How About Tweaking the Activity Name?

I am 100% in favor of retaining that name and the related nomenclature (i.e., soprano, contra, etc.) for the sake of said tradition.

I still call them that because that's the voice of the brass choir each represents.

And I'm fine with just calling them "DCI corps," even if they add woodwinds.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that traditional bugles could be in any key, but were most often in C or Bb. The cornet, a Bb instrument, is sometimes called a "keyed bugle".

The key of G thing is relatively new.

... and to add to my last post..... hasn't the traditional military band keys always been related to Bb? The two Holst suites are in F and Eb (much better for Bb brass, than G).

I just never get why so many people think this use of Bb and F horns is some "new-fangled marching band thing."

Keep History and add Truth.

" BAND CORPS "

(And call it "Band Corps International".

"REAL DRUM CORPS!!!!"

Anyone? Anyone?

How about no. Just no.

We know what "drum corps" or "drum and bugle corps" means when we hear it. But even if someone performs in the pit, we still say they are "marching" in a corps, just as we say guard members are still "guard" members even though they're not guarding anything.

Eventually a new phrase will catch up with the transformation that will aptly describe what these units are. It is ineviteable. Those who support " change ", will be be the first to acknowledge ( one would think anyway ) that " Drum and Bugle Corps" naming needs to " change " as well.

In the meantime, I wouldn't sweat what the name will ultimately become with these DCI Units.

It'll all happen in due time.

Edited by BRASSO

Eventually a new phrase will catch up with the transformation that will aptly describe what these units are. It is ineviteable. Those who support " change ", will be be the first to acknowledge ( one would think anyway ) that " Drum and Bugle Corps" naming needs to " change " as well.

In the meantime, I wouldn't sweat what the name will ultimately become with these DCI Units.

It'll all happen in due time.

Agreed. If it ever happens, it won't happen due to anything any of us do. It will happen on its own.