Pirated finals videos

I'm listening to Asphalt Cocktail so I'm in the perfect mood to bring up something that has stuck in my craw since Finals night.

But first, does anyone remember how the seats in the Can are numbered? Sitting in a section do the seat numbers increase from right to left or left to right?

Now, Finals night. I've got my 10 year old with me and we're settling in for the show. I'm getting situated. I happen to turn around and see a guy standing two rows back, right behind me, yakking with his friends. Just then I happened to notice that he's got a nice, small, obviously digital Sony Handycam in his hand. I actually stared at it for a moment, almost in disbelief, to make sure it was a video camera. There was no doubt in my mind.

I looked up at him and he wasn't paying any attention to me or my evil, glaring stare. In that two-tenths of a second I knew I should confront him sternly about it, then second-guessed myself ("What if he says, 'Yes, I'm going to record the whole show."), then I turned and sat down. I fumed about it for a few minutes and almost got up and in his face but, ultimately, I decided to shut up, enjoy the show, and not make a scene about it. I even considered getting a stadium staff member but there were none in sight.

I've never forgotten my 50-year-old wussiness (I don't typically back down easily) and have since regretted not saying something.

So, should I have?

What would you have done?

What WILL you do?

Got a good throwing arm? Simply ###### it, and hurl it as far as you can, and see if you can hit the seats on the other side of the stadium!!

The worst that can happen is it will land harmlessly on an empty field. To the astonishment of thousands!

What's he gonna do? Complain to security that you took his lil secret videocam????

Missed opportunity, to see if you still got the 'ol "Throw 'em out at the plate Mojo" left in that arm!!!!

AJMHO

:-)

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a good throwing arm? Simply ###### it, and hurl it as far as you can, and see if you can hit the seats on the other side of the stadium!!

The worst that can happen is it will land harmlessly on an empty field. To the astonishment of thousands!

What's he gonna do? Complain to security that you took his lil secret videocam????

Missed opportunity, to see if you still got the 'ol "Throw 'em out at the plate Mojo" left in that arm!!!!

AJMHO

:-)

LOL! :thumbup: I like the way you think!

I did it a couple of times in the Northwest in the late 90's and early 200's. It was more for my friends (only show to come up here during the year, with only one "big gun").

In the late 90's, I remember videotaping Santa Clara with Night Vision. Everything was green, but at the end, I got a a shot of a good friend of mine with his Wife and young child. He was in Santa Clara's Snareline in 79, and it was the first time we saw Santa Clara tilt their drums. This with the family shot proved to be a great time capsule.

And how about the videos of Blue Devils warm ups/run throughs from the 80's that are turning up? Those are great for the people who marched then who have no record.

But I digress. If it's something for you yourself (since I'm a drummer, I would pan to the drumline only) what's the problem?

While it may be "stealing", I think DCI has more to think about than small fish who don't want to make a profit.

Isn't DCI making enough money as it is???

I mean, you can't even WATCH DCI on TV anymnore. It's a frikkin INFORMERCIAL!! While they may need it to recruit, educate, etc, it would be nice to see the whole shows (like in the old days). Then for the people who want the highest quality, buy the DVD.

Just IMO.

One would think that allowing people to record a show, from their perspective in the stands, would only help promote the activity...

You mean like Google is helping promote the news business into oblivion? It's all very convenient today. It won't be so convenient tomorrow when there is no economic model to support our expectations for news content. Yes, drum corps is different, but the principal is the same. Copyright was created to encourage the creation of new content by establishing the intellectual and economic rights of the content creator.

I recognize the difference between a father taping his daughter on the field and a bootlegger pirate. The problem is YouTube doesn't. Neither, apparently, do many of you. That's why DCI has to - and should - police this.

HH

You mean like Google is helping promote the news business into oblivion? It's all very convenient today. It won't be so convenient tomorrow when there is no economic model to support our expectations for news content. Yes, drum corps is different, but the principal is the same. Copyright was created to encourage the creation of new content by establishing the intellectual and economic rights of the content creator.

I recognize the difference between a father taping his daughter on the field and a bootlegger pirate. The problem is YouTube doesn't. Neither, apparently, do many of you. That's why DCI has to - and should - police this.

HH

Copyright is something that is being abused in this country. It would be nice if the artist were actually being compensated fairly by the **AAs. Instead what we usually have are big corporations getting richer on the backs of content producers. What we need is a copyright overhall, but that's a different topic.

Copyright is something that is being abused in this country. It would be nice if the artist were actually being compensated fairly by the **AAs. Instead what we usually have are big corporations getting richer on the backs of content producers. What we need is a copyright overhall, but that's a different topic.

Huh? Another example of slippery slope that starts with "it's okay to deprive some institution of its due because it's rich enough already" and ends in ruin for the very art we desire.

Listen folks, if its valuable to you, it's worth paying for. I don't know what could be simpler.

HH

Huh? Another example of slippery slope that starts with "it's okay to deprive some institution of its due because it's rich enough already" and ends in ruin for the very art we desire.

Listen folks, if its valuable to you, it's worth paying for. I don't know what could be simpler.

HH

Nope, it's a separate issue. We need to make sure that "some institution" pays the content creator as well is all I'm saying. Like I said, a different topic.