Carolina Crown Performing Arts Training Center

Lolz, maybe it's b/c my pockets are empty, but I think it'd be cool if they decided to use the Mil to cut all of the member's tour fees to $0 for a season.

That's a nice idea, but I think they are leaning towards something that can continue to give for years to come... as opposed to just one or two marching seasons.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to go watch the video. Crown's organization has an enormous LOCAL impact on all kinds of music and music education related students in their home region. Crown is thinking beyond drum corps, and I think that's fantastic. Why should they give money to groups outside their region to start a group that may or may not succeed when they can use it to do amazing things at home?

The already do so much for the schools in the area, imagine what they could do with this new facility? Drum corps, rehearsal space for bands, choirs, orchestras, indoor groups, clinics, festivals, camps...the possibilities are endless.

Frankly, it's exactly what a lot of us have dreamed of doing if we ever hit the lottery.

What John said.

Fran

I'm a crown HONK .. and am against the proposed usage of funds. While I think any drum corps is worthy of such a huge amount of money ... I do not think it should be thrown away just because they have it. There should be a ton more thought put into this venture. A TON!

If you knew the people involved, you would realize that a metric ton of thought and planning has gone into this. It's certainly not a whim of any kind.

I'm a crown HONK .. and am against the proposed usage of funds. While I think any drum corps is worthy of such a huge amount of money ... I do not think it should be thrown away just because they have it. There should be a ton more thought put into this venture. A TON!

Yeah, what a dumb idea. I bet they just submitted the first idea that popped into their head. Obviously, they would only let the proposed facility be used by the drum corps and then lock it up when the corps isn't rehearsing. There is no possible way that this facility could help anyone besides Crown. Heck, it will probably just be used to store old plums during the summer and then forgotten about by the time the next year rolls around. What a waste.

[/sarcasm]

You're missing the point. Its not just for the drum corps. It provides anyone within like a 50 mile radius the ability to house for really cheap, eat for cheap, and rehearse for extremely cheap. AND, it provides rehearsal and instruction areas for Crown to provide for the many clinics it hosts throughout the year, and thats not just drum corps related. Crown does several concert band and other such clinics.

I am not, I just happen to have an opposing opinion on the issue to yours...

Who needs to stay there within a 50 mile radius other than crown? The clinics and whatnot I can buy, but I still think they could do more for the world or activity than building the next star hall in Ft. Mills

I think they've made a pretty intelligent choice. The facility will provide a venue which Crown can utilize on demand to provide services to the community. Additionally they're creating infrastructure which not only will serve the community at large, it will go a long way towards extending the longevity of the organization. Crown can hardly give back if they aren't around to do it.

I am not, I just happen to have an opposing opinion on the issue to yours...

Who needs to stay there within a 50 mile radius other than crown? The clinics and whatnot I can buy, but I still think they could do more for the world or activity than building the next star hall in Ft. Mills

Before my eyes bleed anymore, it's Fort Mill... not Ft. and not Mills.

Besides that, I think what they plan on doing with the money is a WONDERFUL idea. The video they made is amazing too. Can't wait for the voting to start.

Yeah, what a dumb idea. I bet they just submitted the first idea that popped into their head. Obviously, they would only let the proposed facility be used by the drum corps and then lock it up when the corps isn't rehearsing. There is no possible way that this facility could help anyone besides Crown. Heck, it will probably just be used to store old plums during the summer and then forgotten about by the time the next year rolls around. What a waste.

[/sarcasm]

Just to let you know crown doesn't have many old plums to store. The members keep the plums, inserts (the grass), and the crown mirrors when the seasons over. And a facility like this to have spring training at would be way better than Gardner Webb University.

Wouldn't a better idea be to seed some new corps ... help out those corps in financial duress ..... and maybe even start a feeder corps for the local communities children to get involved? Hey .... send some money to local school districts arts programs .. be TRUE Ambassadors.

My 2c

I agree, and I am a huge Crown fan and work with a number of high school groups in the Charlotte, NC area (well within that 50 mile radius) whenever I get the chance. I guess I don't see a benefit to the groups in the area that actually NEED help (not want, or would appreciate, but NEED) that is proportional to the amount of money that would be spent. The groups in the area that are in dire need of funds are not going to be travelling much (even within 50 miles) and are not going to spend ANYTHING on housing or rehearsal areas. They will use what can be had for free. I'm apeaking mostly of school groups, not drum corps or the like, but isn't that where this activity begins, for the most part? There are very few corps members who didn't get their start in school music programs. The programs that need help DO NOT travel, DO NOT pay a staff, and, in my opinion, WOULD NOT benefit from a facility like this. They need money in their own coffers for things like instruments, repairs, and if they do make it to a couple of local events, registration fees and bus travel. After teaching for a year in a school that was in this situation, I see this idea as well-intentioned, but tragically flawed if the ideal end game is to be an attempt at community arts outreach.