Lucas Oil Stadium Director Discusses 'Sound Ideas'

OK - so we may be seeing meaningful changes, then. Still, Allentown sales may be up solely on account of people choosing to go there instead of LOS.

The Friends of DCI upturn is good news.

There is actually one big difference between Allentown ticket sales this year versus last year - the upper deck.

When the tickets first went on sale last year, the upper deck seats were not available. (When they became available later, DCI offered people who had already purchased the option of moving to the upper deck if they wanted. This occurred around March, IIRC.)

This year, the upper deck seats are available right from the start. That could be why Allentown ticket sales are up that would have nothing to do with Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy fix. Madison and Blue Stars both rehearse in Indianapolis for their winter camps correct. Get DCI Officials, LOS Officials and the 2 corps to due a Saturday sound test. set up stuff to record sound and video. analyze the data.

Madison Scouts and Blue Stars can then do a run through in the dome with the roof opened. and then the roof closed. it is winter so im sure the place is brisk anyways. dont use the air conditioning and put up the curtains like they were set up for the 2009 BOA Grand Nationals.

Get the guy that records all blue devils CD's - Frank D. to do the audio testing and see which is better. Get a Video set up and do a live feed for fan network subscribers. brining money in.... Use the reaction from fan network subscribers. get the Friends of DCI Involved in it. i am sure they would love to be the test audience.

It is possible for them to try this. and who so ever didnt put a drainage system in on a building with that kind of price tag. they need to think what damage is being caused by not having proper drainage. there are foundations and alot of stuff underground that the regular vistor doesnt see..

After the debacle with Ticketmaster last year, this could be the result of people not wanting to pay premium prices to sit on the 10 yard line low. Why do we need Ticketmaster to sell tickets now, when we never did for past championships?

Ticketmaster has a virtual monopoly on ticket sales at major venues in the US.

Ticketmaster has exclusive agreements with almost all major NFL and NCAA stadiums. This includes Lucas Oil Stadium, the Georgia Dome and even MTSU in Murfreesboro. They also have agreements with many stand alone facilities such as the Alamodome in San Antonio and the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. (Other recent Finals sites like Denver, Foxboro and Madison - all are now Ticketmaster.)

If you want to buy tickets to events, sooner or later, you will be dealing with Ticketmaster.

easy fix. Madison and Blue Stars both rehearse in Indianapolis for their winter camps correct. Get DCI Officials, LOS Officials and the 2 corps to due a Saturday sound test. set up stuff to record sound and video. analyze the data.

Madison Scouts and Blue Stars can then do a run through in the dome with the roof opened. and then the roof closed. it is winter so im sure the place is brisk anyways. dont use the air conditioning and put up the curtains like they were set up for the 2009 BOA Grand Nationals.

Get the guy that records all blue devils CD's - Frank D. to do the audio testing and see which is better. Get a Video set up and do a live feed for fan network subscribers. brining money in.... Use the reaction from fan network subscribers. get the Friends of DCI Involved in it. i am sure they would love to be the test audience.

It is possible for them to try this. and who so ever didnt put a drainage system in on a building with that kind of price tag. they need to think what damage is being caused by not having proper drainage. there are foundations and alot of stuff underground that the regular vistor doesnt see..

This is a great idea! Finally, from the primordial soup of brain power on this forum, a useful idea comes forth.

So, I think... (all numbers pulled from the deepest recesses of you-know-where)

500 high school kids from the local area at $5 a ticket. That's $2500.

3000 general admission at $15.00. That $45,000.

plus food purchases and local bar patronage. ???

I don't know how important $45- to $50-thousand is to DCI, but I'd think anything to help out in the cost of fixing LOS for drum corps would be worth it. Heck, I'd have a bake sale (and get my wife and kids to bake!) if I thought they had a workable solution. Plus, I'm only four hours away and my son and I would make the trip. Maybe if they had a tour of DCI offices afterwards...or maybe had clinics afterwards...or open music practice by Blue Stars and Scouts...

Seems this could work...

Discuss...

Edited by garfield

This is a great idea! Finally, from the primordial soup of brain power on this forum, a useful idea comes forth.

