Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

Saw my first live DCI show there in June, 1991 (televised DCI finals prior to that). Saw quite a few after that, including one in August 2000 that I'll never forget and almost made me walk away for good. Never saw a DCA show there ~ never even got to see a DCA corps on the field there tho I heard jokes about a few guards practicing there from the moment I joined in '91 :worthy: :worthy: . Taught a few groups that competed with USSBA there over the years and performed for my first and only time there this past August with The Bridgemen. Tried to linger at the end of the night and look at the field and remember ~ I could hear it all in the distance and in my mind the place was filled with ghosts. If I could paint it I would.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dream, imitated but never duplicated. On the field or in the stands.

Or even outside the stadium in the parking lot. The hot-dog trucks dishing out those dogs with "the works."

Nothing quite like knocking down a hot dog (or two) with the works before going out and performing a show on a 95-degree Sunday afternoon! :w00t:

Fran

Tried to linger at the end of the night and look at the field and remember ~ I could hear it all in the distance and in my mind the place was filled with ghosts. If I could paint it I would.

Liz, I had a moment kinda like that at the end of that show.... before Barbara and I left the field and headed to our car, I stopped for a minute, looked around, and thought back to marching in the first drum corps show held there, and then to having the opportunity to announce the final show there.... with lots of drum corps (and band-show) memories in between.

It was a good night.

Fran

Legal/Fran

But to me. As great as it was to be "in" shows at places like Giants Stadium, Shea Stadium, RFK Stadium. Yes, I did. But that was different. A Big time location, Yes they were. But, Just that. A "Location" for the show. I also got the Oppertunity to do Carnigie Hall, Madison Square Garden, and. Old Yankee Stadium, in New York City. All also have Great memories.

How ever the "Dream" at Roosevelt Stadium, was special to "Drum and Bugle Corps" in a way un-matched anywhere at all.

Funny the things you remember.

Like Scout House. Their unique Sight and Sound. To this day when I see them I alway's also think of the "Dream" and Roosevelt Stadium.

Like the year the CT. Hurricanes were about to start their show and a Big Lighting Bolt came down out of the sky on the horizon of the city.

Like the year a girl from St. Kevin's sat in an empty seat next to me and a I melted into a pool of stupidity. Da Ah Da ah da ....... (years before I would ever get to march in a "Dream")

ETC,ETC

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Haha,

Man, that was one of the roughest shows that I've been a part of.

My high school football team made finals in 2008 and the venue was Giants Stadium! Cool!

Well, maybe too 'cool'.

It was snowing that day. The football teams still played and the band director gave us the 'OK' to perform at half time.

In ways, I was excited; In ways, I was upset.

I was in a marching band that performed in a very prestigious place!

I played a King Euph.

Ouch.

That weather threw my horn into something close to the key of A; that is, when my valves weren't frozen.

Marching on that slippery field felt like marching on a freshly waxed wooden floor.

Nobody fell that day (surprisingly).

We finished, people clapped, the WW players couldn't move their fingers very well, and we had hot chocolate.

Character was built that day.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Slides of Mass Destruction

Legal/Fran

But to me. As great as it was to be "in" shows at places like Giants Stadium, Shea Stadium, RFK Stadium. Yes, I did. But that was different. A Big time location, Yes they were. But, Just that. A "Location" for the show. I also got the Oppertunity to do Carnigie Hall, Madison Square Garden, and. Old Yankee Stadium, in New York City. All also have Great memories.

How ever the "Dream" at Roosevelt Stadium, was special to "Drum and Bugle Corps" in a way un-matched anywhere at all.

I agree.... the Dream lived on for a few more years after its final year at Rooseelt Stadium (1980).... but was never quite the same.

I came relatively late to the "Dream party" at Roosevelt Stadium as a fan and marching member.... seeing my first one in 1971 (with an unforgettable performance from the Skyliners topping my memory list from that day) and marching my first one in 1977. But I'm glad to have been there. The Dream was quite possibly the most unique annual drum corps event in history.

Fran

Legal/Fran

Funny the things you remember.

Like Scout House. Their unique Sight and Sound. To this day when I see them I alway's also think of the "Dream" and Roosevelt Stadium.

Like the year the CT. Hurricanes were about to start their show and a Big Lighting Bolt came down out of the sky on the horizon of the city.

Like the year a girl from St. Kevin's sat in an empty seat next to me and a I melted into a pool of stupidity. Da Ah Da ah da ....... (years before I would ever get to march in a "Dream")

ETC,ETC

I'm not saying there haven't been other great shows at great locations ~ never was to any of the other ones you listed though.

