1. 1. Which do you love the most?

• Garfield Cadets 1987
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how SCV's version is considered more true to the original if it was a simplified version of Appalachian Spring. Garfield's had all of the original parts from Appalachian Spring (yes with some extras). A good example is in SCV 09 the pit plays the runs, in Garfield's show, the brass plays the runs on the move... It seems obvious.

oy vey, I love em both.

however 87 gets the edge. no electronics, and yet again as the Cadets did in the 80's, they changed the game

Edited by Jeff Ream

Apples and Oranges, two decades apart~

No way can you place these shows side by side...

Garfield Cadets had never explored technical dance or movement. They wouldn't get a start till 1990. Garfield pulled out rifles after a five year hiatus. They completed two counts of 16 and mustered up a "single flip" (COOL, I still loved them, but can't give them credit outside effect). I sat with George Z a number of times and talked about his show. It holds a special place in my DC memories.

SCV produced a tribute to a Master Dancer and their guard was superb. But SCV also had a huge advantage of a new era where their kids could dance like pro's and toss perfect sevens. The music and drums were just magic~ As much as I love 2009 SCV, I didn't see a championship show. This is still a favorite SCV for me.

Garfield was on the wave of a new design to sell a total production. Music arrangement for Cadets was oh so sweet.......

SCV moved their horns off the field the same way Cadets did 20 years prior.

Taking all aspects of both shows into account. (Drill, guard, horns, arrangements and concept)

Garfield's championship show was a bigger deal for the activity.

SCV was awesome no matter what!

It's a TIE

SIDE NOTE: SCV wins all the Red Pony Productions ever done!!!! (yes over crown too).

Edited by Cop

both awesome, but 87

those brass runs just seal the deal, that was awesome.

Just for the record, despite all the props to Garfield for the horn runs in 87 they didn't win brass by themselves; they tied with Santa Clara which had high field brass that night.

I don't understand how SCV's version is considered more true to the original if it was a simplified version of Appalachian Spring. Garfield's had all of the original parts from Appalachian Spring (yes with some extras). A good example is in SCV 09 the pit plays the runs, in Garfield's show, the brass plays the runs on the move... It seems obvious.

You would have to listen to the original 13- instrument version that is the original ballet score. The serenity and lightness of SCV's production has a whole different atmosphere than Garfield's.

I am going to say which corp did a better rendition, but we should certain agree on which show is more true to the original vision of Copland. It all depends on whether one cares much about adhering to the original composition. I know many Cadets and SCV fans were disappointed at SCV's running parts in the pit. But I am glad that's the decision design team made at the end.

ps: there is a giant threat on this exact topic a few months back.

Edited by watersling