DCI's new "angle" defending Lucas....."ask the judg

But we don't know if it's a "big mistake" to have Championships in LOS. We know that some people don't like the acoustics. We don't know what the costs involved are, and we don't know if the financial incentives for DCI to be in LOS long term outweigh the potential drop in attendance.

The only thing each person can do is decide for themselves. So, the problem statement isn't to try to reach group consensus. Each person will decide whether it was a big mistake based on their own experience. Those who think it was a big mistake probably won't be back. I don't know anyone who would say they really hated it, but will be back, because it helps the bottom line. In general, if you hated it you won't be back. Therefore, the decision's been made. The effect on dci's bottom line will be felt in 2010. And 2011, etc., if there is a negative effect.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 2011 will be the telling year. I think more than a few people want to give them one last chance.

I'm willing to give them at least one more chance. But I want to see legitimate attempts at fixing problems they've (admirably) at least begun to acknowledge.

It's a little odd to have a DCI Direct article from Mr. Jacobs acknowledging obvious problems followed immediately by an article in which supposed experts/judges talk about how there were no problems at all, and how things are just hunkey dorey.

I'll just be disappointed if DCI strings us along with talk of OBVIOUS problems, but when it comes to actual solutions, they fall back on the old "the judges love LOS so therefore it's great" party line. Many of us are at least partially educated and can figure out pretty easily when we're being BS'd.

I think 2011 will be the telling year. I think more than a few people want to give them one last chance.

I think DCI will know whether this is going to work long-term right after 2011 championships. It will take three years for them to see meaningful revenue and cost numbers and decide. And the key for them will not be so much whether people like you'd find on DCP keep returning to Indy. The key will be whether they can keep their numbers up by bringing in new audience blood, new families, new Indianapolis locals, and so on, to replace those who got tired of Indy (as fans got tired of Madison in the '80s and in Orlando in the '90s when the championships were in those cities three years in a row), as well as people who just don't like LOS. And you have to also figure in whatever they're saving keeping it in Indy and whether that makes up for fans who no longer to championships.

The old pharts are getting sacrificed... pushed off to Allentown... at least until somebody at DCI decides that judging is too inconsistent and the last four weekends should all be inside domed stadiums. Then, either a dome gets built over J. Birney Crum, or DCI East gets moved to Syracuse University's indoor stadium. Then we can meet the 3rd Saturday in June in Whitewater, for Old Times' Sake.

Which is what IMO you can't do in any meaningful manner. You mentioned further down that the sound on the recordings in 95 was bad as compared to other years. Does that automatically mean that the sound LIVE was somehow worse in 95? No...it was just a bad recording.

Yes....and as many of us are aware, it was done by a whole different crew of people that had no prior experience recording marching music. This year's broadcast was done by the same Tom Blair/Larry Rock/etc. team that did the work in 2008....and 2007....and every year since 1999.

Yes....and as many of us are aware, it was done by a whole different crew of people that had no prior experience recording marching music. This year's broadcast was done by the same Tom Blair/Larry Rock/etc. team that did the work in 2008....and 2007....and every year since 1999.

So what? There is still no way to sit in a theater and decide what the sound is at the live event for those at the event.

So what? There is still no way to sit in a theater and decide what the sound is at the live event for those at the event.

That's why, after hearing whuuuuumahwuuuuuuuuumBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm through a few of the shows at the cinecast, I called people at the stadium who told me they were hearing the same thing.

DCI has said there are problems with the acoustics. People both in the stadium and at the cinecast heard these problems. DCI has even said they're assembling a team to address the issues. I'm not sure what kind of reaction you expect to hear from people when you imply that their perceptions are delusional.

DCI has said there are problems with the acoustics. People both in the stadium and at the cinecast heard these problems. DCI has even said they're assembling a team to address the issues. I'm not sure what kind of reaction you expect to hear from people when you imply that their perceptions are delusional.

I didn't say he was delusional...I said no person can fairly judge the live show from sitting in a theater.

I have never said the sound was good, bad or anything at all, as I was not there. Those at the show were in a position to make those judgements for themselves.

I didn't say he was delusional...I said no person can fairly judge the live show from sitting in a theater.

I have never said the sound was good, bad or anything at all, as I was not there. Those at the show were in a position to make those judgements for themselves.

my judgment still stands. leave, leave while you still can.

ok Mike, well then, just for you, compared to prvious cinecasts, the sound sucked.

it sucked for Semis streamed onto a screen in back paorch too