News From DCI Winter Meetings

You know, if DCI becomes reduced to just 12 touring "super corps," that's quite alright. At least in the minds of those who are already considered to be a super corps. I doubt DCI was EVER about saving the entire activity, but rather was about advancing its "haves" as far as possible, while the "have nots" look on.

If today's, and tomorrow's, DCI product is no longer satisfying to you, do what I've been doing . . . stay away until it is.

:smile:

(life goes on)

I agree and have done the same. I like my brass pure and undiluted by synths, guitars, woodwinds, and whatever else.

Thank-God for DCA & the Alumni units!!!!!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and have done the same. I like my brass pure and undiluted by synths, guitars, woodwinds, and whatever else.

Which then raises the question.......

If junior drum corps continues to deteriorate, in 30 years, who will populate DCA and the alumni corps?

Who will fill out the ranks of those units, once the current membership is deceased, or too old to march?

If no one develops and appreciate for drum corps, when they are in the teens and 20's, will they be willing to go out and march for a DCA or alumni unit, when they are in their 40's and beyond?

I don't have answers to these questions. I hope I never have to answer these questions. Hopefully, someone will right the ship, that we call DCI. Then the whole of drum corps - junior and senior - will not implode, in our lifetimes.

But nothing that I have seen from these winter meetings, has indicated to me that DCI is headed in a new direction. There was no sea change, that could produce dramatic improvements in this activity. Nothing.

Which then raises the question.......

If junior drum corps continues to deteriorate, in 30 years, who will populate DCA and the alumni corps?

Who will fill out the ranks of those units, once the current membership is deceased, or too old to march?

If no one develops and appreciate for drum corps, when they are in the teens and 20's, will they be willing to go out and march for a DCA or alumni unit, when they are in their 40's and beyond?

I don't have answers to these questions. I hope I never have to answer these questions. Hopefully, someone will right the ship, that we call DCI. Then the whole of drum corps - junior and senior - will not implode, in our lifetimes.

But nothing that I have seen from these winter meetings, has indicated to me that DCI is headed in a new direction. There was no sea change, that could produce dramatic improvements in this activity. Nothing.

Pshhh...i'm marching dca :smile:

But the sound engineer rule passed. Which, of course, I find attrocious. Now struggling OC and WC corps will need to find money in their budgets for a sound engineer. Good luck. All this rule change will do, is to further the chasm between the haves and have-nots, within the activity.

How much will a professional sound engineer cost, for a summer's work? Perhaps $10,000 to $20,000? Where is a financially-strapped corps supposed to come up with this cash?

Many of these outfits were struggling to feed their members, at the end of the last tour. Now you expect them to come up with the budget, for a sound engineer, too? What are they supposed to do - cut more money out of the food budget? No peanut butter for this year's tour? Feed the kids breakfast cereal for every meal?

Food or sound engineer..... sound engineer or food..... What would you pick?

(Some senior citizens have to pick between food and medicine, because they can't afford both. Now some corps directors will face a similar choice - but regardless of which choice they make, they lose.)

I guarantee you that every corps out there is not going to spend one dime on a "sound engineer." They are going to take someone on staff (like they have been doing already) and have them balance things from up top. 90% of the time this will be one of the percussion guys on a cell phone talking to the pit tech operating the board.

IMO this is the best rule that was passed. We now (hopefully) will have the pit being balanced throughout the show to the highs and lows of the program and the acoustic differences of each stadium.

Amplification and electronics will be legal in DCA eventually. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Why does DCI actually need to head in a completely new direction? Yes there are less corps than there used to be, and overall less attendance at shows.... But the activity seems fairly stable to me. I mean, there's actually been an increase in the number of World Class corps in the past few years, and that's even with the economy being down and the limit being raised to 150 (more kids go to better corps, so the bottom may have less to choose from).

Yes, there could be improvements, but I (and many others) are generally very happy with the way it is now.

For all the bashing that DCI gets, does anyone ever suppose that maybe drum corps would hardly even exist today without DCI? You never know what could have happened.

Why does DCI actually need to head in a completely new direction? Yes there are less corps than there used to be, and overall less attendance at shows.... But the activity seems fairly stable to me. I mean, there's actually been an increase in the number of World Class corps in the past few years, and that's even with the economy being down and the limit being raised to 150 (more kids go to better corps, so the bottom may have less to choose from).

Yes, there could be improvements, but I (and many others) are generally very happy with the way it is now.

For all the bashing that DCI gets, does anyone ever suppose that maybe drum corps would hardly even exist today without DCI? You never know what could have happened.

I'm sorry, sir. You'll need to go. If you leave quietly, we can avoid a scene.

:smile:

If people are " very happy with the way it is now" ( which is fine ), keep in mind that in 10, 20, 30 years, DCI will bear no resemblance at all to what makes you " very happy with the way it is now ".( if DCI history teaches us anything at all)

Edited by BRASSO

They actually do mean the same thing semantically, since the nature of "less" being associated with a negative polarity item leads to covert negation of the modal.

caring.png

If people are " very happy with the way it is now" ( which is fine ), keep in mind that in 10, 20, 30 years, DCI will bear no resemblance at all to what makes you " very happy with the way it is now ".( if DCI history teaches us anything at all)

Well, to me the actual product on the field has not changed that much since the mid-1980s and I am very happy with the way that product is. Since the switch to the build-up judging system and concurrent huge shift in show design, I don't think there has been any "fundamental" changes in drum corps for those 25 years. Therefore, I don't foresee any "fundamental" changes in the next 25. I don't think woodwinds will be allowed, and I think brass and percussion will remain the focal point of the musical aspect of the shows.

Do you really think the majority of the DCI directors want woodwinds in their corps?