2010 Brass Lines

fifer

I think that most top 12 corps will be marching between 14-16 contras in 2010. 20 just seems to be a bit of overkill, but, if Madison make a major upswing into finals 20 may be the new 16. :tongue:

I fail to see what's so outrageous about 20 tubas.

If a corps decided to have this instrumentation:

1st part trumpets

2nd part cornets

3rd part flugel

1st middle voices on mellophones and alto horns

2nd and third middle voices on marching french horns

1st low voice parts on tromboniums

2nd low voice parts on marching baritone parts

3rd low voice parts on marching euphs

Would that be considered verboten as well? :laughing:

Lets just let them try something that's actually a little bit different without being all doubtful...

I mean, this is a brass activity for now and I think it's pretty cool to experiment with the brass sound. As long as it sounds "good".

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Scouts are one of the "chosen ones" for this year's countdown.

Honestly.....with Jim Mason on board.....anything can happen. Jim coming back to drum corps is a big story by itself....

we'll see I guess....

WOW! If you really think you had "total crap" people in your hornline, I assume your taking full responsibility for them being total crap since you were their instructor.

You can't fix everyone, there are some people that are just unfixable. I'll be impressed if they pull of 20 solid tubas but I'd be surprised if they could get that many good tubas when it's hard enough for higher placing corps to pull together 12-16 good tubas.

If a corps decided to have this instrumentation:

1st part trumpets

2nd part cornets

3rd part flugel

1st middle voices on mellophones and alto horns

2nd and third middle voices on marching french horns

1st low voice parts on tromboniums

2nd low voice parts on marching baritone parts

3rd low voice parts on marching euphs

Add some tuba to that mix, and you have my the brass line voicing of my dreams.

Add some tuba to that mix, and you have my the brass line voicing of my dreams.

Heh, I forgot to add those to the mix.

phantom is fielding 12 contras. Similar things were said that it was to keep the line free of dirty playing and marching. They had 27 people audition for contra in november. They had last years horns and this years both at the camp, so we had all of them on the new jupiter instruments.

phantom is fielding 12 contras. Similar things were said that it was to keep the line free of dirty playing and marching. They had 27 people audition for contra in november. They had last years horns and this years both at the camp, so we had all of them on the new jupiter instruments.

12 Contras seems sufficient. 20 seems like overkill to me. But Mason knows a thing or two about brass lines, so I'll cut him slack. If nothing else, 20 contras trying to play in unison in domed stadiums could be potentially fraught with cross tempo hazards. But I'm sure Mason has factored this into his thinking. I'm looking forward to all these Corps,... whether they have 8 or 20 contras this season.

This is interesting. From what you are saying here, Phantom has 12 solid Contras, and " 27 auditioned for contra in November ".

Today, we've learned from Dan Farrell of Phantom that Phantom is looking for "a few more " tubas.

This would mean that Farrell had 17 or so contras in November that he believes can't cut the mustard at Phantom this year. This seems like a lot of tubas that are not up to Phantom's standards. But then again, Phantom does have high standards. ( but it still seems like a high rejection rate to me nonetheless )

Edited by BRASSO