Carolina Crown Performing Arts Training Center

VOTING STARTS ON FRIDAY.... pledge your vote here: http://www.carolinacrown.org/web/index.php...m&formId=10

and we will send you an email with the links and great tips on how to get others involved in this cause for all 4 corps.

4corpsvote.jpg

Edited by njthundrrd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Glassmen alum, and having the experience of marching with a corps that owns their own "training center", I think this is a great idea. The Glassmen's purchase of G-West in the 80's was probably one of the best decisions they ever made! If only more corps could have the luxury of their own rehearsal venue that the Glassmen have!

I completely support Crown's proposal and hope they are able to achieve this goal.

Well, I clearly misread the subtitle of this thread. I actually thought it said "what do you think?" and I was responding to that. I should have known better.

A couple points:

First, I obviously don't advocate the idea that Crown or anyone else should be responsible for any other corps debt, expenses, etc. Please....

I WAS, in fact, simply noting the disparity between two drum corps with entirely different financial situations. (But I WOULD note that during Star's heyday, Bill Cook was sensitive to the haves and havenots in our activity and did, in fact, on several occasions help out smaller corps with instruments, equipment etc. through the Cook Group.)

Second, I think it says alot about some people here when they jump down someone's throat in this manner. I know some (not all) Crown folks feel indestructible these days, both competitively and financially, and well, good for them. But one thing is certain, drum corps as organizations are cyclical. Enjoy it while it lasts. Such hubris.

Well, I clearly misread the subtitle of this thread. I actually thought it said "what do you think?" and I was responding to that. I should have known better.

A couple points:

First, I obviously don't advocate the idea that Crown or anyone else should be responsible for any other corps debt, expenses, etc. Please....

I WAS, in fact, simply noting the disparity between two drum corps with entirely different financial situations. (But I WOULD note that during Star's heyday, Bill Cook was sensitive to the haves and havenots in our activity and did, in fact, on several occasions help out smaller corps with instruments, equipment etc. through the Cook Group.)

Second, I think it says alot about some people here when they jump down someone's throat in this manner. I know some (not all) Crown folks feel indestructible these days, both competitively and financially, and well, good for them. But one thing is certain, drum corps as organizations are cyclical. Enjoy it while it lasts. Such hubris.

So, in response to people who weren't pleased with what you said, you decided to suggest that Crown people are just arrogant and that the drum corps will fold eventually anyways. Thats quite nice of you.

I know some (not all) Crown folks feel indestructible these days, both competitively and financially

That is clearly not the case.

If anything, we work harder to avoid that misconception.

Keep it positive folks!

I know some (not all) Crown folks feel indestructible these days, both competitively and financially, and well, good for them. But one thing is certain, drum corps as organizations are cyclical. Enjoy it while it lasts. Such hubris.

I think this very clearly exposes how Craiga really feels.

FWIW I haven't met a single person (member, admin, or staff) who feels "indestructible" either competitively or financially. In fact most everyone seems very much aware of just the opposite state of affairs.

Pretty sad when instead of celebrating the recent success of Crown (how long had it been since there was a newcomer in the top 2? ) some folks are anxiously awaiting their failure.

I think this very clearly exposes how Craiga really feels.

FWIW I haven't met a single person (member, admin, or staff) who feels "indestructible" either competitively or financially. In fact most everyone seems very much aware of just the opposite state of affairs.

Pretty sad when instead of celebrating the recent success of Crown (how long had it been since there was a newcomer in the top 2? ) some folks are anxiously awaiting their failure.

For real, on both sides of the coin. Competitively, Crown is very aware that they still haven't WON yet. They're good, yeah, but they also know that it takes a lot more to win your first championship. They're far from counting their chickens.

And financially, every corps has troubles. Crown started out as tiny little drum corps and slowly built itself up to where it is now. If anybody knows what its like to not have money, its Crown.

What's more lasting and meaningful than a permanent facility dedicated to the arts?

Nothing? Is that the answer we're going for? No alternative except the ultimate solution - the perfect performing arts center?

I questioned the potential return on investment for something so expensive and fixed. At the same time I suggested using the money for incremental expenses isn't appropriate. If that makes me a counter-revolutionary and a hooligan, then guilty as charged.

Really? That's your nit-pic? A great uplifting piece of music that fits perfectly with the video's message should be discounted because several other drum corps have played it? What you're saying is that you want the money given to other corps, but they can't use a piece that another corps adapted for a show ten years ago for PR purposes?

If they'd kicked a puppy in the video, half of DCP would complain not about animal abuse, but that they kicked the wrong breed of dog.

No. 1 - I specifically said buying peanut butter for other corps would be wasting an opportunity. (My actual verb referred to urination.)

No. 2 - There are so many great pieces from which to choose, why choose one that we identify with another corps.

No. 3 - Just an observation. No puppies kicked. No one but me - the hooligan - abused.

HH

I think a new hall would be great for Crown but I’m not buying how it would help out the area. The area is changing there already too due to a recent influx of some tech business

Plus – I don’t really like that area so I don’t care about helping it and save it – I was born in North Carolina and I’m glad to have left – (yes, I did just trash an entire state but in broad general terms so its OK)

A couple points:

There's been plenty of fantastic sharing going on since then between corps since (and before) Star's time, too.

The corps that my nephew is trying to march this year might not even be able to field a corps. Does that also make Crown's choice of money they might possibly get extra wrong, too?

Since the Blue Devils are financially sound enough to field a corps and my nephew's corps might not be able to actually go on tour, would it make sense to "note the disparity between two drum corps with entirely different financial situations" regarding them?

There's no "simply" about what you implied and where you chose to state it.