News From DCI Winter Meetings

You know, if DCI becomes reduced to just 12 touring "super corps," that's quite alright. At least in the minds of those who are already considered to be a super corps. I doubt DCI was EVER about saving the entire activity, but rather was about advancing its "haves" as far as possible, while the "have nots" look on.

If today's, and tomorrow's, DCI product is no longer satisfying to you, do what I've been doing . . . stay away until it is.

:laughing:

(life goes on)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or.........

We can ban electronics in drum corps, as I have previously advocated. Then we won't need sound engineers, period. Then their training and expense would become irrelevant. Then contests will be won by the performers on the field, not the sound engineer in the box. And vis staffers can concentrate on what they should be doing - teaching the kids how to march.

Except that isn't going to happen. I know it, you know it. Everyone knows it. If you want drum corps with no electronics, I suggest you go to the DCA Alumni show. Drum corps, like other sports and arts activites must evolve to survive.

If the performers in this activity were playing instruments that need amplification - such as electric guitars - then I could see the need for a sound engineer. But these musicians are plaing brass and percussion instruments, that do not need amplication. In that case, a sound engineer should be extraneous.

Uh, there are instruments that need amplification, such as guitars, in drum corps.

If today's, and tomorrow's, DCI product is no longer satisfying to you, do what I've been doing . . . stay away until it is.

:smile:

(life goes on)

Well, that is one attitude. Yes, there is part of my that simply wants to walk away. Quite frankly, part of me wants to take that route. My life would be a lot simpler.

But I love this activity too much, to simply walk away, and watch it deteriorate even further. And is what I see happening, so long as it is dominated by greed, politics, and callous self-interest.

Or......... I can continue this struggle, no matter how helpless or futile it may seem. This effort may very well fail. I accept that reality.

I can sympathize with Dian Fossey, the American naturalist who struggled to save the mountain gorillas of Rwanda. Her crusade made no sense to anyone, but to her. At times, this effort seemed like an obsession. She risked her life animals on the other side of the planet, many of whom were hostile to her. She was ulitmately killed for efforts, likely by the poachers who she opposed.

Man, I hope it doesn't come to that.

I can sympathize with Dian Fossey, the American naturalist who struggled to save the mountain gorillas of Rwanda. Her crusade made no sense to anyone, but to her. At times, this effort seemed like an obsession. She risked her life animals on the other side of the planet, many of whom were hostile to her. She was ulitmately killed for efforts, likely by the poachers who she opposed.

Man, I hope it doesn't come to that.

Wow, saying that is epically self-righteous.

Wow, saying that is epically self-righteous.

I freely admit to having a martyr complex.

I thought I would compare my struggles, to those of St. Thomas More, in his confrontation with Henry VIII. But I thought that would be over-the-top.

I thought I would compare my struggles, to those of St. Thomas More, in his confrontation with Henry VIII. But I thought that would be over-the-top.

And you do love your comparisons....how about a movie one, I always love those :smile::smile::smile:

If you want to compare yourself to More, make sure you include analogies to his burning heretics at the stake while Lord Chancellor.

And you do love your comparisons....how about a movie one, I always love those :smile::smile::smile:

I plan to someday film a sequel to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, entitled "OldschoolDBC Goes to LOS."

I plan to someday film a sequel to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, entitled "OldschoolDBC Goes to LOS."

So you will stand on the colts helmet for about 26 hours reciting the constitution until dan acheson, comes out and admits he was wrong all this time???

Like it :smile:

If you want to compare yourself to More, make sure you include analogies to his burning heretics at the stake while Lord Chancellor.

Well, I won't be burning any heretics at the stake.

But I would like to have a giant bonfire in front of LOS.....Take all the electronics, into the pavillion in front of the north entrance, and have a giant barbeque.