So, I think... (all numbers pulled from the deepest recesses of you-know-where)

500 high school kids from the local area at $5 a ticket. That's $2500.

3000 general admission at $15.00. That $45,000.

plus food purchases and local bar patronage. ???

I don't know how important $45- to $50-thousand is to DCI, but I'd think anything to help out in the cost of fixing LOS for drum corps would be worth it. Heck, I'd have a bake sale (and get my wife and kids to bake!) if I thought they had a workable solution. Plus, I'm only four hours away and my son and I would make the trip. Maybe if they had a tour of DCI offices afterwards...or maybe had clinics afterwards...or open music practice by Blue Stars and Scouts...

Seems this could work...

Discuss...

Don't forget to subtract the cost of the stadium rental.

It sure was quiet last night when 90% of Colts fans had left by late 4th quarter when the 14-0 Colts management decided to protect and sit Peyton Manning and some other players down after the first series of the second half, basically throwing the game to the Jets, a bubble wildcard team among other AFC wildcard bubble teams that were placed at a disadvantage by the Colts' white flag surrender. So much for the Colts' chance to join the '72 Miami Dolphins as the only modern NFL team to run the table. Talk about bad karma. Many fans now want to see the Colts lose their opening playoff game.

What does this post have to do with drum corps? Not much I guess.

How about this: you can forget any thought of LOS management installing acoustic tile to help drum corps sound better if the stadium is "too quiet" when full and the Colts are winning. And I don't think the Scouts testing the stadium in June is going to tell you much if there aren't any fans sitting in concert side. Most people who were there Thursday-Saturday last August said it sounded very different Saturday when a lot of people were there than it did on Thursday when a lot of people were at home in theaters.

i think a test...if you can get fans...would be a good idea.......once you talk someone into paying for it

Since LOS and DCI Supposedly have a deal on the stadium, and LOS and DCI are supposedly working together to make Finals Week the best possible experiment. I dont think that costs would be invloved to know that they are working together to see what can be done to improve the quality of sound. I dont trust what the judges say about the sound issues at LOS. I was there for BOA and i know it isnt the same as DCI but.. I know what i heard.

Im Just going to e-mail my suggestion to Bob Jacobs and The Directors of Blue Stars and Madison Scouts. The only thing that can happen is it doesn't happen. but i look at it this way. If a fan is making a legit request and concerned and presents an option to not only bring in money to DCI, but to also possibly help make the sounds at LOS better. They should be opted to listen and at least Ponder the thoughts. DCI Meetings are Jan 10. Maybe it will get brought up and Other Directors say it is a good idea!

It sure was quiet last night when 90% of Colts fans had left by late 4th quarter when the 14-0 Colts management decided to protect and sit Peyton Manning and some other players down after the first series of the second half, basically throwing the game to the Jets, a bubble wildcard team among other AFC wildcard bubble teams that were placed at a disadvantage by the Colts' white flag surrender. So much for the Colts' chance to join the '72 Miami Dolphins as the only modern NFL team to run the table. Talk about bad karma. Many fans now want to see the Colts lose their opening playoff game.

What does this post have to do with drum corps? Not much I guess.

How about this: you can forget any thought of LOS management installing acoustic tile to help drum corps sound better if the stadium is "too quiet" when full and the Colts are winning. And I don't think the Scouts testing the stadium in June is going to tell you much if there aren't any fans sitting in concert side. Most people who were there Thursday-Saturday last August said it sounded very different Saturday when a lot of people were there than it did on Thursday when a lot of people were at home in theaters.

I was there last year (all three nights) and I didn't notice a "very different" sound on Saturday compared to Thurs.- Fri., with perhaps only a slight difference outside of the 20 yard line. And one thing for certain.....it was terrible all three nights (my seat was on the 40 yard line at press box level). I do believe that testing with an actual corps is a good idea, even if it fails. They could at least experiment with where the curtains are hung, opening the roof vs. closed, and maybe even try some other suspended curtains (don't know if possible). Frankly, I don't think it will do much, but any improvement is better than what there is now. However, I would "bet the farm" that there will not be a drum corps in there before nationals....they will hang a few curtains and say they addressed it.

What the Colts did was terrible, and I hope they do lose in the 1st round.............

GB