Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, we have learned this month that DCI is encouraging judges to meet with the Corps Designers before the season starts so that the Corps Show Designers can try and explain what it is they will be attempting to convey on the field of competition this year. The hope is that it will lesson the degree of confusion on the part of judges with the Corps shows, themes, music, messge, etc. This is good news for judges. As for the paying fans ? You're on your own, and DCI wishes you good luck this year as you try and figure out the theme, message, music, etc.

LOL, after reading the first half of this paragraph I was going to respond. Then I read the second half and you said exactly what I was going to say.

Rotsa-ruck <$1 to Scooby Doo> fans......

s/ Guy who goes to turn his mind off for a bit and just be entertained.

I still can't understand why a drum corps has to explain the show to a judge. Are they judged on show concept of execution of said show. Also If you need more then one sentence to expalin somethig then you don't understand it. This was taught to me when I became a salesman.

Its one of my biggest issues with the current corps, Show themes. Why not just play some good music, march good drill. Does there really have to be a theme? Does it make the show better? A good show with no theme is 100 times better then a bad themed show. And If you need to explain it...then the theme is bad.

LOL, after reading the first half of this paragraph I was going to respond. Then I read the second half and you said exactly what I was going to say.

Rotsa-ruck <$1 to Scooby Doo> fans......

s/ Guy who goes to turn his mind off for a bit and just be entertained.

There could be some value in having the judges sit down with a show designer to listen to the designer try and explain to the judge what the theme will be all about. Particularly, if it's very early in the winter. Perhaps after an hour or so of listening intently to the show designer, the judge wil be able to politely and delicately say to the show designer in a compassionate manner....:

" Is there a Plan B ? "

I still can't understand why a drum corps has to explain the show to a judge. Are they judged on show concept of execution of said show. Also If you need more then one sentence to expalin somethig then you don't understand it. This was taught to me when I became a salesman.

Its one of my biggest issues with the current corps, Show themes. Why not just play some good music, march good drill. Does there really have to be a theme? Does it make the show better? A good show with no theme is 100 times better then a bad themed show. And If you need to explain it...then the theme is bad.

And I still dont get the "anti-elitist" attitude that themes are bad, and that all corps should just play and march random stuff. Dont get me wrong, I can appreciate shows that do this, especially from the past, and as evidenced by the 'barely themed' show scv put out this past year, they can still be successful. That, in itself, does not make themes inherently evil though. X being good doesnt make Y bad. Additionally, many shows can be easily understood on the surface, have good music and drill, and the basic story makes sense, however, there are several levels of design beyond that surface. I often enjoy (and I know i'm not the only one) finding new layers and meanings in shows years after the fact, and a lot of good shows are designed with this layered approach in mind.

Take cadets 05 for example (just because i know a good bit about it). Sure, it was strange, but a brief glance at the program and hearing the title would pretty much give you the idea that this show is about a dream / twilight zone world....simple enough. The girl has a nightmare about water (pretty obvious with the flags, the music, and the fish / umbrella / wave images in the drill. Then, its a fantasy world, with chess pieces and fairy tales. Then its a factory, with tool belts and conveyor boats, and finally, she tries to get out of the dream / the zone at the end. Maybe that seems like a little much to some, but i think its fair to say that those concepts were fairly well conveyed, and obvious to most that paid attention.

Now, as for why do corps need to 'explain' things to the judges....well, judges are human too, and they dont have the luxury of going back two years later and saying "OHHH, now I get it". For instance, in liquid, there was a segment where 'the girl' was doing the choreography from 'singin in the rain'. Would the average person, or judge for that matter pick up on that??...NO, of course not, but its still really cool. In that same song, there is drill that is designed to look like a shower head with water droplets falling through it (I was the first droplet on the left :tongue: ). Now, thats kind of a hard image to pick up without knowing about it, but after me telling you, you could probably find it on the high cam. I could go on and on, and thats just one song, and more importantly, I wasnt even a show designer....just some kid in the corps, and yet I know all this stuff.

To head off the obvious criticism, you may say 'why is all that crap necessary'. I dont really have a good answer, other than that a lot of people enjoy it, and that it provides a challenge to designers to show real creativity. I think we can all agree that sometimes it goes too far, and sometimes it looks just like artists designing 'art' for other artists to see. Obviously, the key to a good show is to do all these things, but still maintain great drill and music. I know most of us are tired of drum corps arranging where the arranger attempts to prove his brilliance by combining so many motifs and ideas that you lose the original thought, and that lesson applies to show design in general. Still, good themed shows and good music and drill are not mutually exlusive. Also, I am still waiting for someone to point out which shows from 2009 DCI finals were ruined by their theme, or too hard to understand. I think its my 3rd time asking....

I have nothing to say.

Would anybody else like a Corps show designer to develop a show theme around THIS ?( above )

I think if nothing else, it would make for a short pre season get together by judge and show designer. Maybe they could do a 15 second teleconference via the computer, or the show designer could simply mail it in to the judge. Plus, I think the judges can pretty much conclude that voice and narration are out this year with this Corps, and that would be informational headsup for all the judges too.

Edited by BRASSO

Would anybody else like a Corps show designer to develop a show theme around THIS ?( above )

I think if nothing else, it would make for a short pre season get together by judge and show designer. Maybe they could do a 15 second teleconference via the computer, or the show designer could simply mail it in to the judge. Plus, I think the judges can pretty much conclude that voice and narration are out this year with this Corps, and that would be informational headsup for all the judges too.

Nah....someone would probably turn it into a john cage show..... :tongue:

Woodwinds in Drum Corps:

The injuries to the mouth and teeth caused from a collision would be far greater with a woodwind mouthpiece than a brass mouthpiece.

You would be crazy to march woodwinds with a DCI type drill.

I can see the toothless smiles already.

No problem. DCI in this case could pick up another Corporate Sponsor....::" Delta Dental"

No problem. DCI in this case could pick up another Corporate Sponsor....::" Delta Dental"

But think about how easy it would be to do new creative drill with flutes and clarinets!!! Those pesky and impossible front to back intervals that can never be less than a 2 step due to the nature of 'bugle-like' instruments can now be closed down, allowing for more kids on the field. MORE KIDS. CREATIVE. INNOVATION :tongue:

Close your eyes and picture ( say) the Blue Devils or the Cavaliers doing their typical show with saxophones and flutes. Imagine that image of what it would look like in your head....... Let it sit there now for 60 seconds in your mind......... ..........now 30 seconds....... keep your eyes closed..... " feel " the Flutes sound from the Blue Devils or Cavaliers wash over you....... watch in your mind, the Saxophone player march crisply in backward movement ala BD...... watch the final push to the stands....... with the flutes and saxophones elevated high to the stands...... I know, it's excruciating. Your head is beginning to throb, you're getting nauseous. Hang in there............... keep that image in your head....20 more seconds............... now 10............... now 5.....

Now open your eyes,...... It's over...... now get down on your knees, look up to the heavens,...... put your hands together and beg the Good Lord that this image leaves your head forever and never, ... EVER ...... EVER.... returns.

I..... feel...... your....... pain.

Suicide would be better than watching a bunch of glorified high school bands impersonating BD, Cavies, Cadets, Troopers etc......