News From DCI Winter Meetings

By the way, what was it like in the early 1980s when drum corps was fundamentally changing? What if there had been a DCP then? The way corps shows changed from 1979-1985 is a far, far bigger shift than anything that has happened since. Were people in the early 80s as frightened at the rate of change as some of us are now? Imagine if the traditionalists would have had their way then and this radical change had not happened. Think of all the epic shows (SCV 89, Star 91, Madison 95, Regiment 08) that would have never existed. :smile:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to me the actual product on the field has not changed that much since the mid-1980s and I am very happy with the way that product is. Since the switch to the build-up judging system and concurrent huge shift in show design, I don't think there has been any "fundamental" changes in drum corps for those 25 years. Therefore, I don't foresee any "fundamental" changes in the next 25. I don't think woodwinds will be allowed, and I think brass and percussion will remain the focal point of the musical aspect of the shows.

Do you really think the majority of the DCI directors want woodwinds in their corps?

" No".... I don't think the majority of DCI Directors today would favor woodwinds in their Corps.

That said, do you think the majority of the 1979 DCI Directors were in favor of synths, narration, guitars, singing, etc in 1979 ? .......and 2nd question : do you think the majority of 1979 DCI directors would have believed you back in 1979 if you told them that by 2009 Corps would be approved to have synths, narration, singing, and guitars ?

It's probably not a question of " if " with woodwinds. It's probably more like a simple question of " when ".( lets not forget, we already have woodwinds in DCI competitions ( I&E ). The notion that woodwinds won't eventually find their way onto the DCI field of competition as well really seems a bit naive to me ....but who knows. we'll see)

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, but much like the Emperor's Death Star, oldschooldbc's efforts will be bombastic, over-engineered, and vulnerable to the smallest of weapons...in this case a "logic torpedo".

" I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home"

Which then raises the question.......

If junior drum corps continues to deteriorate, in 30 years, who will populate DCA and the alumni corps?

Who will fill out the ranks of those units, once the current membership is deceased, or too old to march?

If no one develops and appreciate for drum corps, when they are in the teens and 20's, will they be willing to go out and march for a DCA or alumni unit, when they are in their 40's and beyond?

I don't have answers to these questions. I hope I never have to answer these questions. Hopefully, someone will right the ship, that we call DCI. Then the whole of drum corps - junior and senior - will not implode, in our lifetimes.

But nothing that I have seen from these winter meetings, has indicated to me that DCI is headed in a new direction. There was no sea change, that could produce dramatic improvements in this activity. Nothing.

you haven't seen DCA lately have you? more and more marching members are of DCI age every day

you haven't seen DCA lately have you? more and more marching members are of DCI age every day

DCA has become DCI " lite".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by BRASSO

" No".... I don't think the majority of DCI Directors today would favor woodwinds in their Corps.

That said, do you think the majority of the 1979 DCI Directors were in favor of synths, narration, guitars, singing, etc in 1979 ? .......and 2nd question : do you think the majority of 1979 DCI directors would have believed you back in 1979 if you told them that by 2009 Corps would be approved to have synths, narration, singing and guitars ?

It's not a question of " if " with woodwinds. It probably isn't. It's more like a simple question of " when ".

I don't know whether or not this is good thing but I would probably agree that eventually woodwinds would be allowed.

BUT I don't think we will ever have to worry about "marching" woodwinds just for simple reason that they are not loud enough on the field. There is the possibility of woodwind solos in the pit played by percussion/brass/guard members who are great at woodwinds, but I think that's the most we can get from that.

DCA has become DCI " lite".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

yes......and no. i think there is more emphasis on rocking the customers world with more than just technical #### and over developed themes

No, they don't. lol.

Neither do "I couldn't laugh at you more" and "I could laugh at you more."

But, I'm not teaching today.

They do, would you like to see the most recent papers on the subject? Syntacticians have been studying this phenomenon for years.

"More" doesn't function as an NPI, so I don't know what you are trying to do with those examples.

I+could+care+less =? I+couldn't+care+less

I+could+care+less - (I+care+less) =? I+couldn't+care+less - (I+care+less)

could =? couldn't

couldn't = could+not = -(could)

could =? -could

could/could =? -could/could

1 =? -1

1 =/= -1

could + (I+care+less) =/= couldn't + (I+care+less)

I+could+care+less =/= I+couldn't+care+less

QED

Edited by Slow Adam