Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the sum total of what makes DCI World Class the best will continue to attract people, and adding WW is another step along the way for DCI to focus its efforts on those people who are the target audience. It's not going to happen any time soon, so its all academic anyway.

Like I said....not even you will claim that woodwinds would draw more kids to shows.

Edited by audiodb

Au contraire....those summer bands are very relevant to the discussion. They were drum corps' parallel universe for quite some time, but they faded while drum corps persevered. They demonstrate the folly of morphing DCI into a summer marching band circuit....the insanity of doing that same thing a second time, and expecting different results.

You still ignore the idea that those bands were more along the lines of the hundreds of lower level corps that failed as well, The Cadets or Crown are still The Cadets or Crown with or without WW.

Using better mallets and technique does require miccing. Harder mallets and a 'heavier hand' ARE how they got around the lack of amps pre-2004.

OK, so you'd rather see two vibes or marimbas play the exact same part? If that's your preference, you are entitled to it. I would never write that way, even for the band I write for, and I'd prefer to hear a show with more creativity and musical interest than unison playing for the entire show by two marimba players. but...we each like what we like.

If there were only two marimbas or vibes, then sure play something different. But most world class pits have 5 marimbas and 4 vibes, plus a xylophone and synth. Would you really write 11 separate parts with no or limited doubling with that instrumentation?

I know for a fact that more of my woodwind players would go to DCI shows if woodwinds were added, either to see their friends perform, or to see if it's something they'd like to do on their woodwind instrument.

However, I doubt that the number of kids drawn because of woodwinds being added would surpass the number of fans who leave because of woodwinds.

Using better mallets and technique does require miccing. Harder mallets and a 'heavier hand' ARE how they got around the lack of amps pre-2004.

OK, so you'd rather see two vibes or marimbas play the exact same part? If that's your preference, you are entitled to it. I would never write that way, even for the band I write for, and I'd prefer to hear a show with more creativity and musical interest than unison playing for the entire show by two marimba players. but...we each like what we like.

Are you just being obtuse?

I'll restate....if you want softer mallets and/or proper technique, mics are not required. If one player's part doesn't project well enough, doubling that part is another option.

If you want more parts for creativity, you can use more players to achieve that too.

If you want both, you can use even more players.

You still ignore the idea that those bands were more along the lines of the hundreds of lower level corps that failed as well, The Cadets or Crown are still The Cadets or Crown with or without WW.

No, there were summer bands of various levels of ability and commitment, including some that toured nationally (or internationally, since Canada had bands involved). Top DCI world-class staffers worked with top summer bands too. Former DCI member corps Seattle Imperials and Argonauts converted to band programs after leaving the drum corps activity and joined the summer marching band tour, meeting their match at the hands of top Midwestern and Canadian bands.

Today, there is no summer band tour comparable to what the expanded DCI world-class tour has become. But the summer band activity of 20-25 years ago was analogous to drum corps on the local, regional and national levels.

wasnt there a survey done by DCI in the 90s that Steve published that expressed this view?

Nice try.

In fact, a DCI official told me personally in the early 90s that 55% of the crowd had a direct affilation to drum corps be it member or family of a member. That 55% figure backs my position about the dearth of unaffiliated fans. Keep in mind, she told me the percentage reflects members and family members. Even allowing modestly for friends, volunteers and others whose affiliations weren't specifically identified, perhaps a third or less of the crowd just wander in, so to speak.

I haven't cited this figure before mostly because I don't believe it at least in reference to the crowds at finals (which is really the only common reference point we have). I don't believe it adequately captures the overwhelming percentage of fans who return for championships and were introduced to the activity by virtue of their own participation or that of a family member or friend.

I say this because I am among that third or fewer who came to DCI without any affiiliation. And it all my many years of attendance at DCI, among all the hundreds of conversations with random strangers who happened to be sitting near me, standing with me in the concession line, staying at my hotel or waiting with me at the airport, I seldom ever meet someone like me, someone who comes to DCI who never marched, whose brother, sister, parents, kids or friends never marched. I freely admit the anecdotal nature of what I'm saying. It has, however, been consistent over decades. It seems impossible to dispute that few people - very few people - who attend DCI have no direct affiliation with drum corps beyond their tickets and their passion.

I don't know how DCI came up with the 55% number. It may be that reflects attendance at all shows. No doubt there are many more local and unaffialited fans in the stands in West Patchooch and places like it than there are at DCI finals. If that's the case, and if the 55% number is accurate, then consider what that implies for my assertion about the impact of disappearing corps on attendance in general and in particular at DCI. There is your exodus.

HH

Nice try.

What.. you know for sure that Steve Vickers didn't do this..... or Jeffs blowing smoke outta his...

In fact, a DCI official told me personally in the early 90s that 55% of the crowd had a direct affilation to drum corps be it member or family of a member. That 55% figure backs my position about the dearth of unaffiliated fans. Keep in mind, she told me the percentage reflects members and family members. Even allowing modestly for friends, volunteers and others whose affiliations weren't specifically identified, perhaps a third or less of the crowd just wander in, so to speak.

Interesting figure and not arguing that you've been told that. But does that mean current affiliatiation with one of the corps performing that night, past affiliation with the same or just affiliated with drum corps in general? Can read the statement a few ways including as soon as a corps disbands, some/lot of the ex-members never go to a corps show again.