Which is better

Oh, I see what you guys are doing.

I personally prefer no voice, pit amplification as long as its in balance, the synth is ok as long as they don't use that cliched sound that is like a mix of orchestra and organ. Pretty much anything that makes musical or programmatic sense (in my mind) I'll enjoy, or at least tolerate.

I disagree with how you divided the corps by use of electronics, because most corps have used electronics in a wide variety of ways.

For example: Bluecoats have done voice, they use pit amps, they used a lot of sound effects in Hunting Wabbits 2 (birds, accordion, ducks, etc.) this past summer, and in the same show, used the synth to pump out a pedal at the end of Children's Hour Of Dream... so... yeah.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electronics can be used tastefully. Here -

http://www.stevenbryant.com/ecstaticwaters.php

The piece is called "Ecstatic Waters" By Steven Bryant, we played it in our Wind Ensemble concert last Friday, and I'd say that the electronics compliment the winds perfectly. Pre-recorded effects can be used tastefully, it's just not often.

Hasn't anyone heard "On The Transmigration of Souls" by John Adams? One of the most moving pieces I've ever heard, and it's full of pre-recorded things.

I know I'm getting off topic in to a larger umbrella of debate and not quite answering the question at hand, but I'm just saying. Electronics can be good. It's just not often.

Edited by acolli17

Unplugged.

Garry in Vegas

I agree, electronic can be used tastefully and I’ve been using them since the mid-80s when they were very expensive, limited and difficult to use.

But I think in this medium they lack creativity and destroy the timbre a corps.

I also don’t think they were used well last year.

I feel they’ll become like the pit which, has grown too busy and is often used as filler, a visual crutch while the corps runs around, not playing

I only give them a pass on sound effects and only as needed, I think its bunk that all corps in world class (minus 1) felt that they improved their show. Forcing parts in just to have them there is bad design and bad writing – if you are uncomfortable having people rest during a show, give them some visual demand…put them in the drill or give them something to spin

The question is not "should they be here." There are enough of those threads. They are legal. get over it.

This is a "how should they be used" thread

OK - This is how they should be used: Far, far away from the marching field.

The question is not "should they be here." There are enough of those threads. They are legal. get over it.

This is a "how should they be used" thread

They should be used as an example, like random finals drawing, that all experiments do not end postively.

Having said that last paragraph, I liked the way Holy Name Cadets and Carolina Crown used electronics last year (sound effects and instruments).

not me for Cadets,.........nothing to do with your reasons either....................watching the sound guy freak out for 5 or so minutes while the corps stood at attension waiting to start the show, for what seemed like an eternity, (here in Erie last summer), while he tried to get the crap to reboot.......................not to mention GH pacing from side to side behind the podium during this, and then for the entire corps performance checking PA levels or something,......................

Electronics can be used tastefully. Here -

http://www.stevenbryant.com/ecstaticwaters.php

The piece is called "Ecstatic Waters" By Steven Bryant, we played it in our Wind Ensemble concert last Friday, and I'd say that the electronics compliment the winds perfectly. Pre-recorded effects can be used tastefully, it's just not often.

My ensemble played this piece too earlier in the year! I loved it

Edited by SynthLine09