Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

Has there been a reduction since amping?

Without counting exact numbers, I'd say there does not seem to be. So instead of 10 mallet players hammering from their shoulders, we have 10 mallet players playing closer to the keys.

Maybe someone who actually was in a corps' pit can help with this - I've often wondered - is there a lot of doubling that goes on between marimba players or between marimba / vibe / xylo? In other words - do you honestly need all of those mallet players to cover the parts, or is it for volume purposes?

Mike

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without counting exact numbers, I'd say there does not seem to be. So instead of 10 mallet players hammering from their shoulders, we have 10 mallet players playing closer to the keys.

Maybe someone who actually was in a corps' pit can help with this - I've often wondered - is there a lot of doubling that goes on between marimba players or between marimba / vibe / xylo? In other words - do you honestly need all of those mallet players to cover the parts, or is it for volume purposes?

Mike

there is still doubling, and there is still a lot of players hammering

Mike

MikeD doesn't seem to think there is, but I hear it and have video's that show massive doubling still. With all the balance issues with amping the pits I am surprised no one has elected to remove them so we can actually hear the melody being played by the rest of the corps. At the very least move them to the back sideline and adjust from there.

I would suggest that this is more the fault of front ensemble arrangers / caption heads then than simply blaming amps. Don't get me wrong - I still think they're overmixed. But I think - especially in the first couple of years - they were starting to achieve a great deal in adding new sounds to the mix.

Mike

this mix is horrible, and i'm not 100% positive moving the guy upstairs helps. in fact last year the pit covered up a mic'd brass soloist in Allentown

I don't understand. If the pit could not be heard, they should have tried adding more people to that section.

Well, they did that too! :worthy::tongue:

Well, they did that too! :worthy::tongue:

in some cases you're correct. they plugged in AND added more bodies

You mean add two or three more marimbas, a couple more vibes, etc? THAT would get expensive (FAR more expensive than a sound system)

Well, if the instruments are too expensive for drum corps to afford, perhaps they shouldn't be using them in the first place.