How About Tweaking the Activity Name?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't it make more sense to call it Drum and Brass Corps now?

Nope, not with woodwinds on their way and strings already legal in the pit.

Summer Running and Playing Honor Band with Ochestral Pit and Dance Ensemble on Tour.

( featuring Aurther T Shrank III on solo Eb Contra Canola Horn )

Whats the problem ? :worthy:

And most people inside the activity will still refer to it as "drum corps."

And that's my point. So what difference does it really make what you call it?

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on parkway?

oh also we should change the name of this site to Drum Corps Website because... I don't think this is a planet...

:worthy:

And that's my point. So what difference does it really make what you call it?

Exactly. I totally agree. If it doesn't make a difference, then there is no compelling reason not to leave the name alone.

Edited by Michael Boo

Why are folks that are most supportive for massive change in most areas of Drum and Bugle Corps, so resistant to changing the name of the activity from Drum and Bugle Corps to something else ? I don't get it. What's up with THAT ?

And a " Honda " is still an automobile. BUT.... if you replace the auto trany with a jet engine , put wings on your Honda, take that sucker out onto an airport runway, and launch that Honda into the sky................

but then try and tell people you still have a Honda" automobile," . Well, good luck sticking to the term and convincing your rational and intelligent friends that your Honda there is " still an automobile ",...and not an" airplane " now. Besides, what's the big deal with changing the name of DCI units to represent what they are now, anyway ?

ps... and nobody disagrees that performers are still performers, and WHAT they do is superlative, and the values they learn and all the intangibles of doing " whatschamacallit " havn't changed much. This thread is not about renaming the " performers ". They really havn't changed at all that much in 50 years..... not really. And that's the best news yet.

I thought a Honda was a motorcycle.

Or a lawn mower.

Since the hornlines no longer play bugles, wouldn't it make more sense to call it Drum and Brass Corps now? I think this is a more accurate description of what the activity has become. (Unless you prefer to use "bugle" in a nonliteral sense.)

And the horn lines are no longer made up of sopranos and contras. They're called trumpets and tubas. As much as it hurts to say it -- that's what they are.

In this sense -- in my opinion -- the activity changed in 2000.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the DCA groups that actually use bugles. Those are Drum and Bugle Corps.

Anyone else see it the same way? (Puts on flame suit...)

I dont get it. Why split hairs?? Is a bugle not also a brass instrument? People don't seperate trumpets and coronets into their own special category, why should bugles be referred to as if they exist outside the brass family. What on earth would ever be gained by making the name change anyway?

I dont get it. Why split hairs?? Is a bugle not also a brass instrument? People don't seperate trumpets and coronets into their own special category, why should bugles be referred to as if they exist outside the brass family. What on earth would ever be gained by making the name change anyway?

Because those who think that the modern activity doesn't fit their definition of "drum and bugle corps" want something more tangible to prove their case.

Exactly. I totally agree. If it doesn't make a difference, then there is no compelling reason not to leave the name alone.

My argument would be directed towards the outsides perception of the activity. There are millions that are just clueless as to what the activity is, and referring to it as "drum corps" only doesnt help the perception i dont think