What is missing from Drum Corps today

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's well documented the kids didn't recover well, and hence the drop in percussion score

It is one of the risks ( a fall ) of the high velocity drill that The Cadets are known for.

I found it almost symbolic that the Blue Devils used chairs in their show and performers took a seat at several intervals to sit and play. It was if they were saying.." lets take a break from all this running around, and sit a bit ".... and perform. Maybe this was not the intent... but it WAS the result. And who knows, maybe the Blue Devils are just ahead of the curve here a bit here on " the Next Big Thing " in DCI unit show design and visuals. 2010 will probably tell us if it's a trend or just a 1 year anomaly.

Edited by BRASSO

Go watch a video of the 89 season. EVERY show was good. EVERY show was DRUM CORPS.

What we have now is literally only 1 step away from band.

What we had 20 years ago is whats missing today... an Identity.

You picked one of the ALL TIME great years of drum corps...and still, good luck getting everyone to agree that every show is good. Hell, the fact that you made that statement at all shows you have no idea how this site works. Trying to get people on DCP to agree on a blanket statement??....ahahaaaaaaa....good luck

It is one of the risks ( a fall ) of the high velocity drill that The Cadets are known for.

I found it almost symbolic that the Blue Devils used chairs in their show and performers took a seat at several intervals to sit and play. It was if they were saying.." lets take a break from all this running around, and sit a bit ".... and perform. Maybe this was not the intent... but it WAS the result. And who knows, maybe the Blue Devils are just ahead of the curve here a bit here on " the Next Big Thing " in DCI unit show design and visuals. 2010 will probably tell us if it's a trend or just a 1 year anomaly.

well, to their credit, they did a lot of body stuff while on the chairs. granted, many didn't think the music was all that melodic...

I am actually predicting that this will be the case.

The 70's and 80's..... were the MUSICAL age.

1990's - 2000+.....is the VISUAL age.

I envision they'll be more balance in future years, where the MUSIC is more balanced with the VISUAL.

It is hard to encompass running and high velocity drills, etc once we have ( for example) multiple electric guitars and other instrumentation not conducive to such high velocity drill on the part of performers on the field. Guitars will definately slow the visuals pace down it would seem to me, andwill allow more diversity for certain in the musical sound as well as musical offerings in the future on the part of these units.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the cycle comes around again.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the cycle comes around again.

And I'm hoping someone passes a rule this year on how many people can actually be IN the pit. 10 or 12 seems like enough. Maybe 15 max. if they keep adding instruments it won't be long before there are 20 or 25 people in that box ............. pointless.

And I'm hoping someone passes a rule this year on how many people can actually be IN the pit. 10 or 12 seems like enough. Maybe 15 max. if they keep adding instruments it won't be long before there are 20 or 25 people in that box ............. pointless.

where are you gonna put the mic for the 12 person small ensembles? you can't leave it in the field, so if you put a max on the number allowed in the pit, you will have to include those 12.