The Roof Will Be Open

Fiedler raises a great point, which I mentioned in the Bold Predictions thread. IT should be open for all. Sound can change from day to night and they should explore all options that day, not just under the stars

While I'm not really concerned about it to the extent that he is, I do agree that Fiedler has a point. It would be easy to sidestep this issue, however big or small it may be, by just leaving the roof open all week. I don't know how much is really accomplished by doing this halfway, especially considering the difference that will be made by having progressively larger crowds each day. Attendance alone will play around with the sound, so Quarterfinals doesn't strike me as a great control setting.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question: didn't they say that the Black Curtain of Doom couldn't be in place when the roof was open, as it would blow around too much? I believe they also said it takes more than 15 minutes to hang/remove that thing.

So....I wonder if there will be a curtain for any of Thursday's competition - both open and closed roof?

I think it should be open all day. Its not like we aren't already used to sweating in the sun during the rest of the season.

Yes, but it sounds like the walls of LOS turn it into a sauna during the day even if it isn't that hot out. Even with the window wall open, air does not circulate well in that box without the AC running. I'd be willing to bet that the excessive temperatures on the field with an open roof at 2pm (for example) would be more of an unfair disadvantage for those corps than any benefit the later groups might get from any improvement to sound from the roof being open.

The real message here is that the roof will be closed for semifinals and finals this year.

I think it's a good idea to open it, get some data, and find out if having the roof open will help with the sound.

I THOUGHT that was the point in the first place. My mistake.

I agree Fiedler does have a good point. The roof really should be open the whole day, or closed the whole day.

This simply sends a message that 16th place and below are more different than higher placing corps.

This simply sends a message that 16th place and below are more different than higher placing corps.

No, performance order does that.

While I'm not really concerned about it to the extent that he is, I do agree that Fiedler has a point. It would be easy to sidestep this issue, however big or small it may be, by just leaving the roof open all week. I don't know how much is really accomplished by doing this halfway, especially considering the difference that will be made by having progressively larger crowds each day. Attendance alone will play around with the sound, so Quarterfinals doesn't strike me as a great control setting.

i agree 100%. and that it won't be open the whole day is also an issue....the sound will be drastically different for the judges who have to compare what they heard under the roof, vs. what they hear without it.

and yes, quarters is not the right test group for this.

I knew someone was going to say something like that when I didn't put all the qualifiers and disclaimers on the post. :tongue:

Performance order doesn't mean that Corps X is more "worthy" than corps Y of having the roof open or closed.

It means they had a higher score. Two different things ( Notice I didn't use the word better. I'm sure that would have created another obvious exchange).

Edited by jjeffeory

Well, we'll see once and for all if it makes a difference.

. . .and as far as Fiedler's comments go, well . . .every outside championship has always had "inconsistent" conditions for each group. Drum corps isn't performed in a vacuum, nor should it be.

it does send a message:

"you wont be telecast, so under the roof for you"