Rules Changes, Day 2

The pit does not need more time to setup, if you practice getting on the field, and have a proper system, you can do it in two minutes or less. I've seen it done.

Where I think the rule needs to be changed is the overlap when a pit is getting out of the box, and a pit is getting in the box. We always dreaded going after a certain group because they took their (and OUR) sweet time getting out of the box.

The judging aspect is too vague. GE judges will "view" the pre-show but not "evaluate" it. What is that? Judges are supposed to consider what you're doing but you don't get points for it? The fact that GE judges will have less time to finish their evaluation of the previous corps than they do now, and that other captions will have more time than GE creates problems. Sounds fishy to me.

As a viewer, I personally prefer the "The judges are ready - drum major salute" approach. I often don't pay attention to the pre-show and I like to be told "Hey, it's starting now."

lets be honest here people - the GE judges already 'view' the preshow, if there is one. Do you really think during 2009 crown, which is one of the better preshows ever, that the GE judge was sitting in the box with his eyes closed going LALALALALALA CANT HEAR YOU LALLALALALA?? No, of course not. While they may not actually judge the execution of it, it absolutely has an effect on the.....um effect of the show, and to think otherwise is naive. That may be the only intelligent part of this proposal....the rest pretty much sucks still :tongue:

Do you feel like that reinforcement, if it occurs, makes it easier to move "anything goes" into the judged portion? Is there support for that sort of thing at the instructors caucus level?

For the first question, I'm torn. The optimist in me says, "No, further proposals would be reviewed on their own merit", but I think we can all agree that's probably not the truth.

As to the second question, clearly I can't speak for all instructors. It's my personal belief that there are very, very few instructors that would support adding woodwinds as legal instruments. The current rules allow synth patches to produce woodwind-like voices, and that's probably enough. I think the same is probably true for stringed instruments (acoustic, not electronic, which are already legal). Truthfully, I'd like to see the use of guitars of all types legalized and codified, because we could do some really interesting things with amplified acoustic and classical guitars that you just can't do with electric guitars or synthesizers, but that's a minor quibble.

As for non-instrumental "anything goes", I really can't say. I can think of a couple of things off the top of my head that are currently illegal now, but could be amazing if used correctly and effectively, but I'm not sure it's worth creating an "anything goes" rule to allow them in the competitive portion of the program. Currently, you can pretty much do anything you want as it is with a few exceptions.

well i can assume that all corps are doing preshows for 2010. after seeing what was accomplished by crown in 09. OMG I LOVED IT.

i think that hoppy is making a back door to have woodwinds legalized with in 2 years. i dont agree with the woodwinds being allowed to march.

but i do think that if you have from 3:01 - 5:59 to do anything you want to do to make an impression and flow right into the show i say go for it. the more drum corps the better.

and to the poster who said something about cleaning and perfecting a preshow when it wasnt judged... look at crown 09. might have well said their entire show was almost 15 mins long. i say it worked out awesomely for them. they got their highest ever ranking with it. i know the rule now that they cant be judged during preshow. but i am sure that once they got the judged portion underway the judges were already drooling...

This could turn into another budget battle

corps A does a circus show and brings out tigers for the pre-show, huge GE points

corps B comes on, no pre-show they get a big 0 in GE for their first 3 minutes

Corps C comes out with tiger puppets because they can’t afford real tigers, it looks lame in comparison to corps A, their first 3 minutes puts their GE in a hole

The pit does not need more time to setup, if you practice getting on the field, and have a proper system, you can do it in two minutes or less. I've seen it done.

Where I think the rule needs to be changed is the overlap when a pit is getting out of the box, and a pit is getting in the box. We always dreaded going after a certain group because they took their (and OUR) sweet time getting out of the box.

I disagree with your first sentence paragraph, but agree with your second, so I think I actually do agree with you. On a perfect day, when either the corps before us got off the field super fast or we went on after an intermission (heaven!), we never had any trouble getting set up in plenty of time before our parts began. However, there were other shows when I lost years of my life in the stress of trying to make sure that everything was set up and working in time. On at least one occasion, I'm pretty sure I heard that some higher-up running the show recognized that the group before us took too long and assured us that we wouldn't be penalized for going over our time limit because of the setup delay. However, I certainly wouldn't want to rely on that kind of special case, and there were plenty of shows where it wasn't that extreme, but it still wasn't easy to get all set in time.

I think Hopkins's proposal certainly does look like a slippery-slope/backdoor way of getting woodwinds in, or whatever other changes he wants to push, but I'm all for an extra minute for setup time. Either that, or some way to make sure that the previous corps' pit and guard are 100% off the field before the next corps comes in. I feel like the latter could be realized more easily and without raising any concerns about judging, etc, that come with extending show times.