The Roof Will Be Open

Looks like they're going to give it a trial run:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d...35-0220c82b5c58

So why don't they just allow the weather to dictate whether the roof is open or not? If it looks like rain - close it. If it looks dry - leave it open. Is this too simple a concept? How long does it take to open and close the roof? :tongue:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why don't they just allow the weather to dictate whether the roof is open or not? If it looks like rain - close it. If it looks dry - leave it open. Is this too simple a concept? How long does it take to open and close the roof? :tongue:

I think they want to make the performance environment the same for every corps. It makes perfect sense, really.

I think they want to make the performance environment the same for every corps. It makes perfect sense, really.

So the world will end tomorrow if DCI starts making sense!

Counting all the ways that this could turn into a catastrophe ...

10 to 15 minutes based on what I heard.

so then it should be open for more than 15, no?

Again, I applaud DCI for trying something different: might be the same, might be better, might be worse, but at least they're trying something different.

I wonder if they'll keep the black curtain in place for the first corps performing under the roof at Quarters. I don't know if it's a big deal to put it up/take it down, but I would assume it they'll try to put it up/take it down.

I will be very interested to hear the difference. One great thing about keeping it shut for the first several corps, then opening it up later: there will be a clear A/B comparison. It will be a bit skewed, since the crowd size will be different (the fewer bodies in the stands the fewer bodies absorb the sound), but there should be a fairly obvious difference, especially between the last corps playing with roof closed vs. the first corp playing roof open. I'll be real curious to hear:

1. Performance difference. I'll want to hear what the sound is like from Quarters to Semi's from the performer's stand point. Will it be a huge sound difference from the field?

2. Environment difference. With the temperature going from air conditioned (I assume) to open room, will it potentially get real hot/muggy/uncomfortable with the roof open? Growing up in nearby Central OH, the humidity in August can REALLY suck. I know it's a part of life in drum corps, and certainly there will have been worse Championship venues for humidity. But going from a climate controlled, cooled environment to hot and muggy might not be what the fans want (especially if the sound difference is minimal).

3. Real sound difference from the stands. From what I've been told from staffers, it might not really be that much of a difference. Roof open or closed, LOS is a HUGE barn! The roof open might help a little bit, but if it is as cavernous as it looks on TV it will still be a bit boomy, even with the roof open.

And what happens if the forecast is rain for Quarterfinals? Will DCI completely scrap the idea, or will they try to make it up at Semi's if the forecast Fri. is clear?

Either way, I like that DCI is obviously listening to fans and/or the member corps' concerns, and are willing to try different things. I'll be real interested to hear what, if any, difference the open roof will make.

Again, I applaud DCI for trying something different: might be the same, might be better, might be worse, but at least they're trying something different.

I wonder if they'll keep the black curtain in place for the first corps performing under the roof at Quarters. I don't know if it's a big deal to put it up/take it down, but I would assume it they'll try to put it up/take it down.

I will be very interested to hear the difference. One great thing about keeping it shut for the first several corps, then opening it up later: there will be a clear A/B comparison. It will be a bit skewed, since the crowd size will be different (the fewer bodies in the stands the fewer bodies absorb the sound), but there should be a fairly obvious difference, especially between the last corps playing with roof closed vs. the first corp playing roof open. I'll be real curious to hear:

1. Performance difference. I'll want to hear what the sound is like from Quarters to Semi's from the performer's stand point. Will it be a huge sound difference from the field?

2. Environment difference. With the temperature going from air conditioned (I assume) to open room, will it potentially get real hot/muggy/uncomfortable with the roof open? Growing up in nearby Central OH, the humidity in August can REALLY suck. I know it's a part of life in drum corps, and certainly there will have been worse Championship venues for humidity. But going from a climate controlled, cooled environment to hot and muggy might not be what the fans want (especially if the sound difference is minimal).

3. Real sound difference from the stands. From what I've been told from staffers, it might not really be that much of a difference. Roof open or closed, LOS is a HUGE barn! The roof open might help a little bit, but if it is as cavernous as it looks on TV it will still be a bit boomy, even with the roof open.

And what happens if the forecast is rain for Quarterfinals? Will DCI completely scrap the idea, or will they try to make it up at Semi's if the forecast Fri. is clear?

Either way, I like that DCI is obviously listening to fans and/or the member corps' concerns, and are willing to try different things. I'll be real interested to hear what, if any, difference the open roof will make.

Good for DCI for showing something to the masses. I would also hope that they have some technical people there to take empirical data. I know, it's difficult, but we need some objective data.