I'm not saying there haven't been other great shows at great locations ~ never was to any of the other ones you listed though.

That's ok Liz... we appreciate your support always and you have old farts like me to tell you all about it...

Here's a war story just for you...

When I was maturing in drum corps (1950's) we got to see Scout House often being in far upstate NY. To us horny teenagers, they were a complete puzzle... what strapping young guys would shave their legs? and wear short shorts (and I mean SHORT - and tight and close to obscene even by today's loose standards)... but the thing that got us... is they would show up at the beer party afterward... still wearing their "uniform" short shorts with the dang most beautiful girls on their arms.... and then would proceed to drink us all under the table.... (it was different times then folks) Scout House was the epitome of everything hormonal running through the mind of teenagers just having reached puberty.... and they got all the girls too??????? Ya' think???????? What was wrong with that picture...

Trust me liz... both on and off the field, they'd have made your little sweet heart go pitter patter....

I agree.... the Dream lived on for a few more years after its final year at Rooseelt Stadium (1980).... but was never quite the same.

I came relatively late to the "Dream party" at Roosevelt Stadium as a fan and marching member.... seeing my first one in 1971 (with an unforgettable performance from the Skyliners topping my memory list from that day) and marching my first one in 1977. But I'm glad to have been there. The Dream was quite possibly the most unique annual drum corps event in history.

Fran

Fran;

Interesting. Because in 1962. Our VFW Post took our whole Corps to the "Preview of Champions" (Also at Roosevelt Stadium each year.) It was in late May. We were going to be a Field Corps for the first time. So they took us to the "Preview" to show many who had joined, what a "Contest" was like. Before we were in one. (about two weeks later)

But that was the show that I desided I wanted to be a "NYC Skyliner" one day. Even though most of our instructors were from "Hawthorne". I wanted to be a Skyliner. So although I never got to march in the "Preview" I did march in the "Dream" as a member of the "New York Skyliners".

I got to march with "St. Lucy's Cadets" in the mid'60s Junior part of the "Dream" Then years later, mid'70s with "NYC Skyliners" in the Senior part. AND did an Exhibition once, with the (BS) "Golden Knights" Sr. Corps.

To you others.

Who may not have had the oppertunity to either go to, or Compete in the "Dream" I am just saying the "Dream" and "Roosevelt Stadium" was Special to a very large amount of people.

But, I have attended some GREAT shows other places. Some being; "CYO Nats" at BC in Boston, The "U.S. Open" in Marion, Ohio, "World Open" in Bridgeport,CT, "The Nationals" in Lexington, KY, and the "DCI Championships" in Philly. Had a Great time seeing and hearing some of the best Drum Corps you could ever want. Memories that will last forever also.

Here is a memory NOT from the "Dream"

Drove all the way from Pensacola, FL. to Lexington, KY. Got there real late. Parked in a lot at U.K. In the morning. I was woke up by the "Madison Scouts", Playing a warm up. "You'll Never Walk Alone" not 50 yards away!!!!!!!. Who could ever forget that!!!!!

Being a late comer to the activity, It seems I missed just about everything.

I missed:

The dream

The 65 Chicago Royalaires

Requiem for an Era

Pittsburg Rockets

The world open

1971 Skyliners

1972 Rochester Crusaders

Some of these corps and events because I was too young.. some, because like countless other guys of draft age, I wound up in Vietnam.

I went to war, came home and "The Combine" changed everything, while I was away.

Corps I never heard of.. Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard in particular, would redefine

competative drumcorps and launch the activity into an era of the "touring corps".

"Mom and Pop" community based corps began to fold... mine as well.... Budgets grew to unheard of

amounts.... but........

I have marched in the U.S.Open, saw the 1968 Kilties, watched and listened to Blue Rock

come off the line Blazing! I watched The Bridgemen turn DCI upside down by entertaining the crowd!

I saw Star Of Indiana in 1990.... I marced several shows in Horlick field, in Racine....

Saw birds that wouldn't fly... Saw Pepe with Hurcs, Jimmy Centorino with Matadors....

the best hornline I ever heard, the 1979 Reading Bucs...

well..... much more! It has been 42 years since I laced up my first pair of white Bucks...

I can still smell white shoe polish and fresh cut grass!

I collected pop bottles, worked bake sales.... we ALL did so, in my Jr.corps, to raise cash to get to Marion, or Cleveland for AL/VFW State Championships... rode in school busses painted with the corps name on them.. looked great, ran bad!!

I figure I have some more memories that have yet to be created.... :w00t: