Goodbye to the "00s"

Percussion Perspective:

00: Cavaliers appearance of dominance with winning drums 99 and 00. (BD's 1st year on Dynasty Drums)

01-03: Cadets now playing Yamaha in lieu of Pearl ruling DCI's percussion title for 3 straight seasons...with their trademark fast tap rolls and fast drill. Even taking high drums in 02 with 6 tenors.

04: SCV has gem of a season with not only a well executed book by the line, but a very musical arrangement by Jim Casella

05: Cadets takes the title back making it 4 out of 5 seasons winning the drum trophy, perhaps an argument for the Drumline of the decade in DCI.

06: Phantom Regiment: Taking High Drums for the 1st time in DCI marking their start of a Percussion Dynasty (Excuse the pun even though they had Pearl at the time)

07: BD finally captures their first Perc. title since 1997 at their home state.

08: Phantom Regiment's drumline dominates the season in not only taking the drum title but leading the charge in the Corps capturing their 1st stand alone DCI trophy in dramatic fashion.

09: BD goes undefeated in making it 2 of 3 seasons winning the Drum title marking the last season with Dynasty.

Closing Thoughts: It will be very interesting to hear how BD will sound with Pearl. I see Crown becoming a player for the Drum title for years to come. As long as the drum staff is intact w/ Phantom, they will always be contenders, same for the Cadets. How will Cavies be with Mac? Can we see the Scouts being in the mix in a few years? Can SCV rise up in placement? What other Drumlines will make noise sort to speak in the next decade? We will see.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!! :thumbs-up:

Edited by Jeffe77

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into drum corps

My own experiences marching in 08

Cadets 00, 02, 08

Cavies 02-04, 06

SCV 01, 03-04

Phantom 03, 06-09

Crown 07-09

Madison 08

X-Men 09

G-Men 08

Bluecoats 07-08

BAC 00, 02, 08-09

For me, two things immediately come to mind.

1. Being in the stands in Madison in 2002 when my alma mater corps, Spirit, returned to finals for the first time in 11 years - years that included one inactive year and a year in which a former corps manager tried to fold the corps just weeks before the season began. It was an incredibly hard road back to the "night show," as we used to call finals, but with the help of a lot of alumni and other friends, Spirit made it. And they will make it again.

2. The immense pride in my heart as I watched my stepson take the field for the past four years with Spirit, knowing that he was feeling the same thrill from performing with the corps that I felt in 1977-79.

Well one of the things I am doing (along with everyone else) is doing the best top 12 shows of the 2000s so I can look back on amazing accomplishments....

But for me, the 2000s was the decade I was introduced to drum corps (specifically 2003). I won't forget when I was watching the 1999 DVD for the first time, seeing Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Vanguard.....and when I first saw Cadets, I thought they looked like toy soldiers. It was one of those groups that I saw and just thought "I couldn't do that."

I'll never forget the ESPN2 broadcasts from 05 to 07. Changed me forever when I saw a marching activity on national TV.

I'll never forget watching Crown live for the first time (2006). Their hornline was unlike anything I had ever heard.

I remember watching Cadets 2006 and never thought I'd be marching 2 amazing seasons with them.

I'll never forget BD from this decade. Completely dominating from these past few years....when I watched them in 2008, I was stunned to my seat.

And I will never forget the 2009 Inauguration Parade.....as well as ending my ageout year with the 75th anniversary, show....and finals night was unforgettable. It will stay with me forever.

Looking forward to the '10s....

The decade for me is a bit lopsided. I wasn't nearly as involved in the early part due to family and work circumstances. But in 2006 everything changed for me: the Troopers were taking a year off. People on DCP were shocked, and frankly I'm sure a few people thought there would be no return. That's not an unusual thing to expect, but then amazing things happened.

2007 for me holds three particularly memorable things:

1. The Troopers came BACK. Fred Morris and the board completely turned the sinking ship around and then wrestled it back into working order. It was a solid show, the corps was large (despite a first camp with only a handful of kids), and it was all thanks to a lot of people rallying behind the comeback season.

2. Madison Scouts. Wow, what a season for them! They came out with something that just was NOT working at all, but by San Antonio there was a really good show on the field. I loved the opening of that show. I watch it frequently and always get goose bumps.

3. Carolina Crown's "Triple Crown" show. This show was a total "OMG" show for me. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me it epitomized what my experience of Crown has been - amazing hornline, beautiful arrangements, great story-telling.

2008: Spartacus. This defines 2008 for me. I liked BD's show as well - a lot. But Spartacus took me into a whole new realm of drum corps entertainment. Troopers "Iron Horse Express" was a good show and helped the corps continue to build the foundation for the coming year. I also enjoyed Blue Stars and Bluecoats. I liked 2008 a lot.

2009: this one is obvious for me - Troopers in finals. There were a lot of emotional moments for me this year, but being online with many Trooper Chat friends during Semi's when they announced the score will be a moment frozen in time. The other memory for me will be SCV's "Ballet for Martha" show. Copland is an area of expertise for me, and I was impressed and moved by their orchestration and their visual tributes to Martha Graham.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hOW 'BOUT THAT???!!??

:thumbs-up:

I just noticed that I read all 4 pages of this topic and not one person returned the happy holidays. So much for holiday spirit.

maybe some of us are still waiting to get our money back. am i the only one who feels like i didn't get my $1's worth? :thumbs-up:

Edited by chaos001