Volume level of the World Class Corps

waiting for the plethora of "anything after my generation isn't loud" responses.

Cadets, Crown and Phantom come to mind for recently. Cadets 05 and 07 along with Phantom 06 are definitely some of the loudest recently.

LOL, loud is relative to what you know and have experienced.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recently...Crown and Phantom

some old BD

Madison most years between the 70s and 2002

Spirit 80

I wish there was a year where they would test decibels at finals.

Or maybe even at all the major shows, then average them.

The corps with the most mature performers that can handle the resposibility of playing with tremendous power of air and stay in tune are always the loudest corps= top 6 plus a few others. Think about, corps with an average age of 18-21 (college age) will be able to handle these types of responsibilities much better than corps with an average brass line of 15-18 (HS age) of course.

People on here are discounting the Blue Devils, but that is only because they sound so good (and Balanced) at loud volumes that they are not considering how loud they are. Cadets usually are right up there because THEIR BRASS STAFF teaches them how to do it so well. Phantom is the same way usually....loud and balanced, as are SCV and Bluecoats.

Donny

I wish there was a year where they would test decibels at finals.

Or maybe even at all the major shows, then average them.

In 2007 we had our volume levels tested during rehearsals, and same with 2009 (not sure about 2008). In 2009 we hit crazy levels with just the low brass alone.

I'm thinking we may have approached 110 decibels in 2007, but I'm not positive. It was pretty darn close.

The corps with the most mature performers that can handle the resposibility of playing with tremendous power of air and stay in tune are always the loudest corps= top 6 plus a few others. Think about, corps with an average age of 18-21 (college age) will be able to handle these types of responsibilities much better than corps with an average brass line of 15-18 (HS age) of course.

People on here are discounting the Blue Devils, but that is only because they sound so good (and Balanced) at loud volumes that they are not considering how loud they are. Cadets usually are right up there because THEIR BRASS STAFF teaches them how to do it so well. Phantom is the same way usually....loud and balanced, as are SCV and Bluecoats.

Donny

I didn't discount BD at all....in fact, they have one of the cleanest sounds around. I don't think louder means better, but as long as the players can do it well with no stickouts, it's perfectly fine.

I definitely agree with you that as long as the hornline can established a good balanced sound first, then it's much easier to crank up the volume.

Drum corps shows are by no means as loud as a rock concert where they're amping everywhere, but it's not a visit to the symphony either. There will be corps (Cadets, PR, etc.) that will shock you with their volume.

I mean... I've been to DCI comps before... but they are always so early in the season, so volume is never really added at this point x.x And I am always curious to how loud the corps are at the end of the season! The loudest corps I listened to was The Academy 2009... and to tell you the truth. It wasn't what I expected at this point x\ I was hoping for something louder, but then again, it was early season xD

Try sitting down front during a BD encore performance and you'll get the full effect of loud.