Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

And what is wrong with that ?

better than having a synth playing a flute sound . no ?

or, you could think both suck

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that DCI has decided that " anything goes " in the pre show, will they extend that same opportunity to audiences to react in an "anything goes " fashion should, for example, woodwinds be utilized in the pre show ? I don't condone nor recommend booing, but in this new DCI spirit of " anything goes ", I certainly think it would be understandable and in keeping with this new " anything goes " spirit, should this unfortunate occurance take place on the part of some in the audience who might react angrily to such introduction of such instrumentation into these DCI units.

no they won't. you'll see more and more articles and posts saying it's hurting the kids.

and, i agree...remember, the kids don't design the ####, they just perform it.

but, given DCI 's already suffering from PR hell with Indy, adding this could really be a nightmare

I will be booing and shouting my ### off if I hear a WW on the field.

Why?

Because it's the preshow, so I'm not really disrupting the actual show.

Really? Because it is not the 'actual show' you think it's ok to make a fool of yourself and ruin the enjoyment of the performance for those around you? I hope anyone who disrupts a performance gets kicked out of the stadium.

Crown is using a clarinet ensemble in their pre-show. Discuss.

If true, why would anyone want to disagee then that when a current marching member of Crown is quoted a few weeks back as saying that what she does with Carolina Crown in the summer is...... " Marching Band " ?

" Clarinets " are almost a universal identification and personification of what is referred to as " Marching Band " instrumentation. Nobody disagrees with this, I would presume.

So then, why would some get mad at the poor girl at Crown for simply stating pretty accurately what she does with her summers now in DCI with the Carolina Crown ?

Edited by BRASSO

or, you could think both suck

GOOD IS GOOD .

Closed mindedness in this regard is usually a lack of musical education.

Its music we are talking about. The ART and pageantry of drum corps.

When people booed Bob Dylan for going electric. were they out of line ?

listen first.

Edited by FanofNight

I dont see why some have such a strong desire to throw woodwinds in the mix. Part of what makes drum corps drum corps is that its different, only allowing brass and percussion instruments. Its what makes it special. I didnt read the whole thread, but i would agree with the poster that said if a corps does this, i'm done with them. Any potential additions (and will you really get more fans to show up because 'omg, they have a clarinet?' than you will lose in disgust over the changes?

As for the 'itd be the corps choice'... yeah, we all see how that has worked with Bb, amplification, synths, etc. Once they were added, corps had to 'play the game' or suffer from the judges.

Edited by AlexL

I doubt it will. Electronics are one thing, but groups like Crown and Phantom would never try and decrease the volume they produce. (Which is what adding woodwinds would do.)

I'm pretty sure a good amount of directors hate the idea of WW in corps being used the entire show. During pre-show, I could care less. It might have an amazing effect.

GOOD IS GOOD .

Closed mindedness in this regard is usually a lack of musical education.

Its music we are talking about. The ART and pageantry of drum corps.

When people booed Bob Dylan for going electric. were they out of line ?

listen first.

I'm a flute player. Marched contra in corps. Joined the Marines as a musician. Have been in the musicians guild in Hollywood. Keep woodwinds out of corps. Unplug the pit and lets enjoy the amazing power of the acoustic brass medium.