Famous Drill moves

Surprised no one has mentioned 2002 Cavaliers yet--Frameworks. That show has a whole mess of jaw-dropping drill. Cavies doing what they do best: fast, fast, fast.

Dude, my post, 2nd page. Anyways yes! I will say that you are right in jaw dropping, 02 04 and 08 were jaw dropping in their own aspects. 04 the drill corresponded extrodiarly well to the music in my view. 2002 not as much, but exquisitly clean, I still say its the cleanest marched in DCI history. 2008 was a bit of 04 and 02 put together minus cleanliness. The athleticism required for that show was pretty intense, the line jumps ohhhhh I still watch those.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some that haven't been mentioned:

90 Star: The last minute. Some of Zingali's best stuff

90 Cadets: Sully's take on the Z Pull is sweet.

Steve Brubaker had many classic moves: The snake, X to Diamonds, Blender, etc... also some great moments of guard integration that was before the time.

Steve Brubaker had many classic moves: The snake, X to Diamonds, Blender, etc... also some great moments of guard integration that was before the time.

Out of curiosity, what are these two?

I think "The Snake" was the one used in Korean Folk Song right? They bring that one back every now and again. Though, for some reason I thought it was called "the dragon", but whatever.

And I'm not sure what "Blender" looks like, but I've got a pretty good idea by the title.

Just as long as we're talking about Brubaker, I'll throw in the endings to the 90 and 91 shows. "Everything you could possibly do with a box" + "Christmas Tree Pull" + "guard throw-over!".

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

What's most impressive about a great drill move in my humble thoughts are:

A, the manner in which they (drill moments) were conceptualized and written.

B, the achievement skills it took to execute them.

Several drill moves were already mentioned here. Certainly the Cavaliers designer's have conceptualized some of THE most interesting "moving moments"to date, but the corps proper, due in no small part to their most able tech staff, has demonstrated the astonishing achievement skills to deliver the intended effect.

Some of these drill moments, especially in "Spin Cycle" are actually "studys" for even the most seasoned of drill enthusiasts. What sets the movment portion of Cavaliers apart from the rest of the "most distigushed" pack is that it works on both the levels of FAN APPRECIATION for it's sense of "EVENT"and PEER RESPECT for it's afore mentioned written concept and performance achievement.

stein

"Famous Drill Moves":

Going back a "Bit" (Actually way back... :worthy: ), Madison Scouts did a "Headchopper" move with their CG in 1960 & 61, as welll as a "Scatter Drill" by the corps proper. Rick Maass and the old Norwood Park Inperials brought out the "Circle" in the late 1950'2.

Blessed Sacrament and Chicago Cavaliers did a "Starting line to the '50' company front back in 1963 and 1961 that was almost perfect, :worthy: and Preston Scout House of Toronto had a marching program that included signaturemoves such as thrir "High Step", and the "Run & Gun" in parts of their program.

Great memories.... :worthy:

Elphaba

Out of curiosity, what are these two?

I think "The Snake" was the one used in Korean Folk Song right? They bring that one back every now and again. Though, for some reason I thought it was called "the dragon", but whatever.

And I'm not sure what "Blender" looks like, but I've got a pretty good idea by the title.

Just as long as we're talking about Brubaker, I'll throw in the endings to the 90 and 91 shows. "Everything you could possibly do with a box" + "Christmas Tree Pull" + "guard throw-over!".

Snake in a blender, '90s percussion break.

A line, into diamonds, rotating into boxes, into snake into a big block...

Edited by jjeffeory

"Famous Drill Moves":

Going back a "Bit" (Actually way back... :flower: ), Madison Scouts did a "Headchopper" move with their CG in 1960 & 61, as welll as a "Scatter Drill" by the corps proper. Rick Maass and the old Norwood Park Inperials brought out the "Circle" in the late 1950'2.

Blessed Sacrament and Chicago Cavaliers did a "Starting line to the '50' company front back in 1963 and 1961 that was almost perfect, :w00t: and Preston Scout House of Toronto had a marching program that included signaturemoves such as thrir "High Step", and the "Run & Gun" in parts of their program.

Great memories.... :flower:

Elphaba

Ok, for those of us who didn't start until 70, what was a run and gun ?

Ok, for those of us who didn't start until 70, what was a run and gun ?

"Run & Gun":

Scout House actually RAN to their formations (You know them as "Sets") while playing their horns & drums (Which were Bb piston bugles BTW). They performed such numbers as "Waltzing Matilda:, "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers", and "Colonel Bogey March".

Scout House was broght back as an "Alumni Band" (They were never a "Drum & Bugle CORPS) a few years back and have recreated the "Style & Sound" of their glory years (Without the running.... :w00t: )

Elphaba

OLD SCHOOL...

60's circa 1964 St Mary;s Cardinals rotating company front in Heat Wave.

The first that I ever saw do a box rotation was Les Diplomates from Quebec, way ahead of their time in the 60's.

70's Ralph Pace, Bobby Hoffman. Mike Moxley and Pete Emmons.

NEWER SCHOOL...80's Brubaker, Zingali, Sylvester...

NEW SCHOOL...innovations by SCV, Cadets, Crown, BD, and most notable Cavaliers.

DA

I was watching 2002 Cavies...at one point they make a Z look shape, but longer. They then inverted it, so it was upside down and the other way. It was really awesome. Then they went from that to a arc and then 2 little wings split from the arc, only attached to the arc on one end, then they clasped together again to form the huge arc.

If you watch the only video of the full show on YOU(toob) then it's at 3:50.

Edited by HighBrass09