Thinning the DCA Talent Pool...

And then there are the guys like me. We're called "permenantly single" in the dating world.... :lol:

Now THIS is an interesting twist.... and it's YOUR fault Liz... you had to bring up a "Dating term"....

well... call me: "Jaded". LOL!! I just don't care anymore. :tongue:

And DCI will do whatever they decide to "vote in" (or out)....

Meantime..... DCA is growing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go for a trade.....

DCI raises the age limit to whatever....

DCI allows California All-Age corps to recruit whoever they want regardless of age. (Understand there is an agreement that Cali All-Agers leave the minors alone).

This is kind of out the window now. We have had much younger members the past couple years and this seems to be continuing. The younger members have a great time so the next year, they bring a friend...and so on.... This past marching band season, we had recruiting booths at a handfull of band competitions too.

I always thought it paid us a compliment that the DCi corps directors were worried that we would take away from their membership pool.

On the original topic though, I don't think upping the age will have a huge impact on DCA membership, but I do not think the age limit should be raised. Not to say that at age 21 "you should get on with your life", heck many people still have 2 or 3 years to go in college at that point. It is more a separation of youth and adult. Of course that argument depends on when you consider someone to be an adult and no longer a youth. For me, 21 is really the last age when you are granted the last of the privleges a person will get in life, and that is when I feel the separation of youth and adult happens.

This is kind of out the window now. We have had much younger members the past couple years and this seems to be continuing. The younger members have a great time so the next year, they bring a friend...and so on.... This past marching band season, we had recruiting booths at a handfull of band competitions too.

Very cool.... My background is there were a few Senior corps in the area but no Juniors unless you wanted to drive to Philly area or take a scarey trip over the mountains. :tongue: In 1974 the corps restarted and the HS and college agers were about half the entire corps. In fact our Alumni corps just picked up a few drummers who look HS or college age. Corps did a standstill at a local HS band show in Octobet and not sure if that's how these young folks found us. :lol:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'll go for a trade.....

DCI raises the age limit to whatever....

DCI allows California All-Age corps to recruit whoever they want regardless of age. (Understand there is an agreement that Cali All-Agers leave the minors alone).

Since when has DCI had any say on who the DCA corps can or can't recruit? Is this a West Coast thing? It has never stopped anyone over here on the East Coast. Is it a DCI thing or a Devils, SCV thing?

Yeah I dont get it either...many kids start out in DCA BEFORE even trying out for DCI...they do one or two years MAX before they either come back to DCA or retire and go on with their life.

If they pass this, it will affect no DCA corps.

Donny

Yeah I dont get it either...many kids start out in DCA BEFORE even trying out for DCI...they do one or two years MAX before they either come back to DCA or retire and go on with their life.

If they pass this, it will affect no DCA corps.

Donny

:tongue:

[but Donny's not stupid]

For so many people [not accusing the original poster of this], Hopkins is such a Boogeyman that anything he proposes must be bad for the activity and must be worthy of indignation. IMHO, this ain't one of them. Would anyone have noticed or commented if someone other than Hopkins presented the proposal?

It was definately a west coast thing. It was not an official rule, but more of a gentlemen's agreement that they felt was necessary. Now that time has passed, they realized it makes little to no difference in their recruiting efforts if we get younger members.

If someone wants to march a DCi corps, they are going to do it. If not, for what ever reason, they are not goin to. If it is because of money or time commitment, then we may be their drum corps option.

:tongue:

[but Donny's not stupid]

For so many people [not accusing the original poster of this], Hopkins is such a Boogeyman that anything he proposes must be bad for the activity and must be worthy of indignation. IMHO, this ain't one of them. Would anyone have noticed or commented if someone other than Hopkins presented the proposal?

well the proposal from Phantom about the sound guy thing has gotten discussion, good and bad in the dci forums

This seems to be just another example of the elitism that is becoming DCI. I remember last year watching the interviews at the movie theatre for the DCI finals broadcast. Several high school kids said that they hope to someday tryout to make a drum corps when they get into college. Nice job DCI.....you successfully alienated thousands of high school kids that would have 10-15-20 years ago joined the activity.

Hmmmm, on second thought keep up the good work. DCA is growing and is still a very inclusive activity for "all-ages". The biggest concern to our activity would be if Hopkins actually gave serious effort to penetrate and destroy DCA as he has been doing to DCI for years.

Greg Wiese

It was going to happen. As the years progressed, corps were going to get better, so they could be more selective in who auditions.

It's just like college. It can start of accepting most people, but as it gets better, it can accept fewer and fewer based on the increase of applications.

Edited by Kyle B