget they were a #### good corps, a corps more then worthy of a finalist spot that year.

Just as an aside to their worthiness this was also a year where you could put together a top 8 that would have been within 3 points of each other. A truly legendary year with Cavaliers, Royalaires, Skokie Vanguard, Kilties, a legendary Troopers year, Blessed Sacrament, St. Lucys and again a legendary Boston Crusaders show.

If your referring to that defending 1965 CYO, American Legion, and VFW National Champion Corps from Chicago so as not to be confused with the all girl corp from back east or the San Francisco bay area corps with a simular name the correct spelling is "Chicago Royal-Airs". Edited by royal-air canada

Two brothers in the corps were famous for ducking out on the check when the busses pulled into a diner. One weekend we pulled in for food and Boo Boo (if you know who the late Boo Boo is, you will know that he was a pretty straight-ahead kind of guy) stood by the cash register and made sure the miscreants paid.

Back on the bus, Boo Boo pulled his bill out of his pocket and announced that he had left without paying.

OK... well, as long as we aren't naming names here, I will say that many... MANY... of the Kilts guys, pretty much when they were an all guys corps, but even some when they were co-ed... were "infamous" for sometimes making sure we ALL knew what they wore under their kilts.

I didn't need to see that, actually. But sadly, I was in the wrong place at the wrong times sometimes.... :thumbdown:

OK... well, as long as we aren't naming names here, I will say that many... MANY... of the Kilts guys, pretty much when they were an all guys corps, but even some when they were co-ed... were "infamous" for sometimes making sure we ALL knew what they wore under their kilts.

I didn't need to see that, actually. But sadly, I was in the wrong place at the wrong times sometimes.... :thumbdown:

A marching band around here does that as well some times.

Late 1970s, Sunrisers had a bass drummer who apparently had problems remembering when rehearsals started. It got to the point where the rest of the drum line started a pool... each picking a time when they thought the bass drum guy would show up!

The above is one of the tamer stories that I could share from my days with Sun. We most definitely had a cast of characters there. LOL

Fran

Not easy telling some of those SunStories with the family friendly format here... :worthy:

(They would look like the Nixon tapes with more words missing than showing... :thumbdown: )

Not easy telling some of those SunStories with the family friendly format here... :worthy:

(They would look like the Nixon tapes with more words missing than showing... :thumbdown: )

Censored.jpg

Censored.jpg

Yep.... John that's what they would look like...LOL :thumbdown: