News From DCI Winter Meetings

That’s a good point, kids today are softer, weaker and slower to develop…they now say adolescences can extend to age 30. Kids live at home longer too, take longer to complete school, find a career, get married, grow up and do adult things…you see it in corps too, the treatment of the kids is so much cushier than back in the day and their sense of entitlement, their lack of being able to endure, roll with the punches…

Tell that to my under-30 son who is serving in the US Navy...was deployed to Iraq...provided tsunami aid while en route..and tonight at midnight has his first shift as a surgical tech in an operating room on the USNS Comfort currently docked in Haiti....he flew all day yesterday and today to get to the ship..and is a newlywed as of this past October.

Tell that to my under-25 daughter who graduated from college a semester EARLY by taking summer classes...while working three summer jobs. Who worked three jobs simultaneously since college, saving over 20K in less than two years...and is now going to school to get her teaching license.

They are not exceptions..they are examples of young people all over the country who work VERY hard.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to my under-30 son who is serving in the US Navy...was deployed to Iraq...provided tsunami aid while en route..and tonight at midnight has his first shift as a surgical tech in an operating room on the USNS Comfort currently docked in Haiti....he flew all day yesterday and today to get to the ship..and is a newlywed as of this past October.

Tell that to my under-25 daughter who graduated from college a semester EARLY by taking summer classes...while working three summer jobs. Who worked three jobs simultaneously since college, saving over 20K in less than two years...and is now going to school to get her teaching license.

They are not exceptions..they are examples of young people all over the country who work VERY hard.

:inlove:

Congrats to you for raising them!

And lets not forget the thousands of kids that work hard all summer long in a certain activity I might know.

...or they could just get rid of the stupid things.

The simplest solution is often the best solution.

and seeing that I often interview, hire and train "kids "(23 year old recent graduates)….I have a good take on the current generations work ethics, sense of entitlement, problem solving and skills in general which is why I try to hire folks not of their generation when possible – this current generation is really a disappointment in the business world and that’s not just my opinion - its pretty much industry wide. You know how much hand holding mid-mangement has to do now, and all the daily affirmations of praise and reward or the constant supervision or their in-ability to work alone, not on a team?

If you act in real life anything like you act on here I can understand why you don't have good results with the young people you hire and am very surprised that you have good results with anyone at all.

and seeing that I often interview, hire and train "kids "(23 year old recent graduates)….I have a good take on the current generations work ethics, sense of entitlement, problem solving and skills in general which is why I try to hire folks not of their generation when possible – this current generation is really a disappointment in the business world and that’s not just my opinion - its pretty much industry wide. You know how much hand holding mid-mangement has to do now, and all the daily affirmations of praise and reward or the constant supervision or their in-ability to work alone, not on a team?

Seems like cowtown is suffering from a bit of mad cow disease. The negativity you spread on this forum is toxic and in no right mind represents the Spirit, Tradition, and History of Drum Corps. If you even so much as call yourself a fan of this activity I would be personally ashamed. I'm sorry that you don't have any respect for my generation or for drum corps, but frankly, who needs your respect anyway.

Just a 20-year-old "kid"

If amps are going to be there, I'd like them to sound good. At the same time, since bad amping can severely detract from how a show sounds (or even looks), it only makes sense that it should be scored with its own unique set of judging criteria.

...or they could just get rid of the stupid things.

like they'd ever do that. they'll just keep changing the rules til they ( insert joke here) get it right

My official opinion regarding this thread, and it's content:

I just farted, and I believe it is entirely possible that I will fart again.

Thank you for your attention.

I prefer DeGeneration X, but that's just me...

and we got 2 words for ya.........

Don't you see what's happened, people? Young and old, old school and new school, modernist and traditionalist . . . all have been united in disdain for one outspoken drum corps fan and his hobby of making sweeping generalizations based on personal experiences. The bizarre posts about band, and now this . . . if anything, DCP needs him to post more often.

here's a question about the upstairs sound guy...

will it really fix anything?

til his voice carries thru the cell network or walkie talkie frequencies, it could be too late to get the downstairs guy to make the needed change.

if the mics are coming up hot and the corps behind them is playing soft...til technology takes over, the corps could be blasting again. And these guys are supposed to be making changes on the fly now.

so...i still see a flaw with this until you walk into the stadium and have to be careful so you dont trip over the cords going up the steps