1987 Garfield or SCV 2009?

1987 Garfield or 2009 SCV?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you love the most?

• Garfield Cadets 1987
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

I watched both shows again and I was just wondering which show most of us prefer the most....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say SCV 09.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Cadets, and can say that today I also love the 87 show. But, back then, SCV'S loss to Garfield that night was terribly traumatic for me even though I was only in the "B" corps.

More to the point, it's been a while since an SCV show has touched me like old times. SCV 2009 was as much a return to the roots as it was a well designed and moving show. Either way, both shows were magical.

Hmmm... Which shall I pick... Hmmmmmmmm...

Cadets 87 to me is a classic.

SCV 09 never really did anything for me. Maybe because I had seen it before.... Who knows...if SCV had come first, the roles might have been switched, but I never got into that show at all...(well except for the 9 minute mark) :-P

It's totes SCV 2009 for me. I remember going to Allentown with one of my mates and when the E-flat trumpet duet in the beginning was pulled off perfectly, looking at each other and being like "ahh that was awesome!" It was a highlight of the A-town trip for both of us.

Also, when I saw Quarters in the theater I was totally captivated by their performance, I'd have to say it was the closest to a "transcendent" performance that I saw that night.

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about SCV was the bass synth in the loud company front, though it was much better in the theater than in person. It's a pity, too, because the synth was used so well in the rest of the show with the piano chords on downbeats, etc.

Interesting that some people feel like the loud company front was the highlight of the show, whereas I feel like everything else was (and not just because of the synth issue).

Garfield '87 is alright but the arrangements are too drum corps-ified.

To me and being one that saw both live there is no contest with 1987 Garfield being by far the best.

I was very excited to see SCV 2009 with the hype I had heard and then I saw it and was like... "is that it??"

I was able to see it again and still had the same feeling and put it to a couple of other Drum Corps friends that it is "'87 Cadets without the meat".

I mean it as not a negative to SCV 2009 it was just a tall order to bite that show off to put on the field with '87 Cadets setting the standard. SCV 2009 came out much better in my opinion when compared to other 2009 shows.

Interesting that some people feel like the loud company front was the highlight of the show, whereas I feel like everything else was (and not just because of the synth issue).

Garfield '87 is alright but the arrangements are too drum corps-ified.

I agree 100%. SCV 09 was more pure to the original (within reason, duh). I was watching a symphony orchestra in motion, with all its subtleties. The arrangements were amazing, brass and percussion. I wish they only used the Synth on the company front, an octave below the tubas. Now THAT would be cool.

PS: We need a way to vote so that we can see who actually heard both shows live, lol.

1) I heard both shows live, and I choose X/Y

2) I heard X Live, Y on recording, and I choose X/Y

3) I heard Y live, X on recording, and I choose X/Y

4) I didn't hear either live, but I choose X/Y

Edited by Bruckner8

As most pointed out - both shows are classic and I'd have to give the edge to SCV but mostly because between the two that was the only one I saw live. To me one of the best shows for '09 as CC didn't do much for me but thought SCV, BD and Garfield brought new energy to drum corps but that's my two cents.

:tongue:

Edited by amadorj

Percussionist.

So the perfect drum show at Finals does it for me. And plus SCV's show was good, but hearing Cadets WIN with that show as apposed to SCV placing 5th? when BD sat in chairs.....it's Cadets 87 all the way