Goodbye to the "00s"

I'm still waiting for the decade to REALLY be over at the end of 2010. After all, we didn't start our calendar with year 0. 1BC/1AD. No 0. First decade: 1-10; second decade 11-20; etc.

California wasn't a waste of money if you'd been waiting since DCI started to have championships on the west coast. (Disclaimer: VFW Nationals were in LA in 1975, but there were no DCI finalists involved.)

Happy Holidays, Tek!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can adjust your board preferences for how many posts to put on each page and perhaps should do so. Your comment above was still on page one of my viewing. It might not have seemed so bad if you were still on page one.

Go to:

My Controls > Board Settings > Board Control Settings

Then you can select how many threads are on each page and how many posts are in each thread. I think I have mine on a 40 thread/40 posts per thread setting.

I'm still waiting for the decade to REALLY be over at the end of 2010. After all, we didn't start our calendar with year 0. 1BC/1AD. No 0. First decade: 1-10; second decade 11-20; etc.

Im waiting for a thread like this to go by without someone bringing this up....i was excited after all these pages, but alas, there it is. Noone consides 1990 Garfield to be the best show of the 80's, and noone expected the world to end in 2001 because it was the new millenium. You can divide polls and 'best of' threads however you want. Either way, he called it 'the 00s', which is over regardless once you add a '1' in there. I will now proceed to be grumpy and stomp on little children's presents.... Rawr Rawr Rawr!!

:thumbs-up:

My greatest moments of the 2000's were marching a full field show again after a 34 year hiatus in 2002 at the DCI Championships in Madison, Wisconsin and the DCA Championships in Scranton, Pennsylvania in 2002,2003,2004,and 2005 with the Chicago Royal-Airs Reunion Corps and then practicing for two years and again marching a full field show with the Anaheim Kingsmen (KAC) Alumni Corps at the DCI Championships at the "Rose Bowl" in Pasadena, California in 2007. Go Big Blue's!

Edited by royal-air canada

California wasn't a waste of money if you'd been waiting since DCI started to have championships on the west coast. (Disclaimer: VFW Nationals were in LA in 1975, but there were no DCI finalists involved.)

Happy Holidays, Tek!

Garry in Vegas

I was waiting for this moment.

According to Webster's Dictionary:

decade [duh-keyd]

-noun

a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero: the decade of the 1980s.

But then again, they could be wrong. :thumbs-up:

Happy Holidays to you too Garry.

2. BD, my all time favorite corps doing a show that I still cannot stand behind today, Dance Derby '05, no matter how much I love them.

hey, hey, hey. I liked that show...

hey, hey, hey. I liked that show...

/agree...definitely better than 2009. :thumbs-up:

Memorable for me? That I actually got to march early in the decade after having been introduced to drum corps in the mid 90's. I couldn't believe how it was nothing like I could've imagined, and better than I could've ever hoped. Later in the decade I was introduced to DCA, and realized it never has to end! Also, watching corps like Magic, Spirit, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, and Troopers make some memorable come backs. Phantom winning with one of my all-time favorite performances. The Bluecoats being impressively dominant for a couple years with a powerhouse drumline and the most impressive bassline I've ever seen ('08). As far as hopes for DCI goes, these days I suppose my wishes for junior corps are too politically incorrect to even bother with. But I hope the activity as a whole survives and continues to ignite a passion for music in thousands of people. Merry Christmas everybody! Oh, and I agree there is one more year left in the decade, but I get it.

The decade of 2000-2009 was the Visual Decade.

However, as we closed out the decade, the Corps that was undefeated in 2009 was a Corps that slowed down the frenetic movement we'd become used too where we went from marching to literally running on the field. It was not missed on this poster that the winning Corps in 2009 took a chair, took a seat, and slowed things down a bit. How symbolic. Even their entrance onto the field in the first visual move was designed to be slow and methodical.. How creative and refreshing I thought ( as did the judges )

I believe that the next decade we'll see a more balanced approach in the activity. We'll see the return to more music taking preference over the visual. There will be less running into formations. ( it is hard to run with electric guitars for instance). 2009 was a snapshot into the future of the DCI marching band as it continues to evolve.

Edited by BRASSO