The Roof Will Be Open

At first glance, this move is surprising. When I asked Dan Acheson after Quarterfinals last year why in the world the roof was closed on a perfect day weather-wise, he said that the roof will ALWAYS be closed, as if that were the plan from the beginning. He almost seemed incredulous that anyone would want it opened, when "we have have the ability to present a uniform and predictable environment for every corps." He added that the building gets too hot when the roof is open (no A/C) because there is very poor circulation. However, he also said that they can't use the curtain system with an open roof because wind could damage it or bring it down. :tongue:

After further reflection, this tells me that they must feel that the as-yet unspecified "enhancements" to the sound/echo-control measures that were discussed a few months ago won't make much difference. Imagine - they say they are going to put up more curtains and other sound absorbers, etc. that will make it sound great inside LOS even with a closed roof. If they left the roof closed for Quarterfinals and the sound is still bad, even with the enhancements, then people will still cry for the roof to be opened. If they open it, even if it makes no difference and the sound is STILL bad, at least they can say they tried and people will shut-up about it. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen. The question is, how long can DCI afford to keep the Championships in LOS if the fans stop coming?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After further reflection, this tells me that they must feel that the as-yet unspecified "enhancements" to the sound/echo-control measures that were discussed a few months ago won't make much difference. Imagine - they say they are going to put up more curtains and other sound absorbers, etc. that will make it sound great inside LOS even with a closed roof. If they left the roof closed for Quarterfinals and the sound is still bad, even with the enhancements, then people will still cry for the roof to be opened. If they open it, even if it makes no difference and the sound is STILL bad, at least they can say they tried and people will shut-up about it. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen. The question is, how long can DCI afford to keep the Championships in LOS if the fans stop coming?

Absolutely love the automatic negativity/doom and gloom. It did take about 4.5 hours for the negativity, at least.

I know, I know: shocking for DCP... :tongue:

At first glance, this move is surprising. When I asked Dan Acheson after Quarterfinals last year why in the world the roof was closed on a perfect day weather-wise, he said that the roof will ALWAYS be closed, as if that were the plan from the beginning. He almost seemed incredulous that anyone would want it opened, when "we have have the ability to present a uniform and predictable environment for every corps." He added that the building gets too hot when the roof is open (no A/C) because there is very poor circulation. However, he also said that they can't use the curtain system with an open roof because wind could damage it or bring it down. :tongue:

...and that's what really grinds my gears... :smile:

One of the "promotion" points of LOS was that the roof was "retractable". It's pretty insulting to see that your impression was that the "plan" all along was for the roof to ALWAYS be closed! Why bother bringing up the fact that the roof could be opened if that was the intent! :smile::tongue::lol:

Edited by jjeffeory

Or, maybe it could be that opening the roof is part of the as-yet unspecified "enhancements" and that, in combination, it might make an improvement.

Or it could be that they'll stretch perforated Saran wrap across the open roof to keep the cool in, let the heat out, and only let the echo escape while keeping the crisp attacks and full volume contained inside. :tongue:

Either way, it's all speculation and we can be happy for some action on DCI's part. Your choice.

Either way, it's all speculation and we can be happy for some action on DCI's part. Your choice.

Yes, it's all speculation, but that's the problem today. Some action isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's better to leave things alone.

Golly gee, the parallels to DCI and our current government in the context of the above sentence are astounding! :tongue:

And DCI announces this on the same day that they announce that the San Antonio super regional outdoors. I really don't think that was coincidence.

Maybe someone in Indianapolis is finally coming to the realization that holding drum corps events under a closed roof is a bad idea. Really bad. Extradordinarily bad. Like Captain E.J. Smith, sailing the Titanic through an iceberg field, at top speed. Or Amelia Earhardt, trying to fly across the Pacific without enough gas. Or John McCain running for president.

Maybe this will lead to a sea change at DCI. Maybe we will see sunlight or starlight over more and more events. Maybe the folks in the Hoosier state have realized that holding these championships indoors is a really bad idea. :tongue:

Now all we need for them to do is to admit that electronics and B-flat bugles were both bad ideas, and they want to roll back the clock to 1999. But maybe I ask for too much.....

This was my interpretation of the article as well. It sounds like DCI does not expect that the "enhancements" they will implement will significantly improve the sound. As a side note, why did only 20 corps vote on this issue as opposed to 22? With a vote that close, it seems that it would be important to include every corps.

Time out.

The judges already said the sound in LOS was fantastic...the best possible environment for listening to corps....

Did something change since that article?

3. Real sound difference from the stands. From what I've been told from staffers, it might not really be that much of a difference. Roof open or closed, LOS is a HUGE barn! The roof open might help a little bit, but if it is as cavernous as it looks on TV it will still be a bit boomy, even with the roof open.

That's what Soundman something (forgive me I forget his DCP name) said.

Cool that they're trying I guess but I'm not too optimistic.